The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Running the Supra on tight budget for the love of it

mattanna

How many off you run your Supra's on a tight budget, I have a £140,000 mortgage plus more debt than Africa, two kids and run another car so am counting pennies at the end of each month, i am fortunate enough to have a reasonable salary but am still boracic, however I run the Supra no matter what. How many people if a big repair job came up would just have to debt up on the credit, all for the pleasure of such a fine machine, come on so i know i am not alone!!!

cheers

Matt

I don't earn too much. Little more than half the average national wage in fact. We don't do too badly though. Luckily, my partner owns half the car and she pays out for half of all necessary work (BPU, new exhaust etc are for me to fund!), services and the like.

As she doesn't drive and probably won't ever she also feels obliged to help with the insurance, tax etc as I will run her everywhere.

So, team effort gets us a flash car.

I run my supe on a very tight budget. I rent a 1 bed flat, have bills/food etc, dont earn a massive amount of money at all. I have a £250 runaround as I cant afford to fuel the Supra to work and back.

So tight this month, iv had to SORN the supra as I couldnt afford the £170 to tax it last Tuesday when it ran out BUT love the car and I know that soon I wil be able to afford the tax, and also wont be earning what I do forever.

I am also NOt in debt however!!! Just careful and a roof over my head is more important than taxing the supra for one month!

One thing that always make me laugh is those that buy this, that and the other for their cars, flash new wheels, single tubbies blah blah blah and then you find out they live at home still.

Kinda feel sorry for them at the inevitable financial shock that's coming. Before anyone says I'm jealous, well, no I'm not. I've not lived with financial support since I was sixteen. Worked hard for everything I have and realise that there are things that are more important than car bling.

I don't have to watch the pennies as such, but that is where I piss ALL my money.

The Supra's arrival will mean I have four cars, the missus' Laguna, my 740 for work and my little MR2 turbo. Four road taxes, four insurances etc etc.

But I don't smoke, drink much, go out etc, cars is my passion. I should probably have a bigger house, pension and his n hers Volvos on the drive, but hey - you're a long time dead.

But I don't smoke, drink much, go out etc, cars is my passion. I should probably have a bigger house, pension and his n hers Volvos on the drive, but hey - you're a long time dead.

i dont drink, i dont smoke and dont swear....................awwww fcuk i have left my fags in the pub lol

but i agree with muffleman, i dont smoke neither and dont drink (well maybe twice a year) dont go out as all my friends are back in scotland, so i spend my cash on the soop,

:yeahthat: , i agree about being a long time dead, I am a senior charge nurse in Intensive care at a large busy hospital, and prior to that was an organ donor transplant co-ordinator, have worked in intensive care for 12 years and see bad, scary shit most days, a lot from road accidents, one woman said to me once who's 18 year old son was going for organ donation, make sure you do whatever you want to in life, it is for these reasons that i do and have the mighty debt, obviously i could not afford a new Ferrari, it has to be in reason, but the Supra feels good and i have always wanted one, so have got one, money has only one purpose, to be spent it is good for nothing else, it's secondary purpose is to be borrowed, after all the bank's staff have children to feed too!!

cheers

Matt

My Supra is a toy, nothing more, nothing less. If my engine lunched itself it could wait until I was ready to get it fixed as it's not transportation. I've been putting off getting it BPU'd for over a year because this house is consuming money at a vast rate (about 20k in 12 months- thanks Mr Surveyor!) but a roof over your head is a neccessity- a 400bhp car simply isn't. I would like to break the previous occupiers legs though.....

I Love My Supra But At The End Of The Day It`s Car And I`ve Loved Most Cars And Woman I`ve Had In The Last Twenty Years;)

If I Use It For Work All Week It Costs Me £50 In Fuel,so I Try And Cycle A Least 3 Days A Week As It Saves Money And It`s Good Training As I Race Bikes.

The Supra For Over All Running Costs For The Year Is Cheap As I Bought It Cash So No Loan Repayments,it Was Cheaper Then A Calibra Turbo To Insure And It`s Never Let Me Down.

Just Have A Look Around Your Works Car Parks And Look How Many People Have Big Loans Just So They Can Have The Latest Run Of The Mill Car.

Oh And Mines For Sale As I Need An Estate And A New Tt Bike:d

I wonder about this too, it makes you sick when you hear about people chucking enough money at their Supe to support a small nation. If your lucky enough to have money behind you then fair play, Im just jealous. I am very fortunate in my work, from my background, I thankfully earn enough that I can support myself, my own house and the Supra, but I am counting pennies at the end of the month. I try to save but as long as I have a hole in my arse I seem to find things to spend it on. I could however probably make huge differences in money with regards to my social life and sometimes feel some of my money I piss up the side of wall so to speak, I dont go out and get pissed all the time, but I do follow music/club scene/DJ's in a big way.....so tend to go out clubbing, weekend events etc, but thats back to the point of being a long time dead I suppose. I try to keep a balance.........enthasis on the word try............;)

EDITED: Sort of got side tracked there from the main point, lol, but where the Supe is concerned if things need doing I will save/work to get things sorted, I have been for 4 years now, if things go drastically wrong and they need sorting, ie engine blows, then I will beg/steal or borrow and repay in what ever sentances those actions cause. I love this car and wouldnt be with out.

on this note, you working again yet mate, or a man of leisure :cool:

No mate, still not working. I'm living off my redundancy money but that's dwindling rapidly. Suppose I'll have to start looking for a job soon (well, after the world cup).

Blimey, half past seven. I haven't been up this early since I got laid off 8 months ago!