The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How-to: Clean O2 sensors in NA

Quick guide to take off lambda sensors from NA for those, who think their cars are using too much fuel and it would be worth to clean them, but they need full walkthrough :). I did it on my white Supra and she is moving now like she would loose around 300 kg. This one was done on my garage sleeping beauty, Pink lady :p

Time: 15 minutes

Tools: Philips screwdriver, 12mm socket on ratchet.

Take off air induction pipe by loosening screws and them twist it slightly.

Unclip and disconnect those 2 small rubber pipes.

Screws on heat shield and O2 sensors screws soak with penetration oil. It is possible, that all bolt will come out, do not worry :)

Unscrew O2 sensors and disconnect them.

Put them into lemon juice for a night, after that clean them with brake cleaner (I use foam one so all crap is getting out when foam is expanding), dry using pressurized air for example. Put back everything and have fun :)

Konrad.

Are both sensors the same ie does it matter if you get them mixed up

Not that im going to i was just wondering:)

Yes, both sensors are identical :)

been considering doing this for ages, is there any chance of breaking the o2 sensor?

No, those sensors are quite sturdy piece of metal :) Just soak all screws with penetration oil or Gas Plus oil to loosen them a little before unscrewing :)

Good guide Konrad :thumbs:

Cleaning the O2 sensors is only usually a short term fix, if you want to do the job properly fit brand new ones. Not cheap, but with the price of fuel as it is, it is a very good investment that will pay for itself in no time.

• 2 years later...

Right - Mr Konrad,

I have bitten the bullet and gone for it. It's taken almost a year to get round to actually doing them. But Last year the trip to Japfest and back cost over £100 in fuel. The year before that was way less. So Lemon juice - Playboy shot glasses at the ready...

They have been in Lemon since last night. So popping home at lunch to remove them.

Will post results GOOD - BAD after re-fit. Just need to get some Brake cleaner.

Cheers Konrad.

DSC01174A.jpg

DSC01175A.jpg

DSC01176A.jpg

DSC01177A.jpg

DSC01178A.jpg

DSC01179A.jpg

DSC01180A.jpg

DSC01181A.jpg

Edited by Missile (see edit history)

I need to look into mine on the TT where there is only one sensor. Where does the wire at the other end attach to? Are there just clips near the manifold.?

I will go outside and have a look at some point but the car is undercover at the moment.

H.

I need to look into mine on the TT where there is only one sensor. Where does the wire at the other end attach to? Are there just clips near the manifold.?

I will go outside and have a look at some point but the car is undercover at the moment.

H.

Unsure on a TT. On the NA one is as edited in my wonderful paint. The other is just of Konrads pic. I'm betting the clips look simular.

sENSOR.GIF

Will post results GOOD - BAD after re-fit. Just need to get some Brake cleaner.

Cleaning them tends only to make a short term difference - if at all - if they need replacing, would be good if you could post long term results.

The 2 x 2JZ-GE sensors are identical, so doesn't really matter which way round they go back.

Cleaning them tends only to make a short term difference - if at all - if they need replacing, would be good if you could post long term results.

The 2 x 2JZ-GE sensors are identical, so doesn't really matter which way round they go back.

I will certainly update. Really am hoping for a difference. I was paranoid so decided I would put them back in as I took them out.

I keep getting close to doing the NA - TT swap. Just can't justify spending out on new ones if it's only a short while, saying that, if I'd bought them a year ago they would have paid for themselves but now.

• 2 weeks later...