The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Currently Detailing Ant's (Fat Controllers) Supra

Tom

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a normal sponge will scratch paintwork as it traps dirt to the surface of paint which then gets dragged all over the car, then some people even chuck the dirty bucket water straight over the car afterwards! lol

And for those people who still aren't convinced by the two bucket method...

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/detailing/two-bucket-00.jpg

The bucket on the left is my wash bucket, the other is the rinse one - that's not a shadow, that's grotty water that people with black buckets don't see. This is on a car that was already pretty clean and had been foamed, each particle that makes that water dirty is a potential scratch in the making :blink:

good question!

for my own car all I do is give a light rinse with water from a hose as a jet wash would most likely cause more scratches if left to build up with dirt, then I add a layer of snow foam and rinse but for people who don't have this then cleaning with the 2 bucket method (one for soapy water and the other for rinsing out) and by using a washmitt rather than a sponge! some sponges are ok, but only detailing type ones, ie made by meguires etc,

the build up of scratches in Ant's paint was all from washing with a sponge and using the local jet wash along with using the brushes they supply!

a normal sponge will scratch paintwork as it traps dirt to the surface of paint which then gets dragged all over the car, then some people even chuck the dirty bucket water straight over the car afterwards! lol

Hmm... I do some of that (sponge etc), but not the dirty water thing, so I want to know what I, as an amateur can do to correct all that, especially that spring's on its way I want to be out and about in it more.

Obviously I'll wash (2 buckets - Michael :shock:), clay, polish and wax, but will that get rid of those nasty marks, or can anyone recommend a company in the South East that does this sort of thing?

Amazing, you guys really pamper your cars, I'll try and remember to add a pic of my Skyline, to show the opposite extreme tomorrow :) All credit to you Tom, the difference is remarkable, but would be wasted on me :) There's been some mice in my car for weeks, I put bait down, so maybe some are dead mice, but all the bait went, and the droppings are still accumulating, so either more have got in, or they love the stuff. Having no engine, gearbox, or engine loom in it gives easy entry to rodents :(

that's incredible! I never realised that detailing would actually remove that much of the scratches etc. I'm tempted to get this done before show season I'm happy to spend endless hours cleaning mine but I never get that sort of finnish!!!

Well done guys :) Just out of interested what sort of prices have people paid to have their cars detailed?

Amazing, you guys really pamper your cars, I'll try and remember to add a pic of my Skyline, to show the opposite extreme tomorrow :) All credit to you Tom, the difference is remarkable, but would be wasted on me :) There's been some mice in my car for weeks, I put bait down, so maybe some are dead mice, but all the bait went, and the droppings are still accumulating, so either more have got in, or they love the stuff. Having no engine, gearbox, or engine loom in it gives easy entry to rodents :(

Stick a cat in there to live for a while and don't feed it. Job done!

Then when the mice are gone the dogs will have something to play with too.

I really need to do the Honda, the bonnet has LOTS of tiny stonechips that I'm sure a good polish would sort out, and there's a light scratch down the passenger side now which is really annoying - plus I think my car is the perfect colour to show off this kind of work!!