The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What rear rotors?

Bobbeh

I've bought most of my brake bits (yes they're still not fitted - I'm lazy) but I need some rear rotors and I'm undecided on what to get.

I was thinking just stick with stock discs with uprated pads at the rear, but would getting some slotted/grooved rear rotors to match the fronts make much difference to braking performance overall?

I found stock to work just as well as the BDA slotted discs that I have on now for everyday use and spirited drives. Although I'd say stock would give better ultimate stopping power in an emergency as you have more surface area acting on the pad.

However after the first visit to the N'ring when I had stock discs they warped ever so slightly. Nothing major at all, only noticable on heavy braking.

I've done two visits on the BDAs and they are still strong and true.

The question of brake balance - with slotted on the front and stock on the back there will be a slight balance change. But how much this is I don't think I would like to speculate.

I suppose if you brake as hard as you can and make sure that the rears are not locking up then all is well. Its just a thought by the way.... I wouldn't say it was a scientific pass or fail type of excercise :)