The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anti Corrosion Modules

Chris Wilson

I had a car in recently that had some weird gizmo mounted. I asked the owner what it was and he said it was a newly patented device to stop, or seriously reduce, corrosion of the body shell. I was obliged to tell him, after reading the brochure, he'd just wasted a lot of money. These things were prevalent in the nineties, often promoted by US based Honda dealerships. They claim to work on a sacrificial electrode basis, like a sacrificial zinc alloy block, or block, bolted to the hull of steel ships. The latter work superbly, *BUT* they have a near infinite supply of a free electrolyte, namely the salt water the ship and anodes are immersed in.

There is no such electrolyte with a car, and the thing is total BS. Save your money.... A colleague has seen 3 other cars with similar junk recently put on them.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/counteract-electronic-rust-protection-system-0477905p.html#.VbYIDvkRXK5

A work colleague bought an "Ozone generator" for his car (off ebay naturally) which he swore by. Allegedly they're supposed to clean and purify the air. It consisted of a small box intended to be mounted under the passenger seat and connected to the cigarette lighter. The box itself had a red LED to show it was working.

He left this box on his desk at work one day, so we decided to dismantle it for him. Inside was a resistor and an LED, nothing more.

Well, they were sort of functional and discharged static build up so you didn't get a little tingle when you got out in your Terylene slacks off your velour seat :) TRIVIA WARNING: Fuel tankers use special tyres with a high graphite content to automatically and constantly drain static. Together with a mandatory earthing braid when de or re-fuelling they aid safety. Sparks and a few thousand gallons of petroleum spirit are never good.

Reminds me of the old earthing straps you used to see hanging off the back of cars, whatever happened to them?

I had a conversation about this only the other day, turns out it's the graphite content in tyres has changed, so they are actually conductive these days. Which, I realise while typing this, explains why you can suddenly start getting electric shocks off your car one day when you never used to, or vica versa - probably had new tyres fitted of a different type :)

-Ian

A work colleague bought an "Ozone generator" for his car (off ebay naturally) which he swore by. Allegedly they're supposed to clean and purify the air. .

That's really funny, especially as ozone is highly toxic. It like boasting of having a zyklon b canister off eBay to deodorise the carpets.