The mkiv Supra Owners Club

"Uprated" Miami-GT SMIC installation.

imi

Got my "uprated" Miami-GT SMIC last week. this will be installed on Monday at Rebus and a dyno run will follow.

I unpacked it today, a couple of damaged fins which I am not pleased about but I hope it doesnt effect performance.

Looks like a nice piece of kit...some pics attached.

EDIT - JUST ADDED ANOTHER CLOSE UP PIC OF THE INSIDE.

MIAMI-GT SMIC 011.jpg

MIAMI-GT SMIC 015.jpg

MIAMI-GT SMIC 020.jpg

MIAMI-GT SMIC 007.jpg

MIAMI-GT SMIC 006.jpg

MIAMI-GT SMIC 005.jpg

MIAMI-GT SMIC 024.jpg

They are fine, that's how they're meant to be.

Just wash with soapy water and they'll be good as new. ish.

It's the *external* ones that are harder to fix, especially on the 'hot' side.

But you can carefully pry them off and leave the ones behind to do the work. As long as you can see light through the core (not blocked by distorted fins) it will work OK.

If it's totally corroded with salt damage then it's gotta go...

Those bent fins are nothing to worry about - just straighten them out.

I wouldn't mesh either - at speed the airflow restriction will act like a wall, unless you put in a mesh so wide as to be useless.

I guess youre right...the stock ones lasted 9-10 yrs....so why not this one.

1st three plots...

BEFORE

2nd three plots

AFTER

SUMMARY

I'm quite happy with the quality of the intercooler....and the fitting was fine...although a bit tight to get in...damaged a few fins getting it in. :(

I would recommend either this or the stock replacement to anyone....they certainly perform better than the "SHAGGED" stock SMIC. While the quality of the finishing might not be on par with the CW SMIC, it is nearly half the price (certainly the stock rep one, the uprated one is 2/3 rd the price and I DOUBT that the CW SMIC is any better than these in BPU conditions on a J-SPEC.

I did a before AND after run TODAY, and the difference was 5 bhp (running the same fuelling and same AFR settings)

We then started to tweak these and I got 310 at the wheels...(previous best in May was 300).

there seems to be a problem with the boost....it hits 1.2 bar and then tails off only to creep up AGAIN in the high revs....which is very strange.

they dont believe that its the vacuum hose leak cause the boost wouldnt creep up again after the dip....instead they think its the actuators.......ANY SUGGESTIONS??

RR-session 001.jpg

RR-session 002.jpg

RR-session.jpg

RR-session 006.jpg

RR-session 007.jpg

RR-session 008.jpg

significant increase in torque there Imi - thats gotta be quite noticable on the road??

TBH buddy.....I drove the car back today after the installation, certainly not worse than before...it is better...smooth, got a certain urgency about it, it GOES...for sure. I'll drive it my normal route over the next few days, then will be in a better position to give quality feedback.

Certainly recommend it though....Thx to Paul (Miami-GT) for the good service....well appreciated.

I am still dissappointed at the boost not sustaining 1.2bar....cause that car isnt performing to its optimum....I wish someone could troubleshoot what the problem is by looking at the symptoms, the boost creeping back up is a weird one.

Thanks Imi -

http://miami-gt.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/640?osCsid=3b4a09ed7c00628396b8ac86006e527a

10 working days for each one

Nice result there in HP - and even better the Torque figure seems to have jumped by nearly 20 ft/lbs (?) AND comes in earlier too!

Watch the running when weather gets cooler too with your current settings....

IMHO the drop off of boost probably controller related in some way...

• 4 weeks later...