The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Satisfying day's work

jim

Had today off and got a few bits and bobs done that I've been meaning to get round to. My carbon air duct arrived this week (thanks Keron), so I wanted to get it fitted, my lights have had some crazy condensation in them so I wanted to sort that too, then give it a good clean inside and out.

I know it's a lowly n/a engine bay :p but as I intend keeping the car for a long time yet (I've had it nearly three years now) I intend to turn it into something to be proud of.

I started off by taking off the induction kit and removing the headlights

I fired the headlights in the oven to try to dry them out, it worked well for the passenger side but the driver's side was so bad that I ended up splitting the light to dry it properly, then sealed it all up again with plenty of silicone. I wet sanded them while I was at it as they'd yellowed again since last time, then fired over them with rubbing compound and they've come out quite well. Machine polish would do them good though. I've got a set of the clear lenses from the group buy but I'm reluctant to take the dremel to my facelifts, I'm keeping an eye out for a cheap donor set though as mine seem to yellow very quickly.

I then decided to paint the fusebox cover, nothing fancy just a bit of gloss black, didn't come out too bad (don't think I'm ever going to make it as a painter) but is better looking than it was.

I got the carbon air duct in then, with a bit of farting about to get it to fit over the induction kit, and that should have been it for the engine bay for today anyway, but the cam cover was bugging me as it was a bit shabby looking, so I took it out and painted it too. It's not great, but again is an improvement so I'm happy enough.

Got it all back together, gave the engine a bit of a wipe down with a cloth and this is the way it's sitting now...very satisfying day in the driveway, I've earned my rocket this evening :sly:

Still plenty to do before the engine bay's done, I need a carbon fan shroud (which will have to be custom made I guess) and a carbon cooling plate to run from the front of the bumper to the carbon air duct, and get the big heat shield powder coated. Couple of other bits to paint black and a couple of other polished pieces (caps, clamps etc) will finish it off. Didn't get round to washing it or cleaning the interior, that'll keep me busy tomorrow for a bit. :cool:

Good effort mate. I would suggest it wise to wait for some old donors for the lenses rather than mince your facelifts. I have the same from a group buy. Dremelled one side nicely but the other one got carried away trying to cut the donor lenses to fit the new ones so they don't spring out too much and cut them back so far they don't follow the bodylines of the car (the lense steps in by 1cm from the side wing). I have another donor so will try my surgeon skills again at some point. They look awesome when done though.

I wasn't overly fussy with the painting bits as they'll eventually get powdercoated anyway, and I've had the lights out a few times already so I'm used to that, wasn't a big job by any means and I thought I was making a bit of a meal of it by taking most of the day :)

No distractions, the sun was shining, all was good.

I hope you get your lights sorted Duke, it's one job that I've been putting off and putting off :(

Ta all! :)

Sealed the lights up with normal (black) silicone from homebase H, I've used it before and it wasn't too successful but I'm hoping that's because I didn't use enough or missed a section, we'll see how it goes this time.

I really like the stuff Ray's got, but want to steer more towards a carbon rather than polished fan shroud, I need to get hold of an ordinary one and take it to the guy that did the carbon bits on my ridox kit to see if he can do it, if he does I'll ask if he'd do another Dave if you like bud.

No danger of damage Keron, it was well packaged up mate, cheers again got myself a bargain there imo. :)

I got the induction kit and pipe all for £25 off here, from natony when he was breaking his supra :) no idea where he got it from though bud.

I've got plast-x and had been using it up until the last time, when I tried wetsanding then a machine buff with 3g and finally a coat of wax, they looked amazing but yellowed again within four or five months :( Think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and have a go at fitting the clear lenses.

• 5 months later...

Time for a little bit of an update on my car.

I got some wheels from Gaijin before Christmas, and took them to be blasted and powdercoated in satin black. I got them fitted a few weeks ago now but have only really got round to getting the car cleaned properly this weekend as the weather's been so poor. I'm not sure of the satin finish, they're still a bit shiny and may go mat with them. I also put some hubcentric spacers on the rear to help fill the arches more, I think they sit just right. Need a little arch rolling though as they're scrubbing on big dips in the road. I'm also looking into getting some centre lugs fabricated.

I've got a fan shroud and have someone to wrap it in carbon for me but it's going to take a while to sort. I've a long list of 'nexts' to keep me busy over the coming months:

Sort out the rear end (cwest lense covers for rear lights, carbon backing plate and square number plate on, replace plate lights with leds, tint the red side markers)

Paint the calipers

New headunit and sub

Sort out the headlights (fit the clear lenses I've got for them, maybe look into getting the inserts done in carbon or carbon dipped)

Paint the dash

Continue with the engine bay (carbon cooling plate, polished pas tank, carbon battery cover, carbon fan shroud -got one-, strut brace, polished caps etc)