The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What breaks are you using?

Firestorm

I have a habit of warping UK Brake disks. I've gone through a set of OEM disks and a set of DBA disks in less then 10,000 km just with road use.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Can anyone recomend a disk that dosen't Warp easily??

I've done 20k road miles plus 5 trackdays on one set of discs.

Yeah it's the smaller ones, but I have got a feeling that one of the front brakes is binding which could be causing it, but I'm replacing the pads on friday so I will be able to have a good nosey.

You MUST MUST MUST sort out any binding in caliper pistons, or the sliders for the calipers. The sliders should move with light finger pressure. If either are seized pad wear will be terrible, and any disc will warp or even crack. Have a good look before fitting your new pads.

I have a habit of warping UK Brake disks. I've gone through a set of OEM disks and a set of DBA disks in less then 10,000 km just with road use.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Can anyone recomend a disk that dosen't Warp easily??

Any disk if you don't brake hard and then park up before letting it cool off properly. The majority of brake warpage takes place when the car is stationary ;) If you measure the runout on a warped disk you'll probably find that one quarter of the disk is fatter than the rest - it's the bit which sits under the brake pads and cools down slower than the rest of the disk.

Brake disks can take a surprising amount of time to cool down. I once hammered down from 140mph to zero as hard as I could on a sliproad at night, then tootled home the next 3 or 4 miles using gears and planning ahead so I didn't touch the brakes until on my driveway. I then spat on a front disk and it sizzled off instantly :blink:

If you do have to park up with warm brakes, e.g. at something like TOTB or a track day when you missed a cooldown lap, roll the car about 1/3rd of a wheel-turn every couple of minutes until they are cool, to evenly distribute the cooling.

-Ian

Any disk if you don't brake hard and then park up before letting it cool off properly. The majority of brake warpage takes place when the car is stationary ;) If you measure the runout on a warped disk you'll probably find that one quarter of the disk is fatter than the rest - it's the bit which sits under the brake pads and cools down slower than the rest of the disk.

Brake disks can take a surprising amount of time to cool down. I once hammered down from 140mph to zero as hard as I could on a sliproad at night, then tootled home the next 3 or 4 miles using gears and planning ahead so I didn't touch the brakes until on my driveway. I then spat on a front disk and it sizzled off instantly :blink:

If you do have to park up with warm brakes, e.g. at something like TOTB or a track day when you missed a cooldown lap, roll the car about 1/3rd of a wheel-turn every couple of minutes until they are cool, to evenly distribute the cooling.

-Ian

Very good advice for cooling down