The mkiv Supra Owners Club

16mpg from an NA!

dani_r

I've just been doing some rough calculations and it looks like my Supra is getting drastically low MPG! :(

It looks like i'm getting around 16mpg, with a combination of mostly town driving then a few miles to work!

This, obviously, is not good :blink:

Can anyone please help? I've read a little about O2 sensors needing changing as that can make the MPG low, but could it also be the way it is being driven?

The only mods are a Blitz Nur Spec R Exhaust, non standard 17" alloys, few bits of body work, but nothing drastic!

Thanks in advance for your help :)

either the wire for one of your o2 sensors has snapped or 1 of your o2 sensors is bust or you have a fuel leak.

I was getting 18mpg out my n/a and it was my o2 wire had melted on exhaust. replaced o2 sensor reset ecu and was fine.

If you have a broken o2 sensor your ecu will not get signal and think oops something wrong will run rich.

Guest willismaximus

I'll keep an eye on this thread then as i'm getting somewhere between 17-19mpg out of my N/A and as i use it as my daily commuter it's costing me an arm and a leg so anything that could help increase my mpg is worth looking into :sly:

I usually get about 270-80 from a tank around the houses. Which is about 19/20mpg.

I just did a couple of days of motorway driving (again, not in a sedate way) and got 340 miles out of a tank. Which is about 23/24mpg I think.

How does that compare? Should I be thinking about a couple of O2 sensors too?

I got them in a group buy,

also just changing the 02 sensors might not do it,

i did a full service and changed the 02 sensors aswell as getting new tyres and having them inflated to the right pressure (makes a huge difference).

So there is loads of things you can do to aid MPG

I believe it to be worth it

what should the na do to the gallon ?:search:

About 24/25 depending on driving ive heard. From memory i think mines got as low as 14 once :blink:. Normally i get 16 to 18 so im way below what it should be but i do have a heavy right foot;). I should of got the O2 sensors changed ages ago, but you know what its like, the car works, goes well etc and theres always something else to buy (like a new house !) so i never got mine changed.

Ive never heard of anyone using universal ones on a supe so would be interested to hear of some results.

I usually get about 270-80 from a tank around the houses. Which is about 19/20mpg.

I just did a couple of days of motorway driving (again, not in a sedate way) and got 340 miles out of a tank. Which is about 23/24mpg I think.

How does that compare? Should I be thinking about a couple of O2 sensors too?

That matches mine pretty well, so either both our cars are fine or we both have the same problem.

No offence, but I find this thread pretty funny. People regularly comment about how well forum members look after their cars, and it's much better than buying some dog off autotrader etc. etc. - and there's a two page thread about whether it's worth spending the money on an O2 sensor (or two), with some people even admitting they thought their's were knackered but they still hadn't replaced them.

Maybe those autotrader / pistonhead cars aren't really so different eh?

That matches mine pretty well, so either both our cars are fine or we both have the same problem.

No offence, but I find this thread pretty funny. People regularly comment about how well forum members look after their cars, and it's much better than buying some dog off autotrader etc. etc. - and there's a two page thread about whether it's worth spending the money on an O2 sensor (or two), with some people even admitting they thought their's were knackered but they still hadn't replaced them.

Maybe those autotrader / pistonhead cars aren't really so different eh?

Excuse me Dave I was in no way saying I wouldn't buy one if I needed it. I'll have you know my car is in tip top condition :p

My fuel economy hasn't changed since I bought it just over four years ago.. it's serviced every 10k and no expense spared if it needs anything (as my bank manager will testify). I just thought I'd run it by the group :)

I know its a different car to compaire to, but my daily driver which is a Volvo 850R turbo 2.3 ltr which on an 8 mile round trip to work/ locally I'm only getting 17.2 mpg Lol!(and thats without a heavy foot).

But to be Honest Fuel economy wasn't really what I bought the car for. It was practical as it was an estate and has the added bonus of 250 bhp Lol!. P.S my Supra, (Uk Auto TT) ain't much better on short trips. both cars IMO do/ Have done better on long runs on motorway trips.

Eitherway the fuel economy I'm getting I exept as ok/ normal. If I wanted fuel economy I'd have probably bought some poverty spec diesel car instead of those two cars I currently own, Lol!.

Edited by GreaseMonkey (see edit history)