The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Autobox issue

nicky

Mk4gaz is the one who's selling it, I spoke to him already I'm weighing up my options, what's viable to do over what etc, if an autobox all in is going to end up half the price of the titan box I might aswell buy that

For reference, my total spend has been: £200 new autobox, £90 on fluids (you'd need these either way), £50 to get the actuators shimmed and £40 for a new strainer. Not sure how much fitting is going to be yet. I'd probably have taken the Titan box from Gaz if funds were a bit better at the moment :p

Mk4gaz is the one who's selling it, I spoke to him already I'm weighing up my options, what's viable to do over what etc, if an autobox all in is going to end up half the price of the titan box I might aswell buy that

I run the titan stage 2 auto box and cannot fault it. Very solid piece of kit with nice firm shifts. My car is giving me gyp in other areas currently (standalone ecu) but before when I was running it about it was a beast. I would definitely spend the extra on the titan box. I have heard a few auto box 'experts' bad mouth them saying they are only shimmed to increase pressure. That isn't true, they have a lot of mods according to Nero and titan and are good down to 9 second quarters or even 8s (someone has run 8s on one with no issues) with reliability (with decent coolers etc).

Would be a false economy to buy an auto box , fit it and then blow it again to have to do it all again but with a built box (and mk4gaz will have probs sold it by then as its very cheap). 500 hp is right at the very top limit for the stock auto even with coolers they are not guaranteed to last at that for long if run hard. Bit of a lottery with a stock box and single turbo IMO.

Based on the number of people running hybrid/shimmed boxes and single turbo builds with proper cooling...i'm not sure the above statement is entirely true. Still, if it gives you peace of mind, it's worth every penny.

Indeed, I know David P is a big fan of shimming them and has had good success. I suppose it depends on the power goals of the car, but there are many further upgrades that can and are done to these boxes

eg US trans rebuild option

Valve body is custom calibrated to provide the ultimate in clutch application power and clamping force (The modifications performed by us are a proprietary design and are unavailable elsewhere) **shimmed!!**

Virtually indestructible Raybestos Blue Plates are installed in all shifting clutches

*NEW FEATURE* We have now developed the industry's only 6 friction disk C-2 clutch pack for a 50% increase in third gear holding capacity.

New one way clutches (sprags) are installed in all locations

Planetary splines are heat treated to prevent stripping

Metalax treatment is applied to input shaft to eliminate stress related failure

Sun shell is heat treated to prevent spline stripping

New design high flow solenoid assemblies are installed

Lube system is redesigned to provide increased flow and cooler operation

Performance pressure regulator boost valve is installed to prevent sluggish line pressure rise and to increase clutch holding ability.

Indeed, I know David P is a big fan of shimming them and has had good success. I suppose it depends on the power goals of the car, but there are many further upgrades that can and are done to these boxes

eg US trans rebuild option

Valve body is custom calibrated to provide the ultimate in clutch application power and clamping force (The modifications performed by us are a proprietary design and are unavailable elsewhere) **shimmed!!**

Virtually indestructible Raybestos Blue Plates are installed in all shifting clutches

*NEW FEATURE* We have now developed the industry's only 6 friction disk C-2 clutch pack for a 50% increase in third gear holding capacity.

New one way clutches (sprags) are installed in all locations

Planetary splines are heat treated to prevent stripping

Metalax treatment is applied to input shaft to eliminate stress related failure

Sun shell is heat treated to prevent spline stripping

New design high flow solenoid assemblies are installed

Lube system is redesigned to provide increased flow and cooler operation

Performance pressure regulator boost valve is installed to prevent sluggish line pressure rise and to increase clutch holding ability.

Additionally I didn't mean a modified stock box, I was referring to a purely stock box being fitted as being a bad idea IMO. A shimmed and modded stock one is definitely the cheaper option in money, not sure about time though.

To be entirely honest I'll be pretty much following the same pattern as khaan as I to want to end up with the 6 speed v160/161 in the end with over 1000hp but that is a long term goal, but for now my powers fine as the valve will need a refresh when I have funds. The cars drivable at the moment until the valves go (this is ofc once the gearbox is fixed)