The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Good luck to the Marham Supras this weekend

tooquicktostop

Big thanks to Si and the RAF guys for organising this. Absolutely brilliant organisation that would put quite a few "professional" track day companies to shame.

Also thanks to Ryan for not only driving from Oxford to Marham, Marham to Oxford, Oxford to Marham, Marham to Oxford! But also for taking me out in his Formula 27 kit-car, then letting me drive it with him as passenger (sorry for the downshift instead of up!) but then also for letting me take it out on my own (sorry for spinning it out of the fastest corner on the lap!)

Note to self - next time take more tools and lots more changes of clothes, and most importantly something to lie on! (I think I visited most puddles in Norfolk over the course of the weekend!)

Am pleased everyone got home relatively unscathed. Gutted that I couldn't get Wes back on the road, but glad he got some recovery sorted.

Was also good to meet lots of people. At long last I got to put some faces to some names/avatars!

Cheers,

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that for me is all a bit naff. I'd seriously expect a working airfield to be spotless. Lets face it I sit and listen to FOD (foreign object damage) lectures on a weekly basis. I have been on multiple FOD sweeps of many a runway and they have sweepers on them every morning. I refuse to accept that a tornado bases runway was covered in gravel. All I can assume is they routed you through the carpark or something like that. Put it another way I did an airfield day on a disused ww2 yank airfield that never gets any fod sweeps and not a single chip on any ones paint.

Honestly mate thats how it is there, its rubbish. I worked there for 8 years and the sweepers were always out every morning but never seemed to make much difference! The track consisted of the main runway, ajoining taxi ways and VAS was the pits.

When I post my camera footage you will hear just how bad it is as the mic was just above the rear wheel arch.

The recovery guy was great as my car is very very low now.

Poor fella had his finger in the wheel when we was unloading it, he is now missing the top which is not so good, we got him cleaned up and stopped the bleeding :(

This was my first time on a track and it was amazing !!!... my brother was show me how to take the corners and gear change correctly and after awhile i got the hang of it, for the first 2 laps i was shaking and could not find the gear i required , but after a while it was just like riding a bike. Had a few issues but only minor ones , throttle cable jumped of the TB and wrapped its self around the throttle switch causing it to stay wide open, switch the car off immidiately , then noticed my kevlar fan belt ripping its self of the pulleys

I have been through 3 fan belts already and i think its the after market pulleys thats the problem, they are coming off soon. Big thanks to Ash for giving me a spare fan belt that he had. It was the first time i have ever been sideways and spinning round at 90mph ever !!!!!!! Ash you are a nutter !!!!, then he went into this other mode , rather then sticking to the track he decided to use the rest of the runway !!! i think he was in the zone .... we only relised it when i said "where we going ?" as the track was on the other side of the car !!!...LOL.

I stuck behind JamieP car on several laps , it was like the Dukes of Hazzard !!! this pug was behind me wanting to over take , i looked over and thought "You dont want to be doing that !!!" as Jamie goes sideways again into another corner... I dont think Jamie understands "Effective Cornering"..LOL but it looked fantastic from behind shame i could not get the video camera working ..

The car on the straight was awesome ,I reached the top end of 6th gear and the rev counter just stopped at 7000rpm and would not go further , i was wondering why that was until i relised on the GPS it was showing 195mph .....Had fun with Ash car, that is a fast car.. he had that edge top end on me by about 1 car, there was some speeds we got up to .....

Near to the end of the day unfortunately i managed to stap my Gearstick !!!! bloddy after market BM shifter, so i had to use a 1/4 socket and mole gripes to change gear , was rather a bitch when going into reverse.

The day took its toll on the car , i got a cracked Vband on the exhaust , fan belt went , my front end is pitted , my wheels have super heated brakepad ash on it , my new pads need changing ,my gearbox has a wine on it and my rear defuser got ripped off on the long runs due to the pressure beneath the car !!!. Next trip iam using a different car where the body work does not cost a fortune and wheels are cheap !!!...

It was nice to meet everyone , John (pig) you nutter driver , garry(gaz1) , Colin(colssop) Mike B , jamiep , ASH , and all the rest that i cant remember your names....

The guy with the recovery truck asked me if i new a blue supra with a guy called Pig as he gave him a lift home last year :lol:

haha, he's a good lad! Shame you didnt pop to the local shop and get beers and food. I had a great journey home last time!

Glad to hear everyone had fun.

I did over £1000 of damage to my car at Marham 2 years back just because of the stone chipping. Had to have bumper, wings, bonnet, windscreen surround and mirrors all repainted. Basically anything that pointed forward!

As it sounds like things haven't changed, then I'll not be going back. I'm all for raising money for charity, but when it costs me a grand to repair the damage to my car, forget it!

Agreed though, it is a hell of a lot of fun.

:)

Here's a copule of photos; the supra on slicks ;)

check out the flat spot on the front tyre; that's what happens when you try to go up the runway sideways, at whatever speed 7k is in 3rd gear.....

love that corner..

No paint damage for me really, plastic stillen bumpers rule :)

IMGA0006.jpg

IMGA0008.jpg

IMGA0009.jpg

Thats cheap! What are you having done?

That was for bonnet/bumper/both wings/wing mirrors and one skirt but that place has turned around and said they cant do it for 4 weeks now so its going in another place tomorrow but its costing a bit more, £800 now but at least ill have it back looking mint for the weekend.

gonna get the wheels refurbed aswell.

Looks like I'll have to do the same...I might get away with just the bumper being done but need to wash the car first for a full assesment. Also ripped my side skirt off during the slight 'off' I had, will have to remove, re-drill and re-seal that:rolleyes:

I've somehow broken the battery tray tie-down bracket as well..found the top clamp swinging freely and I think maybe some battery acid has leaked out onto my alarm. VERY Expensive day all in all!

Few pics of mine:

That was for bonnet/bumper/both wings/wing mirrors and one skirt but that place has turned around and said they cant do it for 4 weeks now so its going in another place tomorrow but its costing a bit more, £800 now but at least ill have it back looking mint for the weekend.

gonna get the wheels refurbed aswell.

Thats REALLY cheap. I'd be more like £1500 + VAT

And turned round in 4 days...... are you sure they are going to do it that quickly?

I like the sound of that place.

I dropped mine for the full spray on sunday night (at work)

We havent started it yet cause i have to order loads of stuff, wheel arch trims, engine undertray, screen, both bumpers etc.

fun and games with an old car eh!

Did your mate get any other vids or was he only filiming you?

Looks like I'll have to do the same...I might get away with just the bumper being done but need to wash the car first for a full assesment. Also ripped my side skirt off during the slight 'off' I had, will have to remove, re-drill and re-seal that:rolleyes:

I've somehow broken the battery tray tie-down bracket as well..found the top clamp swinging freely and I think maybe some battery acid has leaked out onto my alarm. VERY Expensive day all in all!

http://img.photobuckecom/albums/v481/ACuthell/DSCN0038.jpg

I saw the marks where you came off. If it make you feel better i did the same last year!

Thats REALLY cheap. I'd be more like £1500 + VAT

And turned round in 4 days...... are you sure they are going to do it that quickly?

I like the sound of that place.

I dropped mine for the full spray on sunday night (at work)

We havent started it yet cause i have to order loads of stuff, wheel arch trims, engine undertray, screen, both bumpers etc.

fun and games with an old car eh!

Did your mate get any other vids or was he only filiming you?

This is the place doing it,only up the rd and ive had them do a few jobs for me before and its always been the highest standard:)

http://www.motofix-arc.co.uk/highwycombe.asp

Sorry mate stuart was only filming me.

I saw the marks where you came off. If it make you feel better i did the same last year!

A little! With all that space I thought it would only be me who somehow managed to hit the grass. Nearly took out a runway light as well:D

Got a good video of it...just trying to upload all my footage now.