The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Induction Kit Test Results

Angarak

In my short time as a member here I've seen numerous posts on induction kits, and seen people recommend APEXI over other makes such as HKS, BLITZ and K&N.

From the posts I've read, many comments where made to "tests show that..." but I cant remember seeing a link, so after some 'googling' I found the following 2 links on another Supra site:

:: http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/1/

:: http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

Hope they're of use.

I think I need to change my HKS for an Apexi :cry:

Anyone know if I can do a straight swap from a HKS Mushroom to an an Apexi filter using the same induction pipe? (I think its a HKS pipe)

Same question for me. I'm thinking of building a heat shield and just fitting an Apexi filter to the now HKS filter pipe. My filter looks like sh*t and is in dyer need of replacement.

Hey - a slight hijack, but since we're kinda on the right subject:

Some people have reattached the air duct that sits on top of the fan cowling to supply cold air to their induction kit. How? If I can't do this soon then it's bye-bye apexi to one of you guys! ;)

Its held on with one bolt on a bracket on top of the radiator.

Does anyone know how the upgraded panel filters in a stock airbox compare to the induction kits regarding filtration and performance increase (waits patiently for Chris Wilson's opinion on this)

That link has been there since the Dawn of Time mate.

The Apexi fares better in filtration because it is a paper element (like the stock unit)

Unfortunately the effective cleaning area is *much* less than the stock panel, despite the far higher price.

You need to replace it often then (can't wash it) and it will STILL draw in warmed up air from the engine bay. (I've got sensors in the bay and it is typically 35C over ambient in this freaking cold weather. In the summer it easily exceeds 40C over ambient at low speeds.)

You need to shield it properly all around and allow it to breathe only from the front.

Exactly what the stock airbox does, lol....

Instead of going for Apex'i just pick up the K&N catalogue and measure the diameter of the intake pipe, and the size of the area you can fill. Then flick through the catalogue for a suitable filter.

They do 3->3.5->3.75->4" connectors for pod filters...get the largest you can fit in the space...and shield it from heat (esp the radiator!)

I've got a 6"x6" cone filter with 3.75" diameter fitting. RU9006 I think in the K&N catalogue.

Just make sure you oil the filter before installing!!! And clean it yearly with a K&N care pack.

Obviously this still isn't better than using the stock airbox, but I don't have a choice.

mods 008.jpg

mods 014s.jpg

But it doesn't make a nice noise :rolleyes: :D

No it doesn't, noise reduction was another function in the design brief.

It also leaves no option for the engine but to suck air from cooler areas (something only a hermetically sealed airbox can do)

The two 'snorkel' intakes of the stock airbox don't push air in the box as some people think. They just force the airbox to suck air from those cool locations.

That's why leaving the plastic intake when installing a cone filter (as many people do) achieves next to nothing.

I do like the noises. What's the comparison in performance: stock or K&N filter in stock airbox vs the apexi cone with a proper heatshield?

Don't think anyone's done a proper comparison...

Have you seen the MAx-Air kit from MVP though? That looks like a handy shield for a cone.