The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hks hi power silent

nigelboyne

is this just in ireland?

It's not in the mainland UK, that's for sure.

Any details on how it's measured Nigel? If it's a static idle test then it'll pass easy, if it's a 3/4 rpm from 0.5 meteres (the most commonly used one for track days), it could well go over that limit

yeah tickover i think it doesn say. there is 7 new tests in the mot/nct in ireland tinted windows are out few other things but the 99dbb got me worried any idea or help

To get 99db idle you'd need an open exhaust, that would be incredibly noisy!

My old single (which are much louder that a TT), with 4inch Booslogic exhaust - about as loud as they get, was 96db at idle, so you will be fine :)

My car, with both cats in and an induction kit, with an RS*R exhaust was 98db... I'd have thought a decatted Supra will be quite a bit louder.

At 0.5m on idle it'll be around 89db with a full decat. I did a load of these tests a few years ago on many different supra's, the RSR is loud, but not that loud at idle.

At 0.5m on idle it'll be around 89db with a full decat. I did a load of these tests a few years ago on many different supra's, the RSR is loud, but not that loud at idle.

This was at Goodwood circuit, the limit was 98db at 0.5m, 45 degree angle from the exhaust at 3/4 RPM. I was lucky, only just passed!

This was at Goodwood circuit, the limit was 98db at 0.5m, 45 degree angle from the exhaust at 3/4 RPM. I was lucky, only just passed!

Ah, at 3/4 RPM that was very lucky, my RSR was 106db without the cats at Bedford. Luckily the bung brough it down to 98db! Though it killed the power and spool & saw high AFR's through the day :(

At idle it's a different matter, so hopefully that's all the new Irish law requires.

New NCT Requirements :

Questions :

To Whom it may Concern, With the new requirements for the NCT due, can you provide information on how the Decibel level of an exhaust is now measured?

-Is it measured outside?

- How far away from the car is the probe located?

- at what RPM is the car taken to for the purposes of taking a measurement?

- Is it a rolling test or a static test?

Answers :

· Distance from tail pipe to probe is 50cm at 45 degree angle

· RPM is ¾ of max RPM to produce max output of motor

· It is a static test (i.e. the vehicle is stationary)

Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Cathy O'Brien

Customer Service Dept.