• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm giving this a go at the moment. I've split the lights and they've just had their first coat of primer. Just wondered if anyone had tried using tinting spray on the side light lenses? I'm wondering how it would look with the inserts sprayed black.

If you have facelift sidelights then you can just paint over them totally. A little bit of tinting spray won't be too bad, but don't go nuts as the sidelights aren't very bright as they are. Maybe fit some really bright LEDs if you tint them, to combat the tint.

If you have facelift sidelights then you can just paint over them totally. A little bit of tinting spray won't be too bad, but don't go nuts as the sidelights aren't very bright as they are. Maybe fit some really bright LEDs if you tint them, to combat the tint.

I've already got LED bulbs in there so they are pretty bright. I just thought it might look odd if the sidelights were clear. I haven't got the facelift sidelights, just the jspec orange indicators. They're also being tinted at the moment.

I've already got LED bulbs in there so they are pretty bright. I just thought it might look odd if the sidelights were clear. I haven't got the facelift sidelights, just the jspec orange indicators. They're also being tinted at the moment.

It isn't as noticeable as you think but a little bit of tint won't do any harm :)

When putting them back together did you use additional sealant, or just reheat the lights and push back together?

Have to judge it really. I've only had to use additional sealant once. As long as it is all the way round and looks like a reasonable amount you will be fine. People often overkill the amount of sealant that is used and end up with problems.

Worst case scenario is there isn't enough and you just pull them apart and stick some more sealant in. If you go with too much to begin with it will be a nightmare.

• 1 month later...
How did the facelift style with glass lenses turn out Probox? It's a good combination I think. Do the chrome rings detach or must you mask them when painting the inside a different colour?

I was really impressed with how they turned out. So much easier than I thought it would be.

The rings had to be masked but that only took ten minutes or so.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That sealent is really tough stuff, and it cools fast becoming hard again. When putting the lenses back on I assume you just reverse the same process to open them? 80 degrees C for 10 minutes then push the lenses back into place? I'm not looking forward to this bit.

I've refurbished my facelift inserts with the original colour as the paint was bubbling near the fog light. Was some kind of reaction when manufatured. But the masking tape used to protect the chrome rings from overspray has pulled some of the chrome away on the inside of the largest ring. :badmood: Now I have to spray those with chrome spray. Maybe it will look even better with a fresh blow over of chrome spray.

That sealent is really tough stuff, and it cools fast becoming hard again. When putting the lenses back on I assume you just reverse the same process to open them? 80 degrees C for 10 minutes then push the lenses back into place? I'm not looking forward to this bit.

That's all I've ever done and not had a single issue. It's a doddle, it's actually easier to put them back together than it is to pull them apart. Just make sure that they are pushed all the way in, keep the pressure on and they will slowly sink into place at each edge. Use the metal clips to keep pressure on them and you will be fine.

I've refurbished my facelift inserts with the original colour as the paint was bubbling near the fog light. Was some kind of reaction when manufatured. But the masking tape used to protect the chrome rings from overspray has pulled some of the chrome away on the inside of the largest ring. :badmood: Now I have to spray those with chrome spray. Maybe it will look even better with a fresh blow over of chrome spray.

I doubt it was a reaction after manufacture, unless they are relatively new? These lights are old and they chip and bubble depending on the moisture and environment they have been subjected to. I've only been unlucky with the chrome once regarding masking tape, the stuff I use is very expensive though so it tends to be less adhesive than the cheaper rolls of tape that I have used. The last time I had this happen I broken edged the tape around the ring so that the area that came away was exposed but the rest of the good chrome was still masked. I then sprayed it with the chrome paint, it looked good considering. It certainly looked better than chrome painting the full ring would have looked, although it's better than silver it's nowhere near chrome.

• 2 months later...

I saw this thread today and bit the bullet....pulled my lights out, stripped them down, in the oven a1 100 degrees for 10 mins and they almost fell apart at the seam.

I also tinted the sidelight lenses and polishe my lenses. I had to paint the chrome rings on mine black as they were peeling anyway. Have to say, I'm very happy with the results. It really brings the front end up to date....:)

I saw this thread today and bit the bullet....pulled my lights out, stripped them down, in the oven a1 100 degrees for 10 mins and they almost fell apart at the seam.

I also tinted the sidelight lenses and polishe my lenses. I had to paint the chrome rings on mine black as they were peeling anyway. Have to say, I'm very happy with the results. It really brings the front end up to date....:)

Im just in the process of doing mine, did you spend more time polishing the outsidfe than the in and how long roughly as a matter of interest.

Im using the Maguires Plastic X but Im sure it still looks a bit yellow.

mine didnt come out perfect, but it was a marked improvement on previous. You should spend a decent amount of time on the inside, you really dont want the hassle of having to redo it again prematurely due to not being happy with the results. Do it once, but do it thoroughly.

Think i used the same as you, i also used megs metal polish as it is more abrasive, i just didnt spend enough time on it, too impatient:p

On the outside of the lenses I 1st used G3 and a damp cloth and polished for around 10 mins. I then wiped them clean and polished for another 10 mins with Auto-Glym Radiant shine paste and then a quick wax coat with some normal Turtle Wax, They came up really good but still not perfectly clear. I barely did anything on the insides, just used the Auto-Glym and then Turtle waxed them. I think that, with plastic lenses as old as these, I was fortunate to get as good I have. I'm very happy.

Farecla G3 is what i used, use a DA or a rotary, you will notice a massive difference. Most of the yellowing is on the outside btw...if you want a crystal clear finish, best thing to do is to sand them down with 1500 then 2000, then polish them back up again, g3 will cut out all the scratches if you buff it right - it will then be crystal clear :) You could also use thinners such as IPA

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...