The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Induction - Advice

Pilchard

Bought a 1998 Jspec TT Auto Supra off a member back in November and its currently with Chris Wilson getting lots of bits done.

Its supposed to be running full BPU (getting this checked out) and its running a HKS Induction kit with a mushroom cone.

After reading a few builds and doing a bit of research along with Chris saying the induction is not great and I should go back to the original box with a panel filter, I was thinking what kind of benefits does this bring? Ill get less noise but more stable power?

Another question, the car came with a Blitz Boost Controller currently set to 0.9 bar. When its all checked it out i want to raise this to 1.2 and keep it that. Talking to Chris about this, he said I didnt need one, can I run it at a stable 1.2 bar without it?

Some BPU builds include the boost controller, some dont? Whats the best way of doing it?

Ive read the BPU thread and im still unsure

Thanks

Chris Wilson has previously said that he can order superior filter material to fit the HKS induction kit :)

Stock airbox is probably best at BPU level.

Chris is an expert on these cars, but I don't think you will run 1.2 bar without a boost controller? Most restricter rings are 1 bar, and to run any higher requires a boost controller.

I thought that about the boost controller, ill find out once its been checked over.

What kind of power loss do you lose with heat soak with these cars? Whats the stock box like with noise?

You cant put a figure on it, you can still run a good aftermarket filter if you can be bothered to design and build a shield or box to prevent the filter drawing in engine bay air, however heat soak from pipework is not really a consideration as the boundary layer effect takes over.

An open filter induction is only beneficial once making big power as the bigger intercoolers keep the temps sufficient. Although the warmer less dense air entering the turbo will sacrifice power the larger surface area of the cylindrical filters will make up for it.

It probably all works out the same to be honest.

Which Blitz boost controller is it?

You can run 1.2bar without a boost controller on a j-spec TT, but a good quality electronic boost controller can significantly increase the response of the turbos and help maximise boost through all gears. I would fit a restrictor ring to limit the boost to around 1bar and then use the boost controller to up the boost to 1.2bar.

I would sell the induction kit and fit a stock airbox.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

The thing is, once you move to a large FMIC, the air filter can be located in the stock SMIC location, so a box isn't needed. :)

This is what I planned to do with mine but was recommended not to, I suppose surface spray in winter wouldn't be good for it dust etc.

I know mine isn't a turbo,but I have relocated my induction kit into the wing where the vent hole is on the front bumper on the drivers side.i have had no ill effects from this.even when driving in rain,also even if ive been giving it some stick the air filter is always stone cold due to cold air Constantly ramming against it.it also sounds immense!

I am surprised you are questioning Chris Wilson. :D

I'll gladly defer to Chris's knowledge, because he probably knows more about the sequential turbo setup than anyone else in the UK. :)

But I was always told that on a J-spec, a restrictor ring limited boost at 1 -1.1 bar, and to go to 1.2 required a bleed valve or a boost controller.

This is what I planned to do with mine but was recommended not to, I suppose surface spray in winter wouldn't be good for it dust etc.

I have a friend who filled his Intercooler pipes with water by putting his air filter lower down towards where the SMIC would go... My advice would be to keep it in the engine bay. Each to their own though :) good luck!

Thanks for all the quick replies.

The car has a FMIC and Chris is trying to fit the VVTI stock box in place of the HKS but the pipes are in the way. If it doesn't fit then I may leave it or relocate it to the side mount.

After looking online it looks like I have a Blitz Boost Controller - Dual SBC Spec S from the images, not really chance to mess with it but like I said before theres mixed views on if you need one or not? The car has 1 bar restrictor ring in place according to the mod list of the previous owner.

Im from Sheffield, thanks for the offer but Chris has one to try and fit.

I hope he doesnt read this....he might knock the price up!!:taped:

After looking online it looks like I have a Blitz Boost Controller - Dual SBC Spec S from the images, not really chance to mess with it but like I said before theres mixed views on if you need one or not? The car has 1 bar restrictor ring in place according to the mod list of the previous owner.

You don't *need* a boost controller but there are advantages in having a good quality EBC fitted, it'll give you more control over the boost settings and the 'GAIN' feature will help the turbos to spool up a lot quicker. It will also give you an accurate boost reading and the overboost warning will alert you if there is a problem.

Ill keep it on, is the Blitz system a decent EBC?

The Spec S is an the entry level EBC so doesn't have that many features but it's decent quality, it include the gain feature (which as I say really helps with spool up of the turbos), it's easy to use and will control the boost levels.