The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supra project 'Sophie'

Suprakeith

Well today with the help of Inazone, got engine out and onto engine stand ready to be stripped down in next few days.

When I undone clutch I noticed the flywheel bolts were only finger tight, didn't need socket at all, so wondering if that could of been cause of noise and weather any damage has been done to crank.

Edited by Suprakeith (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice looking car! How is the feeling with the short shifter? Is it for 6pd one or for 5spd?

Thank you very much and the short shifter is 5 speed one for the w58 but can get 6speed ones aswell, and it feels good and punchy using it with shorter throw it's a lot quicker to change gears but also has a very solid feel to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Slight update, haven't really had much progress stripping engine since removed it, duo to my daily car being wrote off few weeks ago.

Have finally got new car that pick up end of week so can now get back to stripping engine.

On plus note now have all new parts to rebuild head and have finished writing machine programme so will be taking head into work in few weeks and doing full port and polish on one of the CNC machines.

Am now in two minds what to do with engine as do I send block and crank to be machined and then buy all new parts and pay for labour to build short block or just buy built forged block from USA and save hassle and expense as it's looking cheaper to buy forged block than build one.

Thank you very much and the short shifter is 5 speed one for the w58 but can get 6speed ones aswell, and it feels good and punchy using it with shorter throw it's a lot quicker to change gears but also has a very solid feel to it.

Great, what short shifter is it and how much? I'm looking to buy one for my NA w58.

• 3 weeks later...

Well small update, haven't really done anything to supra after lost interest and daily wrote off.

Today decided to try strip more of engine and managed remove sump and crank, have checked the bearings and they look fine but am sending them off to be checked just to be sure.

All need to do is get rest of the rounded head bolt off so can remove head and pistons.

Have been looking at options and am leaning more towards buying forged short block from USA than rebuilding mine as think will cost more to rebuild and the hassle, then just pay garage to fit head and set timing ready for me to reinstall engine.

• 1 month later...

Well thought best do little update on build, I have decided to not do forged build for moment and have got low mileage 2jzge coming in next few weeks which will replace head gasket for standard tt one to lower compression to 9:2:1 and fit the Whifbitz na-t kit with greedy ecu just so can get car up and running again and enjoying her again.

Going to paint engine bay and do slight wire tuck before engine goes back in.

Then once all up and running will start on some of the bodywork, before start the forged block build, I know will cost more in long run but after loss of young friend it's made me realise got to enjoy life more and don't want to have car in garage for couple years doing build.

Am going to aim for about 450bhp with the ge engine and Whifbitz kit to keep gearbox happy and working.

Then once start forged build can get better gearbox aswell and do complete change over with aim to run 600-700bhp using my Nos system aswell.

• 2 weeks later...

Well has been a productive weekend on Sophie, I have removed the front wings and front cross member. Plan is to clean inner wings and rub down before put on zinc primer and then black stone, am going to take cross member to work and rub down and then prime and paint. Then can push wires through and get engine bay steamed cleaned.

• 2 months later...

Bit of update on build, haven't had much time to get jobs done on car duo to working loads but have been buying parts ready, now have ARP mains studs, head studs, conrod and flywheel bolts, just waiting on the forged pistons and rods to turn up and return of crank from being checked and polished, all need to do is order full set of king bearings and paint block, then can set about building block.

Have decided to on bc titanium springs and retainers for head plus may get new stronger valves aswell.

Few pictures of the machined block sitting waiting, block was cleaned, decked and honed as bores were in good condition.

I have also now removed engine bay wire loom, just need to remove the Nos solonoids and lines, and can get engine bay fully cleaned. I am off for week end of august so planning on having it all painted and the loom back in that week.

• 2 weeks later...

Well got few more jobs done on Sophie today, I have painted the inner arches silver to keep them protected, have also removed battery tray, removed the rear sound deadening and finally got the Nos lines removed. Engine bay is now fully ready to be cleaned and repainted.

Going to start on painting the engine block this week.

Also have purchased some Brian Crower valve springs so when they turn up will have head built then can start on building block, as don't want to have built open block sitting in garage.

Well few little updates, my BC valve springs have turned up and have got new water pump on way.

Also today my girlfriends Dad from Val-tech Solutions has done full chemical clean of my engine bay plus gave wheels a good clean, I cannot believe how clean the engine bay has come up.

Next job is to treat the few rust spots, rub down engine bay and zinc prime ready for the new paint.

Now have all the parts to rebuild head so going to finish off porting and polishing head over next few weeks at work then get head all rebuilt.

Am waiting for new lightened flywheel to turn up then will get crank balanced with flywheel and then can rebuild block and refit head.

I have ordered a new oil sump pan as mine was little dented

• 1 month later...

Well have had bit more progress with build over last few weeks,

1st job got done was I rubbed down engine bay and covered engine bay in zinc primer before adding few coats of the new colour

Plus I ordered new oil system parts from toyota and was chating to the parts manager about build and fact that have ordered fair few new parts and they have given me a discount account for any new bits for the supra

Another bonus is the forged pistons and rods from real street racing turned up this week, I have gone bit over board on spec but thought do it once and do it right, the forged internals are capable 1500bhp, I doubt will ever run anywhere near that but you never know what future holds.

All need to do now is take crank next week to be checked and balanced then can order the king bearings and find engine builder to build the short block, then can focus on head have all the new parts ready for head but may treat myself to set of BC 264 cams and HKS adjustable cam verniers

Also just need to give engine bay its top coat of paint and can refit wire loom.

• 1 month later...

Slight update, the block is now booked in for 13th October to be built by Tom at Hudson Speed Shop, I have asked him to take plenty pictures so will upload them once engine built

Full spec of block is as follows:

New Toyota crank

New OEM sump pan & oil pickup

CP forged pistons

Eagle forged rods

PHR modified oil pump

King XP bearings

ARP conrod studs

ARP main studs

New OEM crank oil seals

New OEM rear crank seal retainer

Machined oil pan for turbo oil return.

• 3 weeks later...

Was meant to be picking up the built short block today but thanks to the poor quality from King Bearings it has delayed the build while wait for new ACL Race bearings to turn up.

I am very greatful to Tom at Hudson Speed Shop for informing me about the bearings and not using them for the build!!!

As he couldn’t get engine built he still did the piston gaps and checked tunnels, so everything ready for when new ACL Race bearings turn up.

Well some good news today from Tom at Hudson Speed Shop, the new ACL Race bearings turned up and he has finished off building short block, can’t wait to get it back and fit the head gasket and get head all bolted on now.

Anyway some pictures Tom has sent of the build

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Small update while wait for head to be match ported to my inlet manifold, I made most of Whifbitz Black Friday sales and have ordered:

Gates Racing Cambelt

Pair of HKS slide cam vernier’s

Whifbitz welded crack spocket

Whifbitz billet cambelt bracket

Toyota 2jz-ge head gasket kit

I should have the head back in next week then can finally refit head and start bolting all the new parts and get the timing set ready for refitting engine after being out for a year...just hope I remember where everything goes lol