The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How To: Clean Idle Control Valve Cleaning Aka ICV (IAC)

Geo

So I have been having a few issue's with Idling, car dying when started, erratic idle, low idle, high idle (I am getting high idle and car dying after initial start up, I have to feather the throttle to get round it). So i thought about starting to track the problem down. I spoke with a few people and the conclusion was that it was probably a sticky ICV. So here is a small tutorial on how to remove and clean it on a TT(Single Turbo)

Tools Needed:

Carb Cleaner

Philips Screw Driver

Flat head Screw Driver

12mm Socket, with extension and ratchet

Long Nose Pliers

Swear Tin

Plasters

Location of ICV

attachment.php?attachmentid=105911

So first off was to take off the plug connector, kinda fiddly as its been on for 15 years, take care pulling it off.

attachment.php?attachmentid=105912&d=1267354107

attachment.php?attachmentid=105913&d=1267354125

Next take this pipe off by unclipping it and pulling off, this gives you more room to play with.

attachment.php?attachmentid=105914&d=1267354167

Nex step is to take off the coolant hose or small K&N filter that I have got since im running a Single Turbo. This will expose a nice shiney metal pipe. Seen here by the red pipe.

attachment.php?attachmentid=105915&d=1267354195

Next remove the 2x12mm bolts that hold it onto the throttle body, with the rachet, just be careful you dont drop them like i did, took me ages to find the thing. There is also a metal washer the shape of the unit DON'T DROP THIS. :( you then can pull the ICV up for some leverage to expose the 2 small coolant pipes. These have little clips on them that are very fiddly, just have patience and use the long nose pliers to get them off. HAVE FUN HERE!! :D took me a while.

attachment.php?attachmentid=105916&d=1267354217

Next unscrew the philips screws, one Idle Control Valve split in two

attachment.php?attachmentid=105917&d=1267354236

attachment.php?attachmentid=105918&d=1267354274

Use the carb cleaner to clean everything out so that all the crap runs out. Use a soft cloth/rag to clean the actuator (the small black nipple with spring in it). Leave to dry for about an hour.

Then re-install after its all done by going back through this in reverse. If it doesn't help your idling problem then its a new one required.

Before cleaning

attachment.php?attachmentid=105919&d=1267354290

attachment.php?attachmentid=105920&d=1267354311

After cleaning

attachment.php?attachmentid=105921&d=1267354325

attachment.php?attachmentid=105922&d=1267354339

P.s dont clean it in the kitchen like i did, the bird wasn't happy! O Well!!! Supra's Rule. :D

Hope this helps Guys. :D

locations.jpg

1-4.jpg

2-6.jpg

4-5.jpg

3-5.jpg

5-2.jpg

6-4.jpg

7-4.jpg

Before1.jpg

Before2.jpg

After1.jpg

After2.jpg

Edited by Steve (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Good write up big man :)

I have a "cyclic" sounding idle, it just seems to go slightly up and down constantly. Guessing that cleaning this would do the trick? :)

might just be hunting so to speak dude, yeah a good clean might do the trick yeah. :thumbs:

• 8 months later...

What a fantastic guide! :thumbs:

The idle on my car has been playing up for a few days (too high, ~12-1400rpm and erratic), so with the joys of the search button I found this guide. I've got to say, the inside of my IACV wasn't anywhere near as dirty as I thought it would be, making me believe that I was barking up the wrong tree. I cleaned it anyway, figuring "why not?" and lo and behold the idle is now back to normal.

Again, brilliant guide and the photos are really helpful. AND I didn't drop the bolts - bonus!

Thanks, Geo. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

The £550ish. I need a new one but I will not pay that!! Even the guy at Toyota was like "ermm thats expensive"

I'm going to take mine off again an see what I can do...

Its so so annoying when it plays up.. There's just no idle, I have to throttle - brake - throttle - brake etc.. Just to stop for some lights..

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rom/noodle
Keron only has NA ones. A member has PM'ed me so might be getting it of him..

Hello I am new member here I drive a NA also. Just wanted to say thanks for the write up. Better to clean this unit first. Just to purchase it is one expensive part. I called up a Toyota Parts service department and they would have to order it. Price was $600

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MidLifeCrisis

Hi Guys, am about to pull off the ICV for a clean out (thanks for the "how to")

How much coolant is lost when pulling off the coolant lines? ie do you have to drain the radiator first?

Thanks and regards

Simon

Hi Guys, am about to pull off the ICV for a clean out (thanks for the "how to")

How much coolant is lost when pulling off the coolant lines? ie do you have to drain the radiator first?

Thanks and regards

Simon

There is no coolant loss buddy, just follow the guide and clean it. Job Done. :D

• 4 months later...

hey guys, i'm trying to give this a go but i cant seem to get the two phillip head screws off i tried using wd-40 just to loosen it doesnt work. feels like its glued on. not to sure what to do now, any advice?

STUCK AT THIS STEP, Next unscrew the philips screws, one Idle Control Valve split in two

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...