The mkiv Supra Owners Club

[Poll] Maintenance costs

NAM_killer

How much have you spent maintaining your Supra over the last ~5 years  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How much have you spent maintaining your Supra over the last ~5 years

Hi guys,

Now that I've saved some money, I'm in the position to get a TT Supra. I'm having to give serious consideration to what this car is going to cost me in the long term so I'm wondering if I can get maintenance costs (including servicing) that you guys have spent on your supras over the last ~5 years (TT preferred, but if not please mention it).

I'm trying to create a poll to make things easier but I'm on my phone and I don't see how to name each point so I'll put them below just in case...

1. 0-1000

2. 1000-2000

3. 2000-3000

4. 3000-4000

5. 4000+

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate any feedback received!

From a servicing perspective it's quite a cheap car, imo. The oil, filters, plugs etc could probably be done for £150 if you do it yourself.

Regarding anything else its a very open question, if your car doesn't need anything it's cheap, if it needs some new suspension arms its going to cost a lot.

Aging cars these days might need the below:

Suspension arms circa 300-400 each

valve stem seals - £550 job plus parts

replacement turbos - £1000 plus fitting

Coil packs - £300-400 for OEM coils

Radiators (cracked top tank) - £250-450

Coil pack clips - £30-50

worn/cracked pipes - £10-100

Brakes - £300-600

Cheers for the info Ric.

That's the issue really, that it's quite subjective. The one I'm looking at looks like it's really been taken care of and had preventative maintenance done, but you can't prevent everything which is why I'm curious to see what multiple people have spent on theirs if you get me.

As said above, the general serviceing is very cheap. It's the age related stuff that's catching up now. I personally have spent probably around £1500 on servicing plus parts that have failed. I'm now getting the engine rebuilt because it's not too healthy.

Considering the value of the cars are always steadily rising I don't think you can go too wrong seeing as depreciation isn't a factor Just don't buy a rust bucket.

Whatever you’re exptecting. Add a lot more. Just this year I’ve already spent £3000+

Fair enough a grand was paint/underseal but I’d say that’s necssary to prevent corrosion.

So absolutely do not get a supra thinking it will be cheap maintenance. It won’t be unless you can do absolutely everything yourself and you don’t break a rare part.

It will expensive if you are meticulous and not hands on, but as cheap as any 20+ year old performance car if you just service and do essential repairs diy.

You can go crazy refreshing or modifying, but if you buy a genuine low mileage or cared for car it shouldn't be that bad at all.

If you can afford today's prices, then I'd say you'll be fine!

7 years of current car ownership of what was a fresh import tt tip and the following have been done

Full BPU

SMIC replaced

Hybrid Steel blade turbos

Valve stem seals

Oil pump as a precaution

VVTI unit

VVTI throttle body replaced (that hurt!!!)

Full suspension rebuild including all arms and shocks

CSD replaced as s precaution

Coming up to second timing belt change

Steering rack change

Most fluid, Vacuum, breather and air hoses changed with OEM ones

Annual service

2 annual 100% fluids change

2 annual suspension geo check

3 annual gearbox oil change

2 sets of decent tyres (Vreds, Goodyear and Toyo)

Plus all the nice to haves.

My car is not a show car nor over modified and is used daily for commuting when on the road. I have tended to use OEM parts or parts from trusted dealers (TCB, Keron, Paul, Mr T) or decent 2nd hand from club members ( exhaust, Ally SMIC, decats).

Doing most of this myself still adds up to a fair amount of money over the years. Now buy a car with all that done already and your outlay would be bigger but annual costs would be lower.

Get the price of a well looked after supra with no costs attached to it for fixes and maintenance, then subtract the price of the supra you are looking to buy and multiply that by a number equivalent to the supra inflation rules.

I bought my supra for £3k less and spent about £6-7k on maintenance in the first year. Thats excluding hassles and things I didnt nessecarily need.

Worked out in the end as the supra is now worth more than ive put into it.

Annual costs tend to be £1-2k for maintenance although I am prepared for it to creep higher at any time.

It obviously helps to do a lot yourself.

Thanks for the replies guys, as always an abundance of information. I'm looking at Bob's Supra and he seems like he meticulously takes care of his car but as all of you have said I am under no false impressions of this being a cheap car to maintain. You've all made very good points.

Don't overthink it, go ahead and buy it, best thing you'll ever do!! :D

Worst case scenario if you can't keep up with the maintenance costs sell it, chances are you'll make money on it anyway with the way prices seem to be going.