The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My '98 VVTi TT manual

SilverSoop

Hi all, ok here's the thing, i have had my supe since december and the mileage is starting to rack up. In the near future, i want to start to get my engine and turbo work underway.

Basically i want brand new engine internals, new turbo's, exhaust system and performance to match.

I also want a new ECU and to get it mapped...

Here's the list i that i want done to the car...

1. New Valves, Valve springs and Valve stems...

2. Ported and polished head...

3. CP pistons...

4. Carillo rods...

5. New lightweight flywheel (not sure which type)??

6. New twin plate clutch (not sure which type)??

7. New block - whats the best??

8. HKS head gasket...

9. New turbo's - stage 3 hybrid turbo's...what's are the best turbo's for a TT set up??

10. GReddy full Ti exhaust system...

11. New manifold - what's the best??

12. Six or eight pot complete upgrade - what's the best??

13. New ECU and mapping...

14. New injectors - what is the ideal cc to get??

15. Aquamist water injection/spray...

16. Twin walbro fuel pumps...

17. Engine polished and chromed (who does this??)

18. Carbon fibre rocker cover...

19. GReddy oil cap...

20. Envy anodised rocker cover bolts...

21. Aluminium Hard pipe...

22. Chrome/aluminium induction pipe withan Apexi filter...

Ideally im looking for a reliable Supra to stay as a TT but to have 500 bhp +

What other parts would i need to buy to achieve this performance and in terms of price, what would i realistically be looking at??

If there is anything i have missed out in terms of parts, feel free to let me know what else that i will need to buy...:)

Edited by SilverSoop (see edit history)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have a look at my spec Shane mate in my garage good set up for stage 3 hybrids but if going single sure loads will help you out what's best cheers lui

Also in my signature click on link of my full engine rebuild lots of good info there too mate ;)

Guest Nicholas

Surely you;re not gong to stick with a twin turbo setup? if you're going the way of a full engine build why not go single?

Have a look at my spec Shane mate in my garage good set up for stage 3 hybrids but if going single sure loads will help you out what's best cheers lui

Yeh i want to stay TT like you lui. How much can the stage 3 hybrids take in terms of power??

Cheers for that lui :)

Yeh i want to stay TT like you lui. How much can the stage 3 hybrids take in terms of power??

Cheers for that lui :)

Good build right parts not cutting corners & right person doing work good for around 450-470 BHP

Surely you;re not gong to stick with a twin turbo setup? if you're going the way of a full engine build why not go single?

I just dont want to go single because of the BS with the single setup problems. I mean lui has a TT setup and his supe works lovely and well...:)

Guest Nicholas

Also are you going to keep the VVTI or by pass it? you will need that HKS cam variator kit if you're going with after market cams which I guess you are?

ECU could also prove a bit of a problem I know the aem can use the stock ecu as a piggyback to control throttle, might be a good idea going for a race aem ecu.

If your looking for 500 + BHP you will need to go single.

If your dead set on staying with twins you will need 550 injectors to run 1.4 bar boost.

If your building the head what about using ferrea valves, springs etc.

Colsoop or supradibbs for chroming/polishing

CE pistons? do you mean CP?

Other things off the top of my head would be:

Fuel pump, lines and filter.

Boost controller

Oil Cooler

Cams

RLTC??

Decent brake pads

new SMIC of FMIC

Rad

Alot non essential but worth having IMO

Not bad at all! Im looking for 500bhp or a little more at the rear wheels with that type of setup.

Or am i not being realistic...

500rwhp is not possible on hybrids, some small singles even struggle with that output.

TBH I would say 500fwhp is not possible on hybrids either.

Also are you going to keep the VVTI or by pass it? you will need that HKS cam variator kit if you're going with after market cams which I guess you are?

ECU could also prove a bit of a problem I know the aem can use the stock ecu as a piggyback to control throttle, might be a good idea going for a race aem ecu.

Yeh i do want to keep the VVTi preferbly and yeh i want upgraded cams. Not sure which type or make to go with that would be best for the VVTi setup...

How much does the HKS cam variator cost??

If your looking for 500 + BHP you will need to go single.

If your dead set on staying with twins you will need 550 injectors to run 1.4 bar boost.

If your building the head what about using ferrea valves, springs etc.

Colsoop or supradibbs for chroming/polishing

CE pistons? do you mean CP?

Other things off the top of my head would be:

Fuel pump, lines and filter.

Boost controller

Oil Cooler

Cams

RLTC??

Decent brake pads

new SMIC of FMIC

Rad

Alot non essential but worth having IMO

Ok so we're really looking at 470 bhp maximum with the twins then...

Yeh sorry pig i meant CP pistons...:innocent:

I have already got a boost controller, FMIC...but like you said might be an idea to get the rest.

What injector make would you recommend??

I just dont want to go single because of the BS with the single setup problems. I mean lui has a TT setup and his supe works lovely and well...:)

A properly installed single turbo system is perfectly reliable, just ask those that had theirs fitted properly :) And as has been said already, hybrids wont make that sort of power.

A properly installed single turbo system is perfectly reliable, just ask those that had theirs fitted properly :) And as has been said already, hybrids wont make that sort of power.

Ok then, if i have to go single to get the power i want,

what turbo?? GT4088?? :search:

A wildly optimistic maximum you'll get is 400rwhp (about 470fwhp). Thats with everything done.

There is no point rebuilding the engine for this, it might get an extra few bhp, but is an utter waste of money if your current engine has good compression.

So:

- Cams and VVTi cam controller

- hybrids (does the VVTi twin have the ceramics, i remember there were some differences??)

- Standalone ECU (Link G3, AEM, Motec...)

- Water injection

- CW side mounted intercooler

- OS Giken Carbon/Carbon clutch (think it comes with a flywheel)

Then body wise

- Chris Wilson suspension setup

- New suspension arms, stock bushes, track rod ends

- Keep your current brake setup

To be honest mate I think you're wasting your money. Just get it to BPU and be happy with it, to get that little bit extra will cost thousands and you'll have almost nothing to show for it.

The money is much better spent on getting the suspension working correctly - this is what will make it a FAR quicker and enjoyable car on the road.

A wildly optimistic maximum you'll get is 400rwhp (about 470fwhp). Thats with everything done.

There is no point rebuilding the engine for this, it might get an extra few bhp, but is an utter waste of money if your current engine has good compression.

So:

- hybrids (does the VVTi twin have the ceramics, i remember there were some differences??)

- Water injection

Then body wise

To be honest mate I think you're wasting your money. Just get it to BPU and be happy with it, to get that little bit extra will cost thousands and you'll have almost nothing to show for it.

The money is much better spent on getting the suspension working correctly - this is what will make it a FAR quicker and enjoyable car on the road.

Well said Darryl spend on handling upgrades & enjoy what you have for a while save you thosands ;)

So:

- Water injection

Then body wise

Yeh that is true but as i said, my miles are racking up and i want everything pretty much new. And in the process, upgrade my engine.

To what stage though, im not sure of yet...

With the upgrades that you have posted there darryl, what rwhp would i be expecting??

Edited by SilverSoop (see edit history)

Here's the list i that i want done to the car...

1. New Valves, Valve springs and Valve stems...

2. Ported and polished head...

3. CE pistons...

4. Carillo rods...

5. New lightweight flywheel (not sure which type)??

6. New twin plate clutch (not sure which type)??

7. New block - whats the best??

8. HKS head gasket...

9. New turbo's - stage 3 hybrid turbo's...what's are the best turbo's for a TT set up??

10. GReddy full Ti exhaust system...

11. New manifold - what's the best??

12. Six or eight pot complete upgrade - what's the best??

13. New ECU and mapping...

14. New injectors - what is the ideal cc to get??

15. Aquamist water injection/spray...

16. Twin walbro fuel pumps...

17. Engine polished and chromed (who does this??)

18. Carbon fibre rocker cover...

19. GReddy oil cap...

20. Envy anodised rocker cover bolts...

21. Aluminium Hard pipe...

22. Chrome/aluminium induction pipe withan Apexi filter...

Good list.

5-6. On a Hybrid powered car you don't need anything too extreme. I'd probably go with a RPS Max and flywheel which work nice although ACT, Southbend etc also do nice options.

7. Stock block. We can sell them from Titan which are fully checked over before dispatch, its just as cheap as buying one from Toyota GB.

8. Just run a stock gasket unless you want to change compression.

11. You'll not require a manifold with the stock turbo's.

12. Endless, AP, StopTech or Brembo are good choices.

13. Pick a tuner (I'd choose Ryan) and see what he recommends.

14. I'd go with Power Enterprise 650cc injectors for future proofing in case you want to change to a small single.

HTH a little :)

Regards,

Gaz.

Complete waste of money IMO.

1. GT35R/Boost Logic T61 (DO NOT get a 4088 from eBay...)

2. MoTeC M600/800 + Mapping

3. 650cc injectors

4. Walbro or UK Spec fuel pump.

5. RPS Street Max clutch or Southbend DXD-F.

6. Aquamist wouldn't be a bad thing.

7. Brembo matched front/rear brake kit.

That's all you need to do IMO.

You said you are going to see Mark at Phoenix for you decat on Friday, take this time to speak with him on what you want from the car, he is full of good advice and experience and has seen many set ups on both single and twins, including building Lui's car

You may be surprised how much money you need to spend to get a true 500 BHP at the wheels, but I know for sure you will need a mid sized single turbo, mine will still be there on Friday and it should run 500 wheel BHP with the T67, Mark will tell you how much I have spent to get there !!, take your time and do it right

Edited by tooquicktostop (see edit history)