The mkiv Supra Owners Club

J-Spec Supra MOT... failed!

go-NATs

I just had my Supra in the shop for an MOT. Since it's Japanese spec, I was told that the emissions data is what failed it. :thumbdown According to the inspector, the exhaust levels acceptable in the UK are rated at 0.3! My car registered a whopping 10.3 with the exhaust being 'too rich' as he put it! I'm not even sure what this number means. Anyway, he's taking the car to another garage that specializes in Japanese cars to see if the rating is acceptable for the import J-Spec Supra.

Has anyone ever failed an MOT after doing engine modifications?

The engine is from an Aristo and I told the mechanic in Japan to leave the catalytic converter on until I get it MOT'd! He badly wanted to take it off! I'll probably have it removed afterwards.

Any help greatly appreciated! :help:

go-NATS

sorry about the news, just had my supe mot'd, 1994 j-spec witout cats it passed the emmisions test!! pre 95 j-spec cars dont need the cats for emmisions, i believe it only applies to 95 onwards. your car should have passed fella

is this in writing anywhere?

It is indeed, have fun:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_730.htm

I'm not sure that's the current regulations (it says June 2002 at the bottom). My local garage has passed my 1994 supra with no cats for three years in a row. But the last time I went, the guy said that next year it would have to be subject to the full cat test. I think this ties in with the new systems all the MOT station are meant to be getting.

just had my 94" auto mot'd and it has both cats still on (just bought it) and it passed but asked the guy that tested it about the emissions and he said that my car can have both removed and will still pass as does not need to pass the emissions test there is a seperate one

unless 10+ is far tomuch for any road car i think the guy is having you on

I'm thinking the oxygen sensor may have to be replaced! Darn' it! I'll see if the Japanese spec-car guy can give me a better 'score'. If Supra's are passing MOT's with CATS removed, I guess it's a win-win situation! More power & it's legal. Most MOT shops make it sound like it's a bad thing to remove your catalytic converter! I guess it's not so bad after all.

go-NATS

I found out today that my Lambda sensor has gone bad! It's being replaced for about 70 pounds! The engine should be running fine after that. The mechanic wasn't the type that would take a cool 50 pound note either!

go-NATS!

You wouldnt want to not replace the lambda sensor tho.

I'm not sure that's the current regulations (it says June 2002 at the bottom). My local garage has passed my 1994 supra with no cats for three years in a row. But the last time I went, the guy said that next year it would have to be subject to the full cat test. I think this ties in with the new systems all the MOT station are meant to be getting.

It's an odd one, my 94 TT J-Spec didn't pass with both cats out on the new system, but there are several members on here who said that they din't even have to have a cat test on cars ages 93/94/95.