Best all round single turbo

mr keef

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't say whether anyone has tried one, I got it for my Skyline engine, but have decided to stay with twins.

HKS twins would be awesome on a skyline chris, much like the Mines built one, wise choice! Are you losing the 4wd once its been built?

PS I know its defeating the purpose a little but if it were me and money were no object I would be interested in a custom manifold and set of uprated twins (new units) not hybrids ;)running on the sequential setup

If not it would be a GT35r I thinkor possibly an apexi rx6 style turbo if I could bloody find one

im pretty pleased with mine, its pretty much a t67 with an anti surge housing, but has some fancy name devised by sound performance.

With a mixture of 264cams in and out, built bottom end, aem etc, and this blower, im producing a nats off 570bhp at only 1.1bar. Its super responsive, but you can also drive off boost if need be, which i hear is kind hard with the smaller t60-1, t61s etc :)

Looking forward to seeing what mine can produce at 1.4-1.6bar, with the help of Ryan maybe ;)

graph of dyno results is on my sig

See know one has mentioned the t51r yet??? I think this is a superb turbo that isn't laggy with good mid range to top end grunt... But im sure the smaller ones have allot lower end punch.. I was very impressed by wez's setup...

sorry for the off topic but have you any engine bay pics of your supe bud?

Edit also didnt Keef have a T51?

The 35r I had was on a '68 housing, and it lacked some cohones in big roads. Having seen what the .81 housing did to my 4088r, I would liked to have had the '81 housing on the 35r.

I'm happy with the '81 gt4088r I have now, would not want more and although a bit of a mess in 1st and 2nd, it's as big a man tool as I would ever want. :)

The 35r I had was on a '68 housing, and it lacked some cohones in big roads. Having seen what the .81 housing did to my 4088r, I would liked to have had the '81 housing on the 35r.

I have a .82 housing on my GT35R, pulls hard to the rev limit, for the type of driving I do here it is perfect :)

Im sure we will convert Andy:d i use to think my T88 was great till i got the gt4088, trouble was all the small tubby supes id been in was not to a very good spec so i was never impressed with them.

Now i know what its all about;)

Hahahahahahaha!!!! I have a great map and i think mine comes on boost quicker than Keef's from what i've heard from the man himself Mr G.....:D

• 4 years later...

I've been away for a while, focused on things other than my Supra - I'm slowly but hopefully surely going to be back on the scene again and upgrading my car in the process.

Just going through my old subscriptions and having a bit of a tidy up, this made me smile...

Go small, for fun on the rd 500/550bhp and fast spool is great fun and all that is needed imo,

I want to upgrade from my GT40(88??), it's fine in term of lag and very good on power & torque, but newer turbo designs must be able to make my car even better in terms of spool AND power/torque?? I'm also worried - perhaps because I freely admit I know next to nowt about this aspect of my car - that it might turn out to be one of those truck-spec turbos that goes pop when put into a petrol setup. Maybe I'm worrying over nothing, maybe not.

What's the latest set of seemingly randomly selected numbers (i.e. the turbo model) I should be considering for say, a modest 650-700bhp with HIGH torque figures and what sort of cost to buy? I'm not interested in a setup that would result in big bhp but low torque.

Current dyno plot (thanks Ryan & 2bartuning) - solid line = bhp, dashed line = torque:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]147882[/ATTACH]

Edited by SteveR (see edit history)

PT billet 6766 cea is the latest turbo that everyone is raving about stateside for the street supra, thinking about trying one myself soon.

Cheers Jamie - I see your Supe hasn't stood still whilst I've been away. The 'nothing but the best' approach is something we share in common, I just wish I had the deep pockets to work on my Supra as fast as you have on yours. Very admiring of what you've achieved, very nice. :) Just don't tell me what you've spent else I won't start!!

'Scuse the ignorance on my part when it comes to turbos, but how can that turbo be good for my aims and your aims - isn't someone, or both of us, looking at a compromise? Your cars is pushing almost twice the power I'm after, surely no one turbo can be the best choice for both of these different requirements, or can it? DBB, twin scroll, clever fin designs.... all of the above? Confused. :(