The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie with his first tt supra

Guest b15njy

HI,

Collected my 1st TT supra (Auto) yesterday, Im over the moon with it, cant belive for the size of the car how quick it is!:)

I got it very cheap as needs a few tiny bits of comestic done to it,

I have a couple of questions tho on it, its a 94 J-Spec currently fitted with only a Cat-Back, Apexi Ind Kit. and Advan Racing 3Spokes.

Heres my questions

1, its has the larger 4pot brakes and 2pots with supra written in them with the correct dust shileds could this come standard as i thought that it should of had 2pots?

2,it has active front spoiler again i thought this was only on the export models?

3,It currently has the Apexi Ind Kit but did come with the OEM airbox and duct which im i best leaving on?

3,When the 1st turbo comes on boost it whisltes is this signs of the bearings dying? it doesnt smoke at all, i followed my dad bringing it back on a 3hour drive and it never puffed a sign,and theres no oil around the turbo seals.

4, Sometimes when you go to put it into drive you get a clonk from the rear,

5th and final when breaking to a stop it feels a bit jerky any surgestions to this as if its still pushing forword not when stopped just say from 20mph to zero.

Sorry for all the questions just trying to sort the niggley bits out 1st, got to go hunt for a terrible rattle from the boot/rear area later today as thats going to drive me mad lol

Thanks benji

Edited by b15njy (see edit history)

Welcome!

Answers.

1. You've got larger front brakes than standard - bonus as the standard 2 pot fronts are not the best.

2. Nope! Imports have this too.

3. Nope - they all do that - it's fine - be worried when you don't hear it!

4. Not sure. Might want to check the subframe bolts 0 they are often loose.

5. Worn pads or disks maybe or even a sticking caliper.

Rattle from boot could be worn rubber boot stops - check those first.

Put the stock airbox on its much better than the induction kit which will just pick up hot air, the rattle from the tailgate will be the rubbers on the gate and wings, they can be tricky to change, what rpm does it tick over at, if its a bit high thats why its clunking into gear, if you get stuck want a power run etc we are only in Crawley.

its idleing at 900rpm, thanks for the boot advice, im going to fit the Oem airbox today, so the whistle from the 1st turbo is ok?

Thanks for the replys,

And DUDE i may pop up and see you, get someone to have a good look over and oil change.

Many J-spec Supras were factory fitted with the larger 4pot/2pot brakes and active front spoiler, they were either standard equipment or factory options depending on the year and model of the car. They are both also common modifications that are made by owners.

Couple of links that will help explain things.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?59334-Supra-Guide-and-Model-Differences-Chart

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm.