The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear quarter pannel replacment.

Guest Budz86

Evening all, just after your quick reactions please.

My car is in the bodyshop due to having the rear quarter clipped by one of my neighboughs. He accepted liablity and his insurance company is going to pay for all the work to be done. Took it to the bodyshop and they said they would fit a new pannel.

Went to pick it up today and noticed that the 'new' pannel has had an arch roll, like the previous pannel had. Thing is, my stock wheels are on there and no-where near rubbing, so why would they roll the arch on a new pannel? :blink:

Mentioned it to the guy and he said 'maybe our guy noticed it had been done and re-did it for you'. The look on his face told me he was surprised I noticed the arch roll, and the fact that he didn't know exactly makes me wonder if they even bothered with changing the pannel!

I'm guessing it's not standard practice to do, and he wouldn't have noticed the roll on the other side as he wasn't working anywhere near it.

What do you think people? :search:

Cheers in advance

Dean

Edit; If they didn't change the pannel and pulled it out with a slide hammer they stand to make about £1500 at least from the insurance company as the whole repair was quoted at £2,200!

Edited by Budz86 (see edit history)

Pull the rubbers off on the boot you will soon see if its been changed.

What would I be looking for?

I was thinking of trying to feel the inside of the pannel from the wheel arch but not sure you can reach that high.

pull the rubber off and look at the spot welds compare them to the otherside, The will look different. It may even have been mig welded which will really so up, Also look for signs of overspray from paint in the water runs usually there will be some unless the bodyshop are really really good. Also if it is the whole quarter panel pull the door rubber off and you should see the same thing i described at the begining upto about half way up the b post. If you want and example the rear quater panel has been changed on my car i can post some pics tomo if you would like of what to look for?

That would be great mate, ta.

I think I know what your talking about, but don't want to go through all that in front of them and not know where to look as they will think I'm a prat!

i would report them to the insurance company as its fraud at least threaten it if they aint changed it :)

Prob do this, or demand they split there earnings with me! :D

Seriously, I would have to take it further as if it is the old pannel, there is half a ton of filler there which could crack anytime and I'd have no leg's to stand on as they would turn round and say it wasn't them and it was some cowboy!

Ask if you can see the old panel!! Mind you, they might turn around and say 'sorry, its gone to scrap'

Did think about this, but the other thing that occured to me is that they just bought a second hand pannel from a scrap yard, but this would only save them a few quid as the pannel is only £320 and they'd still have to do all the work

you cant change the rear quater pannel can you? Its all one pannel with the roof the A pillar and down the other side of the car?

You would have to cut the skin out and weld in a replacement.

Thats probably why they havent changed the pannel.

Unless i know jack and im talking crap but ive never noticed any pannel gaps in my cars near the rear quaters :p

you cant change the rear quater pannel can you? Its all one pannel with the roof the A pillar and down the other side of the car?

You would have to cut the skin out and weld in a replacement.

Thats probably why they havent changed the pannel.

Unless i know jack and im talking crap but ive never noticed any pannel gaps in my cars near the rear quaters :p

You can change the rear quarter, but like you say it's all one piece so involves stripping the interior (rear seats etc), removing the boot and quarter glass, cutting out the old pannel half way up the C pillar and at the door sill, welding a new pannel in, grinding the welds, smooth it all out then spray it while blending into the door, rear bumper, boot lid and roof! Whole process takes about 2 weeks apparently, hence the reason for it costing over £2k!

Where as pulling it out would take a couple of days and net them a small fortune!

I'm thinking about asking to see the invoice from Toyota for the new pannel, but think they will get the ar$e if I do this. Mind you, they can't be happy with me questioning their work in the first place!

Edit: Beaten by Swampy and Carlos! Must learn to type faster!

Edited by Budz86
Too slow! (see edit history)

It's perfectly possible to change rear quarter panels, but a BIG job. If you feel inside the panel, with trim removed, where the dent was, a new panel will be perfect, a dented one still dented on the inside, and filled on the outside. it'll probably still be in whatever colour a new panel ships in, on the inside, and different from the original. I'd put money on them having filled and painted it. The wouldn't roll the edge without good reason, they may well not even have a rolling machine, it's not something many shops would need or want.

It's perfectly possible to change rear quarter panels, but a BIG job. If you feel inside the panel, with trim removed, where the dent was, a new panel will be perfect, a dented one still dented on the inside, and filled on the outside. it'll probably still be in whatever colour a new panel ships in, on the inside, and different from the original. I'd put money on them having filled and painted it. The wouldn't roll the edge without good reason, they may well not even have a rolling machine, it's not something many shops would need or want.

Exactly what I thought. Thanks for confirming that Chris. Is it possible to feel the inside of the pannel without putting it up on the ramp etc? Didn't think to do this untill I'd left the car.

Hmmm, I seem to think if you remove the rear speaker you can get your hand a fair distance in.

Interesting, never thought to check from inside the car.

Can anyone quickly pop out and see how far inside the wheel arch you can feel. Damage was about 6 inchs up from the highest point on the arch.