The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Autobox behaving oddly

Tsia

Evening all,

Having an odd problem with the autobox today. I decided to drive to work and back in the Supra, all seemed fine until I went to go home. Almost straight away it felt like I had a 'clutch' depressed, revs were increasing and the car wasn't really moving. I tried going from D to 2 and L and didn't hear the usual "clunk" in to gear sound. Oddly, I could turn the car off and back on to get it to enter D, just so I could crawl it home, although I had to stop every 3/4 of a mile to restart the car and hope that I didn't have to stop again. Now, it doesn't feel like it'll go in to gear (i.e. no "clunk" and if/when it does, it's like driving with a clutch almost depressed.

Any ideas?

Had a read through, inspired me to go and look at the fluid level again... despite being fine earlier, we're reading a solid zero now! It's propped up on a kerb (with the dipstick-side as the high side) but I'd expect to see at least SOME fluid on the stick. Probably just a hose popped off one of the coolers somewhere (single setup with 2 x coolers).

You have a single turbo setup don't you on a stock auto? If you do the box could be on its way out. Check the colour of the fluid.

Its done less than 1,300 miles, of which 1,000 were bedding in, the rest has been mapping & general driving - I'd be very shocked. As above, after I'd stopped driving, left the engine idling, cycled through gears and then tested the levels it was very, very low, despite being completely flushed etc. roughly 200 miles ago (before mapping). I've had a brief look under the car and noticed some odd spatters, so I've got a feeling a pipe has come off one of the coolers, but it definitely looks like a weekend job to get the bumper off for a closer look. :/

Gearbox fluid low, spatters found.

Got a good something to follow up on, im guessing aftermarket coolers? sump not leaking? checked the radiator coolant?

- - - Updated - - -

Gearbox fluid low, spatters found.

Got a good something to follow up on, im guessing aftermarket coolers? sump not leaking? checked the radiator coolant if you got a stock cooler?

It's not a stock cooler, it's two aftermarkets (due to going single) - I've had some pictures of how they were plumbed in so I can trace the pipe routes. Nothing obvious, but I haven't had the car jacked up yet as it's somewhat stuck in the current parking space that it's in :(

Will take a look over the weekend and report back, but so far my thoughts are that a leak has sprung and I just need to fix & flush. At least, I'm hoping ;)

Argh, checking autobox oil isn't the easiest thing when you don't want to move the car. Anyway...

I let it roll back a few foot to slightly more 'even' ground before testing the oil again (cycled through gears with engine running, but otherwise cold) and the oil was correctly at the 'cold' level on the dipstick. Only trouble was, it was brown and smelt slightly burnt - which I've read is not a good thing! I've been told the oil was replaced before mapping (200 odd miles ago) so for it to burn that quickly, something must be wrong - although surely I'd be seeing 'bits' in the oil if something were truly broken inside the gearbox?

I'm half tempted to do a flush on the driveway with some fresh stuff, see how it reacts to that, then take it for a proper inspection afterwards? Any better ideas?

Right, we're on track to sorting it! I originally couldn't see any signs of a leak. Not sure why, as when I topped it up, a very obvious drip started beneath the car. Basically, one of the pipes (annoying, one in a difficult to get to location) has obviously sprung a leak. I'll need to get it jacked up tomorrow, find the leak, patch it up and then take it for a flush. Cheers to DavidP for the advice, too!

Once I'd put in some cheapy Halfords stuff (just to move the car, to hell with driving it hard for now) and let it run for a minute it seemed to move fine. It felt like the gearbox was slipping a little, but nothing like what it was doing yesterday.

what gearbox oil are u using in the trans

Unsure, wasn't me that changed it last.

Once its got like that i'd have thought its heading one way :(

My fluid was browny and smelt before david flushed it fully. Never missed a beat since. We used carlube atf U and lucas stop slip. When ever i do a oil change i drop the 2l in the pan and top up with fresh atf recommended by mr p.