The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pics of my other great interest

jaymdee

I realize that many may not be interested, but here's a couple of pics of the 'other car' in my life - my 1990 16v Lancia Delta Integrale.

I hope to be getting some good pics of the Supra at the weekend, as I realized I've not posted a decent set (oops :stupid: ) - still, should look A1 when Toyota bodyshop have finished. (hope to collect on Friday) :woot:

J

Thanks guys, :thumbs: :thanks:

The Supra is the 'everyday' car, but I actually enjoy walking out in the morning and the first decision of the day is "which one do I take?"

Not really driven the Supra for 7 weeks now due to the bump in the back, so missed the best of the dry weather :( , and I was all set to get my FMIC installed and boost raised to 1.2 bar (only running at 1 bar at the mo)

J

one of my support team just bought a faded red (pink) one of those. He's planning on rebuilding it, tuning it and beating my supra with it...should be good to see how quick it really is.

JB

Old red paint is a bugger to keep looking nice and deep. Personally I think he'll have to go some to outrun a Supra in a straight line. They are totally different cars to drive, but both awesome!!

260 bhp is relatively easy, just a chip to 1.4bar boost, which makes them rapid once moving. You can get them up to 350bhp, but you probably need a bigger turbo, rebuilt internals etc. You can strip them out to remove weight, but without a new racing clutch I think he'll struggle getting away with the stock unit - I don't bother with fast starts, as I don't want to kill it.

If I don't get my Supe back on Friday, I may be having to take it to Bovington... :tongue:

J

Nice car, this was mine- http://www.chillipower.com/Galleries/Lancia%20Gallery/Lou_Grale.JPG - I sold it to get the supra TT though...

Also, got a gallery of some Grale's in action here if you're interested - http://www.chillipower.com/Galleries/Lancia%20Gallery/Gallery.php

:)

Some cool pics you've got there!! :clap: I like the Martini livery on yours, very nice

My next Lancia - '037' rally car (now all i need is £40K, and one available to buy)

J

wow, how many dials has that got in the cockpit?!

Always been the Stratos for me, ever since I was a nipper. I still dabble with the idea of the kitcar version...

http://www.hawkcars.co.uk/hf3000/hfspecs.html

...but not being in the slightest mechanically minded I can't see it ever happening (turnkey examples are £30,000). A 'lottery win' car really - then I can have it to the exact spec I want.

Nice car though J.

wow, how many dials has that got in the cockpit?!

Always been the Stratos for me, ever since I was a nipper. I still dabble with the idea of the kitcar version...

http://www.hawkcars.co.uk/hf3000/hfspecs.html

...but not being in the slightest mechanically minded I can't see it ever happening (turnkey examples are £30,000). A 'lottery win' car really - then I can have it to the exact spec I want.

Nice car though J.

Yeah I like the Stratos too, always a fave in racing games eg, Forza, PG2...

Standard dials are:

Speedometer & Tachometer

Petrol Gauge

Boost Gauge

Battery Voltage

Water Temperature

Oil Pressure

Oil Temperature

It also has an warning light which comes on at random and means:

"Something may not be quite right...which could include the electricals for this light" :D :shrug:

J

My dad used to have one and it was awesome. Probably my favourite car that he had when I was growing up.

It handled like nothing else around at the time, like driving on rails! :D

He p/xed it for an E30 M3 and on its weekly drive aparently got sideswiped and wrote off! :(

Friend had one sold it couple of month's ago for a z3 :drown: nice pink (faded red) first time i drove it tried to change gear with the door handle, dam LHD cars. When he bought it the boost was turned way up 1.6 bar 5 months lager the turbo blew then the crank was found to be bent so it was a rather expensive toy. But my god did it go round corners well.

I ran my 'grale and drove it every day for nearly 5 years and so I got to know it pretty well indeed!

IIRC 1.2 bar is the figure I remember for 270bhp, 1.4 bar is quite high and TBH without other suitable mods would lead to premature failure somewhere.

It would be possible to supe up a grale to take on a stock Supra, but once you start fiddling with that 2jz-gte it has so much more potential being an immensly strong 3.0 24v i6 that it's game over really, even with just BPU style mods, let alone big singles. 270-300bhp is "fairly" easy on the 'grale, much beyond this it starts getting more tricky. Running lots of boost results in cracked heads, blown turbos, damaged crank and so on and so forth... I had one engine die (crank big ends), another crack the head and another start to go on me!

Regarding handling, I've never driven a completely stock supra, or 'grale for that matter. I can honestly say that for the kind of driving I do most, the supra actually handles better - think it's wider and more stable for starters.

The 'grale is more chuckable at low speeds, the supra requires more care when sticking your foot down round very tight twisties, but then it's much more powerful too so this is to be expected to some extent. At higher speeds the supra is rock solid, more so than any other car I have driven.

Overall the 'grales handling is very good, they do suffer from understear, switching to sharp overstear on lift-off - a feature of permenant 4wd and weight transfer.

The 'grale really comes into it's own in the wet or on lose ground. However, standard its dry handling performance is not the best. Often people change the suspension to improve this dry handling, but at the detriment of what was its original strength, this can leave a car that has no best strengths and takes away what it originally had going for it.

For me, I don't race around in the wet or on mud/dirt and TBH 2wd or 4wd or 'n'wd doesn't make the car stop quicker or have higher lateral g handling. So I have gone from a 4wd evangelist to more of a 2wd is fine for all circumstances I'm interested in going fast in lol. So after having fun with one for many years, it was not much of a sacrafice to switch to 2wd. RLTC and decent rear tires should give enough grip for all dry weather requirements, I have no illusions that I want a fast wet weather car now, this means the supra can be less comprimised for raw dry weather performance.

As for off the lights performance, well you have to go careful. 4wd, a fair degree of power, something has to give. I've pulled away with massive 4 wheel spins before, but if it grips something has to give. I broke a clutch one time and a drive shaft another time doing this, so go careful...

Both great cars though, I certainly appreciate both, the 'Grale gave me a lot of fun. I see the supra as a definite step up the peg. I would have gone for a skyline but having realised why 4wd is not the 'silver bullet', I'm very happy with the choice now lol