The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Weight of car

Dave222

I hope to get mine down to around 1400 kg's which is fairly achievable i believe.

I wont be using carbon fibre to achieve that either.

The problem with the carbon fibre products sold is that they are fibreglass backed rather than pure carbon fibre so aren't as light as they could potentially be.

I don't actually know how much weight would be saved. Depends on how mad you go. The bonnet is ally anyway, it's very light, just get rid of that insulation tat to make it lighter :) Most of the door weight is motor, glass, structure. The outer skin isn't that much. The tailgate, again, is all glass and motor and structure. Replace the upper skin and it won't amount to much. There is probably 20kg of metal there that you'll knock down to 10kg, for a massive amount of work and cost, and it'll look shit. At least you've be able to load the boot and get into the car via the panel gaps instead of opening the doors ;)

You could replace the whole structures with CF instead of just reskinning but the cost is astronomical, you'll remove crash structures, and still won't get rid of *that* much weight.

I'm of the opinion that most usage of carbon fibre is so that people can say "I've got carbon fibre".

-Ian

Use Polycarbonate that's UV resistant. Its virtually unbreakable and won't go opaque with age.

Prices used to be £45 for a big sheet of 6mm, can't remember where though.

Be careful if its going to be used on a wind up window as it scratches easily. Clean the seals that it passes through at the top of the door skin and keep them clean otherwise you'll have a shed load of scratches on the first wind!

1200kg would take a sh*t load of work mate, this is a subject dear to my heart at the moment, to loose that much weight you would end up with basically a track car that would be awefull on the road i have also worked with polycarb sheet and a fly would scratch it:D , you can ditch about 50kg reasonably easy, having just had a re-spray i ditched loads of crap off the car even replacing the rear crash bar with an alluminium angle, i want to get the car weighed to see how well i've done

Picture 037.jpg

I have stripeed the interior, pretty much and hope to get mine on a weigh bridge in the next couple of weeks, we can have a competition to see who can get the lightest :D

yeah i'me up for that col :D, at the end of the day weight reduction is the cheapest performance upgrade you can do, stuff removed so far~

spare wheel and all rear interior including seats and sound insulation

rear wiper and all piping/wiring

arial and all wiring

rear hatch lock (hole in light blanked)

all towing brackets

front and rear crash bars (rear replaced with ally)

charcoal canister

catch can (wasn't doing jack anyway)

re-located smaller washwipe bottle to rear

high level brake light (cosmetic really)

other items single turbo conversion, lightweight alloy wheels

and basically any other misc brackets, pipes, wiring, etc removed