The mkiv Supra Owners Club

On my path to single turbo...

thak1lla

Hi guys, already made 2 post to get some help(it fixed my problem) but i need more help, so i figured i would put all my question in the same thread, plus I think it can help some people...

I Will be running a driftmotion kit 6465, already had a couple of upgrade before the single:

Full HKS titanium exhaust

HKS pulley

FMIC

etc...

here's some pics of my car when i got it 5 year ago...

45907_149361721759689_7519824_n.jpg 47418_149361788426349_457032_n.jpg 47418_149361791759682_2263807_n.jpg 45728_149362058426322_7204598_n.jpg59044_150668938295634_6491902_n.jpg

New set of wheels

11068402_1041304082565444_1429255948886871779_n (1).jpg

This is what it looked like 2 week ago...

IMG_20150707_213203.jpg

changed valve cover gasket, started installing the manifold and the turbo...

IMG_20150716_173150.jpg IMG_20150719_170031nopm.jpg IMG_20150719_221226.jpg IMG_20150719_221234.jpgIMG_20150719_233823nopm.jpg IMG_20150723_171258.jpgIMG_20150729_194835.jpg

1- SO here I am, almost done, but im wondering what are you guys doing with this?

IMG_20150729_194853.jpg

2- What I should I do with this vacuum behind the air intake manifold? can I use it for my BOV?

IMG_20150729_194746.jpgIMG_20150729_194705.jpg

3- MY crank sensor is disconnected, the sensor is still in the engine but the other end is not connected, can someone tell me where to connect it? I want to change the connector but dont know where it goes, maybe its laying around...

IMG_20150713_162552.jpg

4- Also, ill be using a manual boost controller, so I think thats the way to connect it right? I leave the top of the wastegate open? what if I want to controll it inside the car?

article_bthookup1.png

after that Ill only be missing my new alternator and my custom downpipe...

Edited by thak1lla (see edit history)

Haven't we already had this thread??

1. This is a breather for the cam cover and there is one on each side of the engine. Stock it recircs into the intake. On singles most take it to a vented oil catch can. one link from each side. Can replace the connector with welded on -an8 or an10 connectors.

3. The connector for Crank sensor has been damaged and needs replacing. It connects into the loom that feeds the alternator and water temp sensor on the same side of the engine.

4. That is correct if you are only going with manual control.

Haven't we already had this thread??

1. This is a breather for the cam cover and there is one on each side of the engine. Stock it recircs into the intake. On singles most take it to a vented oil catch can. one link from each side. Can replace the connector with welded on -an8 or an10 connectors.

3. The connector for Crank sensor has been damaged and needs replacing. It connects into the loom that feeds the alternator and water temp sensor on the same side of the engine.

4. That is correct if you are only going with manual control.

Thanks T2 MSW, yeah I know ppl might have answered those question before but I couldnt find any clear info with the search engine, or some pics were missing. Also it might help some people and I like to document everything I do on my project, so I do it on the forum.

For the crank sensor I searched everywhere around in the garage and can find the connector thats missing, so I'll just buy one...i think this is the one i need?

DM1576-2.jpg

The plastic connector shell is part number:

90980-10947

and the terminal repair kits (one short length of wire with a pre crimped on terminal) is:

82998-12440 so if the terminals are damaged you need two of the latter, and a means of joining them PROPERLY to the existing engine loom.

thanks man really appreciated

the wire is ok, just missing the plastic connector, dont know where it went....

someone tell me what to do with the vacuum in the #2? I think my BOV was connected here but im not sure...

Yeah BOV was on #2 (back of intake manifold). Either run a vacuum to your new BOV or block it off if you are not using a BOV.

I just received my downpipe, and I need to change my oxygen sensor for a screw type, waiting on the store to open to find one, and the car should be ready tomorow, just need to change my oil, add the coolant, replace the lights and bumper and I need to bolt my exhaust...thats about it.

I hope everything will be alright...

I started the car today everything is fine exept one thing, I can't get more than 5-6psi, look like there is some restriction in the air intake manifold. I remember having the same problem with my twin(but I thought it was because they were blown). Anyone know what it could be? or a list of thing to check?

1- No boost leek, at 5-6psi I can feel something is wrong like some electronic.

2- I dont think its the wastegate because the spring is 10psi and I got a manual boost controller and it doesn't do anything.

3- The problem was there before the single install.

Maybe my bcc?

Thanks

Today I checked for

boost leek...nothing

bov is fine,

wastegate is fine...opening at 20psi,

bcc is plugged correctly

turbo is spinning fine

Vacuum line are good too

Tomorrow im changing my spark plugs...if it doesnt work I think Ill remove my IC piping and look inside the manifold in case there's something wrong

You guys have any idea?

Are you sure its not just your coil pack connectors falling apart or even the coil packs themselves? Both break down under boost when they have had it and the resultant misfire will feel like its holding back. Too late now, but its a shame you didn't fix that issue before you ripped the twins off, lots of possibilities now.

Are you sure its not just your coil pack connectors falling apart or even the coil packs themselves? Both break down under boost when they have had it and the resultant misfire will feel like its holding back. Too late now, but its a shame you didn't fix that issue before you ripped the twins off, lots of possibilities now.

well i think its the coil but I dont know for sure, just ordered some and ill change all of them friday!

You say the BCC is plugged in correctly, am I to believe you are trying to run a single turbo installation on the stock ecu?

If so, (and I think it's a BAD idea), I would change the BCC if you also had this problem on the sequential set up, ESPECIALLY if it's an HKS one.

That would be a common denominator.

I do my own BCC that works similarly to the no longer available Greddy ones, albeit with some changes to update and improve it.

I would also make 100% sure the wastegate is piped up correctly, and send some high resolution photos to the list so we can double check.

Examine your coil pack bodies minutely, look for cracks radiating from the mounting bracket hole parts of their plastic. Differential expansion with heat is what I believe causes these cracks, and many coils showing this also seem to have internal tracking issues under high boost conditions, when they are called on to produce a lot of voltage.

Does it start perfectly, hot and cold? Run otherwise perfectly below the boost threshold where the trouble starts?

Do you have a wide band O2 sensor and readout to look at? (You *SHOULD* have with a home grown single turbo set up, especially if it's causing trouble and you don't want to take it to a decent garage with proper diagnostic equipment).

Has it got a proper in car fuel pressure gauge?

What make is the fuel pressure regulator if you have changed it from stock?

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)