The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil filters - Genuine J or D?

rider

Looking at oil filters you can buy the 90915-YZZD3 for $6 in the USA (recommended by Toyota USA) or you can buy 90915-YZZJ3 (recommended by Toyota UK) for £13 on Treasure Island. The original spec oil filter was 90915-20001 which was superseded by 90915-YZZD1 which you can still buy in the USA for 1JZ and 2JZ applications again for around $6 for one, $5 each for a half case and $4 each for a case.

Does anyone know of any difference from 90915-20001 to 90915-YZZD1 to 90915-YZZD2 to 90915-YZZD3 to 90915-YZZD4 to 90915-YZZJ3 or are they all interchangeable - which is what they seem from the canister size but later numbers seem to also include Toyota diesel engine applications?

I've answered some of my own questions. Seems the later D3 and D4 filters are larger capacity filters than the earlier D1 and D2 which was probably just an evolution to have one filter for both diesel and petrol engines. I've ordered a half case of 90915-YZZD3 with a half case (5 units) worth of sump washers for £42 delivered including freight and taxes.

Good point on eBay filters and the like. It is taking a bit of a punt genuine or counterfeit with anything from eBay unless buying from a legit seller. With Supra parts we have Burrows Toyota as an active eBay seller so you'd have to assume they are selling the real deal products.

For the US sourced oil filters I am buying in they are coming from a Toyota authorised distributor via Amazon. Here on Treasure island car manufacturers do apply rip off pricing. With Toyota oil filters, they are mostly manufactured in Thailand and its cheaper to ship via a US retailer distributing via a US wholesaler than to buy from Toyota UK. So much so that its a buy 3 and get 2 free transaction.

I've answered some of my own questions. Seems the later D3 and D4 filters are larger capacity filters than the earlier D1 and D2 which was probably just an evolution to have one filter for both diesel and petrol engines. I've ordered a half case of 90915-YZZD3 with a half case (5 units) worth of sump washers for £42 delivered including freight and taxes.

Can you say what site you bought your oil filters from? I only have 1 left..

We had a discussion about oil filters between Lexus and Toyota in this other thread if you fancy browsing. Link.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Thought I would bump this thread rather than start another. What type are people using now? I currently have the 90915-YZZD1 but finding it hard to find a replacement. Looking at the SRD and Whifbitz websites it’s showing 90915-YZZJ3 but want to be certain before buying one.

Or if you want to go really cheap the D3 filter is a Denso filter under Denso product reference 150-2010. RockAuto list those at £2.49 a filter. I have a thread somewhere on this site with a 5% discount code for this supplier. They do really low ship rates from the USA so if you order 5 or more filters you could have those landed taxes paid for a little over £5 a filter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...