The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Respray

k2supra

So, my decision process has slowly been grinding down to what I will be doing with the car, the paint is 20 years old at this point and looks like at some point someone else tried to fix the paint, but it was most likely a temporary attempt. So here is where I currently stand; I am still in the process of working a Ridox widebody conversion, but I am slightly concerned with cutting into the rear arches to put the new ones on without messing up the car or having various issues such as cracking bodywork and the likes. The boot and bonnet will have carbon replacements since A) they do not rust and 2) you can't really run a carbon boot and have a plain old stock bonnet ;)

Which brings me to my question, what does a good job typically run?

I was recently quoted around £3500 by a certified insurance repairer, which includes boot/bonnet swap, door jams painted, and all panels removed to insure a quality like new product upon completion, but was also qouted over the phone for a job in excess of £7K for the same job. £7k seems ludicrous for me but to be fair, I am not quite sure what the average is.

If your going colour change it's not a bad price, £7k that is. Plus the kit will need work to get fitting right! That's almost guaranteed. A stock bonnet will never rust anyway as its aluminium and I ain't ever seen anything happen to a stock bonnet plus they are lighter than any aftermarket bonnets

Average cost would be about £4-5k for colour change and kit fitting ect.

Less for same colour repaint

If your going colour change it's not a bad price, £7k that is. Plus the kit will need work to get fitting right! That's almost guaranteed. A stock bonnet will never rust anyway as its aluminium and I ain't ever seen anything happen to a stock bonnet plus they are lighter than any aftermarket bonnets

I'll be keeping it the same color, I am still undecided on the bonnet, I know they don't rust but I am tempted to get the TS style hood and spray it while leaving the vents exposed carbon.

This time last year, I paid £2k for a colour change. Boot shut and engine bay stayed gunmetal by my request though.

Wasn't a glass out job, as it was 10 days before JapFest, but was a good job none the less.

IMO, for a full glass out colour change, including engine bay and all shuts, it would cost £4k+. Plus body work for you, getting it to fit correctly, will take time, so probably wouldn't be far off £7k really.

I'll be keeping it the same color, I am still undecided on the bonnet, I know they don't rust but I am tempted to get the TS style hood and spray it while leaving the vents exposed carbon.

I think £3500-4k would be a figure to look at, arches ain't something you want to get wrong.

Engine bays and glass out is always extra.

This time last year, I paid £2k for a colour change. Boot shut and engine bay stayed gunmetal by my request though.

Wasn't a glass out job, as it was 10 days before JapFest, but was a good job none the less.

IMO, for a full glass out colour change, including engine bay and all shuts, it would cost £4k+. Plus body work for you, getting it to fit correctly, will take time, so probably wouldn't be far off £7k really.

well thats good to know, guess I will have to consider the value of doing all this

Edited by k2supra (see edit history)

About 8 yrs ago I paid just shy of £3000 cash for a top job, glass out colour change with skirts fitted. The quality was and still is superb, all door/bonnet/boot panels removed, the only bit not removed was the engine.

£5 - 7K prices are well over the top IMO.

About 8 yrs ago I paid just shy of £3000 cash for a top job, glass out colour change with skirts fitted. The quality was and still is superb, all door/bonnet/boot panels removed, the only bit not removed was the engine.

£5 - 7K prices are well over the top IMO.

Price of paint and materials are ridiculous money now! So not unrealistic at all

I have a question that hopefully you guys can answer regarding paint. Is it more than likely, even if I decided to import a fresh 1993 black supra in, that it will need a respray, given that the car is 20 years old?

I am debating the financial practicality of a respray if it will cost me more to respray than to buy one direct from Japan. Obviously I realize the car is 20, but when is paying more than what the car is currently worth, really going to add enough value to the car to make it worth the costs?

The bean-counter's view: You won't get the value back from any respray you do. It'll make the car look a lot nicer if the respray is done well, but that's it. A respray, depending on the before and after difference, will add a bit of value, not almost certainly not as much as the respray costs.

If you've got an auto TT, a £4k paint job is a significant chunk of the car's worth (£7k very roughly).

Have you thought about asking Stonkin to do one of his "paint revival" jobs on it? Highly recommended on here.

The bean-counter's view: You won't get the value back from any respray you do. It'll make the car look a lot nicer if the respray is done well, but that's it. A respray, depending on the before and after difference, will add a bit of value, not almost certainly not as much as the respray costs.

If you've got an auto TT, a £4k paint job is a significant chunk of the car's worth (£7k very roughly).

Have you thought about asking Stonkin to do one of his "paint revival" jobs on it? Highly recommended on here.

thing is, the paint isnt terrible, its just got its fair share of 20 years of dings, car park dents, and scratches. I am more than likely overexaggerating the need for a respray, but I have also been looking at going full or partial ridox conversion on the car so this is where the dilemma comes in..

Make it a project and spray it yourself. If you have to buy equipment, like compressor, then expect the cost to be around or less than £600 to spray your car in full black. The major cost will be getting a suitable compressor (you can get a 9cfm 50l compressor on ebay for less than £200 and it will be sufficient to do your entire car). Black hides a multitude of imperfect spraying, and your work will definitely not look like Baldy's work. However, it will look better than it is at the moment, and you won't have to spend thousands of pounds that you will never recover.

If you want a full colour change, much of the work is the prep work. Once you are committed to doing the prep work absolutely right, your final spray will look good, even for an amateur. Just choose the right paint.

Make it a project and spray it yourself. If you have to buy equipment, like compressor, then expect the cost to be around or less than £600 to spray your car in full black. The major cost will be getting a suitable compressor (you can get a 9cfm 50l compressor on ebay for less than £200 and it will be sufficient to do your entire car). Black hides a multitude of imperfect spraying, and your work will definitely not look like Baldy's work. However, it will look better than it is at the moment, and you won't have to spend thousands of pounds that you will never recover.

If you want a full colour change, much of the work is the prep work. Once you are committed to doing the prep work absolutely right, your final spray will look good, even for an amateur. Just choose the right paint.

You sure on that? preperation needs to be 110% when repainting a car black, its the worst colour for showing up imperfections.

If you want to "DIY" then paint it white but you will spunk over £1k on equipment plus paint and materials ect ect, then it might still look gash!.

Sorry to jump in slightly off topic. What paint manufacturer and type would you reccommened??, i have a few spare body panels lying about and always fancied giving spraying a try,

Can't say i would undertake a respray as a DIY, I am way too critical to have anything but a professional respray. I know the stock bonnet doesnt rust, but I fancy both the TRD carbon and the TS style. I will keep the stock one but would like to go carbon so boot bonnet match with the carbon lips on the ridox kit.