The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Autobox issue

nicky

Currently sitting on side of the road, autobox won't select drive, 2 or 1 only park and reverse but if I leave it 10-15mins I can get it driving again as long as I don't stop? What could this be anyone? Need help asap, if I can get the car going again when traffic dies down Im going to drop it to whiftbitz (15-20miles away from me)

Has it got coolers on the box?

It's the heat and torque that kills the boxes, guessing you must be around the 480-500ftlb.

Some cars on auto boxes have lasted with extra coolers and correct ducting, some others haven't.

Maybe but thought auto boxs were good for 550-600? I'm only on 525 at moment (can't remember torque figures)

Yeah the torque will be the figure to look at, but any extra power you should have extra cooling on the auto box, what coolers have you got and where?

It has 2 coolers according to the spec but the box has done 100k + so already a fair bit, some will last longer than others when you slap a single on, controlling the change helps but doesn't look like this car has Syvecs or similar

I drove a bpu auto tt recently and the box was starting to slip, that was on similar mileage to Nicky's

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

It has 2 coolers according to the spec but the box has done 100k + so already a fair bit, some will last longer than others when you slap a single on, controlling the change helps but doesn't look like this car has Syvecs or similar

I drove a bpu auto tt recently and the box was starting to slip, that was on similar mileage to Nicky's

How can you tell a box is slipping?

It's weird I just took a long drive to garage whiftbitz and I've just arrived, a 30minute journey turned into an hour journey had to stop 10 times or more

The revs would just drop and it would slip out of gear, then the only gear that actually works is park

They open at 11 on London branch so we shall see what he thinks.

Same problem for me the other week with my single turbo auto, was the box overheating because it hadn't properly been cared for, so I've got a fresh box and had DavidP work his magic on it, replaced the strainer and looking to get it in the car next week or so. I'm on my phone at the moment so can't link it, but check out the A340E transmission group (can find it via my profile) - it'll have the answers to pretty much everything auto related.

Thanks Frank. With mine, it was working perfectly at lunch time, but felt like it was slipping on the way home. Eventually, the gears wouldn't engage at all. If I stopped the car for 5 mins to let it cool, I was able to crawl it a bit further - though in doing so I have knackered the box. Thankfully TT autoboxes aren't too pricey, and it gave me chance to get the new one shimmed up by David :)

Edit: Reverse wouldn't select on mine after I crawled it back. At first, it did, but then dropped off after a while :/

Thanks Frank. With mine, it was working perfectly at lunch time, but felt like it was slipping on the way home. Eventually, the gears wouldn't engage at all. If I stopped the car for 5 mins to let it cool, I was able to crawl it a bit further - though in doing so I have knackered the box. Thankfully TT autoboxes aren't too pricey, and it gave me chance to get the new one shimmed up by David :)

Edit: Reverse wouldn't select on mine after I crawled it back. At first, it did, but then dropped off after a while :/

Literally EXACTLY what happened with mine, so I'll probably be dropping a new autobox back in, how much did you pick one up for? As I may just start looking for a boostlogic box to handle a bit more power

£200 for a known good working box. If you join the group, any well priced autoboxes that are found are posted up on there :)

I've since spent a few quid on new fluids and a few parts to keep it running sweet, but still a lot less than a boostlogic box!