The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear quarter pannel replacment.

Guest Budz86

There is nothing wrong with questioning a garage or mechanics work as you are the customer and are entitled too.

Surely you aint the customer, youre the end user, the insurance company is the customer?

Depends on how bad the damage was in the first place and how much filler was used. The old magnet trick perhaps?

Surely you aint the customer, youre the end user, the insurance company is the customer?

Depends on how bad the damage was in the first place and how much filler was used. The old magnet trick perhaps?

Thats what I'm thinking. But if they are pulling a scam, the insurance company will be very interested to know.

Too big for a magnet, but a mate who is an old school pannel beater said he would have just pulled it out. I'm ashamed to say I didn't take pictures of the damage [OOPS][/OOPS]

Whereabouts was the damage ?

Easiest way to tell will be to look up the rain channel where the boot lid sits to the qtr panel, follow that channel all the way up examining it from where the lower boot rubber sits and compare it to the condition of the other side.

If its been repainted then that will look brand new compared to the other side.

Look up the roof panel just above the small side window for evidence of a repaint, thats the point where the roof and qtr panel meet.

Another option is to take off the boot plastics to the side of the quater panel that was damaged. You should be able to tell if its been repaired by the feel on the inside of the panel, new panels have a sticky black coating on them.

First pic shows the join on the rain channel and overspray where some muppet hasnt taken the seal of properly when masking!

Second pic is at the bottom of the door, shows some 'intresting' welding

Thrid shows some burn marks (if you look close) on the inside of the lip the rubber sits on. This is all over the place too because its a nightmare to get a pannel of so it gets bent, ground etc.

Also if you take the boot carpet and tools out you can see to the back pannel. this is where the wing pannel joins to the rear valance, you will defo see if its been cahnged there as the will be new joint sealer all along it which is not painted as there not gonna paint in the boot!.

Nice one, thanks guys. Hopefully this is enough info to arm myself with so I can ensure they have done what they said they would. I'll let you know later on if it is a new pannel or old.

Who ever did that work in the pics should be shot.

All this messing about, why not just pop to a local bodyshop or toyota dealer and ask them to put a paint depth measure on it. They will be able to tell you if its had a new panel.

If it hasnt then you need to be in touch with your insurance company and they will arrange a re-inspection.

Jon

Cheers Jon, spoke to them already and they told me to sit tight while they confirm it's all been done right. Have asked to see a copy of the invoice for the new part too, but still havn't been able to go down there again since yesterday to have another look!

• 2 weeks later...

tbh you shouldnt be getting so upset about the fact they didnt change the panel.. if the shop has a good panel beater it'll have minimal filler..

what you would find if they did change the whole quarter panel is certainly an imperfect fit, weld spatter inside the car.. also at the bottom of the panel the sealer would never be as good as factory spec

it pains me to even think about the complexity of changing the panel completely and making a perfect job of it.

i really wouldnt worry about the lack of a "new panel".

however i think i would contact the garage and find out why they take the piss and see if they will do your stonechips, scuffs for free as a please dont tell the insurance company bribe!!

Edited by MartinBattye
doh.. disregard!!!!! posted at same time!! (see edit history)

Personally I would rather have a 1/4 repaired than replaced, if its pulled out properly there should only be a thin skim of filler and far less invasive to the car than cutting out the old one and replacing it. Obviously if its done properly by an expert it shoud come out fine but my mate has a bodyshop and some of the cars he has had in over the years for repair that have allready been got at by others are frightning, like the pictures above.

He makes great efforts to make any new panels put on have the look of the original, even on the bits you cannot see withot remiving trim, the distance between the welds and the way the sealer is brushed on etc, he makes great efforts to make it as hard as possible to see that a panel has been replaced, unlike the above pictures.

When the assesor comes round to look at your car they agree a price, somewhere between the price of the bits and the labour the bodyshop thinks it can charge and the price the assesor thinks it should be, if a car is down for a wing and it is agreed but the wing can be repaired they will keep the new wing in stock, the next one which is a crap repair but the assesor will not agree a new panel it might be easier and more profitable for the bodyshop to replace the wing they kept from the last one and so on. So its swings and roundabouts for the bodyshop.

If my mate gets a car in and its down for a 1/4 and that is agreed by the assesor, when he comes to repair it and sees its an easy repair he will repair it rather than stick the 1/4 on, again, when he gets the next one in and they wont agree a new panel if its a crap job to repair he will put the panel or part of it on, wether this could be called fraud or not I am not sure, but if the car is repaired to a high standard does it matter ?