The mkiv Supra Owners Club

16mpg from an NA!

dani_r

I lost 100 miles to a tank when I fitted my new wheels. The garage blew them upto 28psi instead of 36. I could see the needle go down :(

this is probably also because your speedo is out as you have much bigger wheels than standard. so your doing the same miles in real life but your speedo thinks your doing less! common problem with switching to bigger wheels.

this is probably also because your speedo is out as you have much bigger wheels than standard. so your doing the same miles in real life but your speedo thinks your doing less! common problem with switching to bigger wheels.

If you change your wheels to larger, you should down size the profile of the tyre so that the rolling radius of the complete wheel is the same and therefore the speedo in not affected.

I didn't switch to bigger wheels. I went 1" smaller. After I blew them upto 36psi I now get my usual 340 miles to a tank.

I drove through the centre of london once in jams to mitcham 3up & i think i was getting like 14 odd mpg, on another occasion (2 up & luggage) i drove to Blackpool & then back on a full tank, i did an extra £20 on leaving Blackpool, but i had lots left on my return, at a guess £15 to £20 worth, the mpg on that trip was probably double the other figure, so type of driving can have loads to do with mpg figures.

Only a few weeks ago I had the original O2 sensor replaced on my TT. One of the reasons being 18mpg under a conservative right foot, the other being it was 100,000 miles old- so to speak.

The results of my new mpg?

No idea- went to take her out yesterday...bloody battery's flat :rolleyes:

Don't think this is a cure, mine lasted 9 weeks with the lemon treatment before I suffered from bad mileage again. I bought 2 x 20 quid universals sensors in the end.

Not always as the sensor may be too far gone (like charging up a shagged battery) - but it is a good diagnostic test to see if it is the O2 sensors before forking out on new ones.

-Ian