The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Kaaz LSD

JamieP

I have stripped at least 3 new TRD JZA80 LSDs and the ramp angles are definitely biased to less than 50 / 50 torque transfer, power on / power off. Without measuring them I'd say 1.5. I do fiddle with a LOT of LSD's, so I am pretty sure I am correct here :)

Chris, absolutely no disrespect to you or what you are saying. I'm merely going on what TRD themselves state:

The TRD mechanical LSD is 1.5-way selective, and can optionally be switched over to a 2-way without any additional parts. (It can only be 1.5-way on Vitz models and 2-way on FR vehicles.)

With the 1.5-way, the LSD functions most during acceleration, and is weaker when not accelerating. (The 1.5-way is designed for novices, since vehicle control becomes more difficult when the engine is used to brake.)

With the 2-way, the LSD functions when not accelerating as well, providing excellent vehicle control under a variety of conditions.

■ Because the limited slip capacity is provided using a number of clutch plates, it exhibits a direct, reliable LSD effect.

^^ That's a direct quote taken from http://www.trdparts.jp/english/parts_lsd_mechanical.html

Now I know they're pretty mild mechanical LSD's when compared to all the drift focussed stuff like Kaaz but they are marketed as 2-way all the same. Perhaps the term is used when the LSD has a strong accel and decel effect? I don't know what qualification they use to classify their diffs - perhaps that's where the difference lies?

Cheers,

Brian.

FR as I understand it is a japanese market acronym for layout type meaning Front engined Rear wheel drive - the others being FF (Vitz / Yaris), MR, RR and AWD.

The bit I highlighted in bold is them talking about their LSD's in general without mention of any particular model codes. Vitz which they then mention is the JDM badge for the Yaris which is FF layout, likely the only one of which they do an LSD for and that is why there's a mechanical restriction on it being 1.5 way only - part of the gearbox assembly etc?

Cheers,

Brian.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a harrop large capacity diff cover fitted today and it seems to have sorted the diff, holds twice the oil and no noise from it now, although i have discovered that i have two very badly worn cv joints on the rear driveshafts (major play in them and part of the cause to the clunking i was getting) so two uprated driveshafts on order from the states, should be here next tuesday.

Had a harrop large capacity diff cover fitted today and it seems to have sorted the diff, holds twice the oil and no noise from it now, although i have discovered that i have two very badly worn cv joints on the rear driveshafts (major play in them and part of the cause to the clunking i was getting) so two uprated driveshafts on order from the states, should be here next tuesday.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/jamie450x/harrop003.jpg

Who do you use for parts from the US, I am in need of 2 drive shafts for the Camaro and finding it had to get hold of them :)

Who do you use for parts from the US, I am in need of 2 drive shafts for the Camaro and finding it had to get hold of them :)

Monkfish is sorting the drivshafts for me but there is lots of traders on the US pontiac GTO forum (basicly same car) that deliver to uk.