The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RLTC - does yours cut out when adjusting?

Pete

Does your RLTC stop the engine when taken from Wet to Off?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Does your RLTC stop the engine when taken from Wet to Off?

• Yes, mine cuts out when going straight from Wet to Off
    • No, I can whizz mine around all settings and the engine is unaffected.

I've noticed something a bit odd with my RLTC unit and was hoping others could confirm if theirs did similar?

Using Phil (Terminators) Winter Auto DAT on a VVTi. Everything works fantastic. Always has, cuts well, all sensors etc as you'd expect, RPM, wheels, logging checks out all a-ok.

Mine is a standard unit without Launch or Digi adjuster, although I've seen the same on another car with a digi adjuster.

The odd thing is if I turn the dial from Wet all the way through to off the car hits about 23% and sends a hard cut which kills the engine. Obviously very dangerous if done whilst moving as PAS etc cuts out.

I've tried other DATs to no avail (which I wouldn't expect to make a difference anyway).

Do other peoples do this?

Thanks.

Pete, has this actually happened, or does it currently happen to your car with your RLTC unit, or were you using your car to test my RLTC unit when it occurred?

I spoke to Matt about datalogging. He's never heard anything like it. I know a member from the forum also PM'd me about this. I'll let you know the details.

Thanks,

Greg

Mine does exactly the same Pete, at 22% on the digi adjuster. It only cuts the engine at idle though, tried it on the move and it doesn't do it.

I have no idea why, although i am trying to find the time to get the laptop out and have a look.

Mine has still got Terminators fast road file as we did it when we set it up.

Thanks Rich.

This is very strange. Is it something to do with an older model then? Matt didn't seem to think it would be the DAT file causing the problem either, but then another member (who's name I cannot disclose) said the DAT file was the problem for him and that resolved it.

Good news, and I mean very good news, is it doesn't cut out when driving!! :) That would be bloody dangerous if it did.

Will keep people updated with any results. Pete - I'm sure you'll want to get yours resolved too, but at least it's not as much of a problem as I first expected. :)

Cheers,

Greg

Mine was doing the same thing only it did cut whist driving! I got onto mike at Racelogic and he checked out my dat file which was got from a here and said that it was wrong for my setup etc (he corrected it) and told me to load it back on. Did that and it seemed to cure that problem but then the car wouldn’t start when the system was plugged in, so i had it check professional and they said that the installation was fine, as it was fitted with a professional auto sparky using a field harness. So it’s currently disconnected sitting on my work bench! I have been in a car which RL and its great but TBH im not sure if I want to put it back in as I don’t really trust it anymore!

Its because you are all Auto's and teh Launch uses the same volgage.

Simply download a Manual map from us or enable Launch in your maps guys.

What is the difference between an auto and manual map? Surely a manual map on an auto isn't a good idea? I will try your suggestion out of curiosity.

Also, my own unit doesn't have launch so I can't enable it.

There is no real difference between the auto and manual dats in the areas of slip control. The main difference is the manual have a usable set of settings for launch. To be honest the two types are interchangeable. If you have an auto and set the launch setting to 0, it will most likely causes unwanted cut at unpredictable time.

I have been using the dat on which the MKIV store dats are based, for more than five years without issue. The base dat which adapted from my own use came form a UK manual that had RLTC installed and set up by Race Logic. One one real issue arose that caused problems only with VVTI, which were introduced after the original settings were created by RL. I did ask for a sticky to be put up regarding te n smoothing setting. Race Logic now say that the MKIV does not need the smoothing to have a setting greater than 0. My original dat and all the ones used by the majority of MKIV owners on net.

In later built cars this setting was causing a problem as niose in the system was causing activatin of cut at inapropriate times.

"The odd thing is if I turn the dial from Wet all the way through to off the car hits about 23% and sends a hard cut which kills the engine. Obviously very dangerous if done whilst moving as PAS etc cuts out."

I need clarification here 23% of what?

I can not see this being related to the dat, as all the dat does is alter it's severity of cut in relation to the adjuster position. So in going from wet to off, the selector is increasing the amount of spin allowed before cut takes place. What you describe is the exact opposite. Unless something very unsual has happened to the dat around the 20% cut level, this suggests a mechanical/electrical problem with the adjuster.

"Mine was doing the same thing only it did cut whist driving! I got onto mike at Racelogic and he checked out my dat file which was got from a here and said that it was wrong for my setup etc (he corrected it) and told me to load it back on. Did that and it seemed to cure that problem but then the car wouldn’t start when the system was plugged in, so i had it check professional and they said that the installation was fine, as it was fitted with a professional auto sparky using a field harness. So it’s currently disconnected sitting on my work bench! I have been in a car which RL and its great but TBH im not sure if I want to put it back in as I don’t really trust it anymore!"

It is very unusual for a dat that works in over 170 cars cause such problems. Rob would you mind sending me a copy of the dat that did not work and the one Mike gave you. I would like to know what was "wrong" email [email protected]. In adition I may be able to solve your problem. Please zip the dat as some ISP can cause coruption issues during transfer.

It's corrupt dat files. I bet myself another pint on it.

Nope. Mines a Strap-em-on please :)

It's the Firmware issue with the launch. Raising the launch RPM cut to silly numbers has masked the problem. I won't say fixed as it'll need a firmware upgrade really. I wonder if this can be done via Telnet...

Thanks Phil for your input too. Nice to know we both agree the DATs weren't at fault.

I meant 23% on the digital adjuster reading when you adjust from dry to wet.

"Mine was doing the same thing only it did cut whist driving! I got onto mike at Racelogic and he checked out my dat file which was got from a here and said that it was wrong for my setup etc (he corrected it) and told me to load it back on. Did that and it seemed to cure that problem but then the car wouldn’t start when the system was plugged in, so i had it check professional and they said that the installation was fine, as it was fitted with a professional auto sparky using a field harness. So it’s currently disconnected sitting on my work bench! I have been in a car which RL and its great but TBH im not sure if I want to put it back in as I don’t really trust it anymore!"

It is very unusual for a dat that works in over 170 cars cause such problems. Rob would you mind sending me a copy of the dat that did not work and the one Mike gave you. I would like to know what was "wrong" email [email protected]. In adition I may be able to solve your problem. Please zip the dat as some ISP can cause coruption issues during transfer.

Just sent it to you :)