My new Supra/rebuilding Dude's drag car

Homer

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats m8 - good to see you've got it up and running. Bit of an epic! Bet you got a real buzz when she fired up :)

Nerve wracking is more like it! Was just waiting for something to explode or fail :D

After looking at the video a few times it seems to be knocking/squealing a bit after 20s or so of running, though this couldn't be heard from the cabin :(

Hopefully it's just the box or PAS pump, otherwise it's going to be a PITA to sort out.

Cheers guys, it's a major milestone getting it moving under it's own power again :)

The gearbox oil is proving a major issue as I cannot get the filler bolt undone (thread in supra chat), so until thats solved it won't be started again.

Everything else is pretty minor and is really just service items or minor fault finding.

The mechanic from my local garage (Thames Valley MOT's) lives up the road and is going to help out doing all the checks, making sure its safe and driveable prior to getting the car trailed to the MOT centre. Can't book that yet until the gearbox fluid is in...

• 3 weeks later...

Not had any time in the last 3 weeks to do any work on the car, but thankfully have the weekend free.

Fitted the front undertrays today, refitted the bumper so it's now on properly and lines up at last. Put the dash back together, fully fitted the ECU and fitted both seats. Tidied up the boot, fuel ECU and pump area and fitted all the panels back in. It finally looks like a normal supra :)

Tried to change the suspension height on the Teins but they were not shifting. Might leave that one for a garage to do!

Also sorted out a mechanic to come and sort the gearbox filler bolt out so hopefully that'll get done next week.

Job for the weekend is to rewire the rear lights, which is going to take a while as the loom is extremely hacked up. Will also try and figure out why the windows aren't working..

Started it for the 2nd time today (with a working video camara this time!), she started right away and runs really sweet.

A short and boring video of it starting:

W8Dvq93sxPo

Started on the rear light wiring and found out why one set of lights was permanently lit, the other one worked intermittently...

Extensively hacked wiring with no less than 6 relays fitted. I am not sure what’s going on here so have returned it to stock using some spare rear light looms, *think* all the lights should now be working but found the bulbs on the spare lights and the ones on the car are partly blown.

Checked the brake lights and the system seems to be working, although the boot lid LED strip has some LEDs not working, hopefully it's just dry solder otherwise that'll have to be repaired too. It was from a donor car so wasn't able to check it before now.

Also found the rear tow bar hooks and a tow bar wiring fitting are still there, it might live to see another trailer again :D

rear lights wiring.jpg

Thanks guys :) It's been a long slog to get it this far

Dude's gonna want it back :innocent:

Not with an NA engine he isn't :D I actually had a chat with him face to face at the AFR meet and apart from being great to see John, he was enthusiastic about the car and the plans for it :)

It was mentioned elseware but I bought an engine a few weeks back, but am not sure if I'll fit it. It's a 454 big block Chevy, but is pretty much stock and therefore very heavy. Need to sit down and decide where to head with the car...

Thanks guys :)

Rear lights/brake light, reverse and indicators are now rewired and working perfectly :) Pic below shows things tidied up a bit. Replaced a bulb on the fron sidelights so thats them done.

Still need to do the fog light mod and only just realised there are no side indicators! Will need to retrofit those for safetys sake.

Image068ees.jpg