The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Screwing car marked up from council repairs to garages

Supralee

Just a little rant really, and just a word of warning to anyone that may rent a council garage to store there supes in, ( I no most have there own garage but unfortunately I dont).

Went out to the car after I'd put in to bed last month, just a general check to check no one had tampered with door or whatever and to my disgust opened it up to find tar and stones all over it. After looking at roof it appears its been refelted and I received no word of warning from my local council letting me know of any work that was planned. To say I'm screwing is an understatement. It was starting to get dark so now going to attempt to clean it in morning hopeing it hasn't scratched or damaged it in any way. Just a word of warning in case Anyone else rents a garage !!image

http://img.tapatalk.com</p><p> [img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/14/dybe4ena.jpg/d/12/12/14/3ypy6ara.jpg[/img]

Tell me about it, all that I would of needed was a letter telling me about the planned works and I could of moved it for a couple if days.. thought the council went by a no responsibility for damage clause but I suppose as they have carried out the work if its damaged they may compensate. Will have to assess further in the morning to see if its burnt through etc and scratched it. Then a claim may be winging its way to them. Not what I needed :mad:. Cheers guys for the info.

They have to inform you in writing of repair work. Much the same as wanting access to a rented property. By renting it is your property basically.

I rent two council garages, I was informed in writing when one was having its roof repaired. I would say they are culpable. Just force the issue and ask for proof of notification of repair. Don't accept them trying to pass you across to the subcontractor who did the work. Your contract is with them.

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)

They have to inform you in writing of repair work. Much the same as wanting access to a rented property. By renting it is your property basically.

I rent two council garages, I was informed in writing when one was having its roof repaired. I would say they are culpable. Just force the issue and ask for proof of notification of repair. Don't accept them trying to pass you across to the subcontractor who did the work. Your contract is with them.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for that mate, useful bit of information that is greatly appreciated. I'll bear that in mind when I contact them. Yeah no letter or anything has come through detailing work was going to be carried out. Crazy how a simple letter could of stopped all this from happening..

^^^ That

Same thing happened to my Jet Ski mate about 5 or 6 years ago in a council garage. Got them to foot the full bill. You have exactly the same rights as a tennant in a rented house. Any access or mainteneance they have to give you at least 24 hours written notice. 28 days if the work will mean you have to vacate for the duration of the work.