The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GT74 High Compression Six Speed

Terminator

Thanks Amir, I had heard twin 40's was the way to go. I would have to look at my system and see how I would fit them in. In the short term I may just see if I can replace the HKS. Any pics of twin 40's appreciated. If I go for 1000+bhp I may need to make mods to the exhaust system, so probably do that once.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Whilst the C6 is an awesome NA car in all respects, leaving many high end cars looking silly, my car is in a completely different league. For a raw, adrenaline inducing, pant staining experience, my car has it. Get a big blower fitted and lets settle this once and for all.;)

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Wez for pointing me to a combined snap off and boss for my steering wheel. The kit looks well made, having the familiar ten ball bearing locking design of the strongest quick release mechanisms. I was initially a little concerned about getting the horn to work, as I know Wez ignored the horn connections initially as his car is for track use. It took a little work to get the boss to fit round the exiting airbag/horn plug socket. ( I don’t think this boss would work with an air bag system without significant modification to the electrical connections) , so not a simple plug and play as described by the seller, but worth the effort to maintain the convince /security/safety advantage of a snap off.

The first picture shows how much of the standard horn/air bag plug had to be removed, the blue dashed line shows the out line of the edge of the boss, the red dashed line shows the extent of the plug socket that had to be cut away flush with the mounting face of the boss.

There are several advantages this system, over other snap off bosses; the boss is very short, sitting down close to the standard steering wheel cowl, making getting in and out of the car with the wheel off, much easier in caged cars. Refitting the wheel can be a single handed action, with a satisfying solid click locking it in position. This is real bonus for those who enjoy racing, as the wheel can be fitted very quickly wearing gloves. Best of all is a return to a stock driving position, which means a better seat position with wrists resting on the wheel. While similar, there are subtle design differences that make the boss incompatible with other ten ball systems, a bonus for security.

• 9 months later...
Great project Phil, just got through the lot of it. It's given me plenty to think about with the next stages of my build :thumbs:

Your pm got me reading about my build again and it reminded me of the great fun we had doing it and how it felt to drive at WOT in high revs. The car has been kept in a heated garage since November last year, it has been rolled around and the engine turned regularly but never fired up. I was seriously thinking of selling the car and heading off in a completely different direction.

Last weekend I had to move it out of the garage so the car detailer could use the space to give one of my other cars a going over in preparation for the winter weather. Having read the thread again I though it would be fun to go for more power, so instead of pushing it out I decided to drive it out. Initially the fuel system sounded like a jacuzzi, once the air was purged from the system, I briefly turned the engine with the fuel system switched of to get oil distributed, then one quick turn of the starter and it started like a dream. Another great mapping job from Ryan, especially given that he never had the chance to do a cold start map. Sitting in, hearing and feeling the car come alive again, has convinced me to take it further, starting with Syvecs. So hopefully there will be more food for thought to follow.

• 3 weeks later...

Multiple nozzles is my plan, already had my intake system thread to take them. Won't run them all the time, just via a selector, when needed for head room on high boost I have designed a hidden tank just need to turn the design into a protype. It will be a winter project as time is tight at the moment. I am looking forward to seeing how much Ryan can get out of it with the ID2000's on road fuel.

Nice to see your still pushing this setup Phil :thumbs:

So am I, it would have been a real shame to sell it and see what someone else could do. I am in no rush, I quite like the bit by bit approach, if find it more fun. Make changes, experience and enjoy the results, then go forward a bit more. I know the motor has massive potential, half the fun is the journey getting there.

Thanks Amir.

It feels good to be planning and getting things rolling again. I have decided to go for a new clutch, another OS Giken, for reliability, but the R4C their top of the racing range quad plate, should handle 1200 bhp. I have a bit of work to do on the meth system, before committing to the final design. I went for

a separation of meth from the fuel system to keep the car fully road legal and to avoid any component incompatability with the meth.

Having decided to keep my car and push it further, I have been reviewing its use and have decided to work on handeling and traction to make the car a road legal track car.

Thanks to Chris Wilson's great review of the Giken diff in his Skyline track car, I have placed an order for a Giken Super lock diff.

Next on the list is some much improved suspension componants. Put all that together and it might just go round corners fast. Will post up pictures of parts and build progress as the bits arrive and get added to the car over winter.

I hear Spar is lovely in Spring.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on track preparations so far, thanks Chris and Nic, for helping me decide upon my suspension and handling upgrades.

For improved traction in and out of corners, the Giken Suprlock diff. The performance, longevity and engineering quality of these units are top class and rated highly throughout the racing world.

For improved circuit handling, I am hoping this combination will be hard to beat; Ikeya Formula suspension components, Chris Wilson revalved Bilsteins and Chris Wilson Spec Eibach springs. All of the above fitted and tuned to perfection by Chris.

Just a quick update on track preparations so far, thanks Chris and Nic, for helping me decide upon my suspension and handling upgrades.

For improved traction in and out of corners, the Giken Suprlock diff. The performance, longevity and engineering quality of these units are top class and rated highly throughout the racing world.

For improved circuit handling, I am hoping this combination will be hard to beat; IKEA Formula suspension components, Chris Wilson revalved Eibachs and Chris Wilson Spec springs. All of the above fitted and tuned to perfection by Chris.

Looking forward to seeing how this goes :) Would be good to compare Dandan's and your setup on the same track too. Had a little giggle at the idea of Ikea selling suspension components though - they'd probably come with complimentary rollmops :D

• 1 year later...

The time has come to sell up. I can't drive a manual car any more, and it seems a pity to waste such a great set up. So very reluctantly I will have to let the car go. I have been off the board for ages so have really lost touch with the community. So if any of you know of any one who might be looking for a manual big single in the near future (not immediately as I am not mobile) please let them know. The following figures are approximate as I can't even get into my garage. Mileage 50K+ Miles on race engine and turbo 5k, two oil changes since build, fortunately I did strip it for the track so it is road legal. The spec is as listed in my garage.