The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Going Single!

Daston

Also whats the evidence to go with a T04Z turbo rather than a GT35R or even a Precision turbo? HKS rates the t04Z at almost 1500GBP and the GT35R is literally HALF that and the Precision equivalent is a tad less than that.

I think Nic recommended the kit but replace the turbo with a GT35R.

I think Nic recommended the kit but replace the turbo with a GT35R.

Yep the GT35R has a faster spool up and more low down grunt as that is what I am after. On our roads I dont see the point of having 800+bhp but not being able to pull out over take and pull in again without either having to wait for it to spool up or droping down 3 gears.

Daston, you are SO right. I drive a few Skylines with serious power, but in reality they are a total joke on the road. Half the power with double the area under the power curve would transform them into road rockets. What's the turbo Wes is currently using, size wise? That's an excellent compromise for a road car.

Here is a graph Nic sent me of his power curve shown against other turbo set ups. His is the Blue line on the right.

Also am I right in thinking with the AEM stand alone unit I need

AEM 3.5bar MAP Sensor

AEM Intake Air Sensor

AEM Wideband

HKS DLI

Also where is the best place to pick all this up for a reasonable price?

I have not thought that far ahead yet lol I have talked to Interpro (as they are local) and also contacted Gaz @ Envy (read your PM's mate ;p)

Its still in the planning stage at the mo as it will be around 2-3 weeks until I start buying things (new financial year and new salary!)

Also am I right in thinking with the AEM stand alone unit I need

AEM 3.5bar MAP Sensor

AEM Intake Air Sensor

AEM Wideband

HKS DLI

Map sensor : yes if you want more than 1.2bar

Intake Sensor : use the stock one (if you are jspec)

Wideband : yes

DLI : yes if you want more than 0.5bar boost :D

Guest suprabass

Just to put in my two pence.

I have a TO4z on my 1.5JZ and it spools up quite well and delivers a healthy 580 RWHP at 1bar using an HKS F-con if it helps.

Ive been thinking on changing to a T71 though but afraid the lag might uspset the current setup.

ALSO

if anyone is looking parts like turbo kits, Rads, fans etc I can extremely recommend Kyle at Velocity Performance, top bloke and company have dealt with over the past few months building my drift supra and has been A+, delivery in 2-3days from the states.

TO4z on my 1.5JZ

What is 'spools up quite well' though....a T04Z is a T67, non dbb, I wouldnt like to imagine the lag on engine displacement of 1500cc:rolleyes:

Unless you want a T51R(of which I cant see the reason) then I wouldnt touch a HKS turbo as there are far cheaper better Garrett and Precision(amongst others) equivalents

The days of the japs know best are long gone

What is 'spools up quite well' though....a T04Z is a T67, non dbb, I wouldnt like to imagine the lag on engine displacement of 1500cc:rolleyes:

Unless you want a T51R(of which I cant see the reason) then I wouldnt touch a HKS turbo as there are far cheaper better Garrett and Precision(amongst others) equivalents

I thought a 1.5JZ was of greater displacement than a 2JZ engine??

Guest suprabass

How do you work out a 1500cc engine???? lol

3ltr 2jzgte bottom end with a 2.5ltr 1jz head lol :rolleyes:

think last time i looked it was still a 3 ltr well 3.1 but hey lol

The T-04Z is DBB.

Garrett make the HKS turbos.

The Japanese still know a thing or 2 about making fast cars.

I would advise on more than just drop in injectors, you seem to be wanting to go about this the right way, go with a full fuel system. uprated fuel rail, pumps...etc. So many folks spend tons of money on doing the single setup, they really lack on the fuel department.
Define "lack on the fuel department" Kyle?

A single pump and good fuel injectors is all that is necessary at the kind of power levels we're talking about here. Why waste money/effort/time on useless fuel rails, lines,multi-pump setups, etc that just aren't required?

The T-04Z is DBB.

Garrett make the HKS turbos.

The Japanese still know a thing or 2 about making fast cars.

Yeah fookd that one up;)

The T04Z is a dbb, the T04R is not iirc?

Dont get me wrong the japs still rock, but only at a price, they used to be way out in front, but now they seem to be on par with the US(think US just caught up), but bang for buck their still more expensive...

BL T67 > Garret T67, Garret T67 = HKS T04Z with pretty Compressor housing for £500 more :search:

Yeah fookd that one up;)

The T04Z is a dbb, the T04R is not iirc?

Dont get me wrong the japs still rock, but only at a price, they used to be way out in front, but now they seem to be on par with the US(think US just caught up), but bang for buck their still more expensive...

BL T67 > Garret T67, Garret T67 = HKS T04Z with pretty Compressor housing for £500 more :search:

The HKS kits are still the best quality available IMO and include absolutely everything you need for the install down to a heat shield for the turbo, reflective wrap, all gaskets needed, etc. Not true for some of the US kits. Another advantage of the HKS kits is that they recirculate the wastegate back into the downpipe.

Plus they are designed to fit a RHD Supra, so everything fits perfectly, something most US kits don't. If you compare the US and HKS kits side by side you realise why they are slightly more.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/4619/picture2gi2.png

• 2 weeks later...
Define "lack on the fuel department" Kyle?

A single pump and good fuel injectors is all that is necessary at the kind of power levels we're talking about here. Why waste money/effort/time on useless fuel rails, lines,multi-pump setups, etc that just aren't required?

Jake, some argue the stock fuel rail starves some of the cylinders once power is being made. For instance, the rail is feeding 6 cylinders, the first 5 from the feed line are going to take alot of the fuel and starve the #6 cylinder. Thats why most aftermarket rails are a dual feed, single return to help eliminate that.

Most folks spend good money on a turbo that can support 700hp and the pump isn't safe (to me at least) over 550hp. So now you have a turbo kit you can't use to the fullest. So thats why i mention lack on the fuel department.

Its personal preference