The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best Car Alarm?

TazUK

As I understand it, the Clifford 600 is no longer sold.

Is the Clifford C650 its replacement and how does it compare to the Intelliguard 950? Are there any other manufacturers that are good?

Also, if I were to get the Intellistart and/or Turbo Timer, does that still mean I can get a certificate stating a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm is fitted to my car?

Any help on this would be useful as I need to get a new alarm and I'm really confused.

Also, where is the best place to get it fitted (and RLTC preferably)? I'm in Winchester, so I know there's a Sexton's down the road, but I've heard good things about Matt H.

Thanks for the kind comment :)

The Concept 650 is technically the replacement for the Concept 300, and the Intelliguard 950 is the successor to the Concept 600.

However, neither units now have window closures built in as standard, (the C600 used to), but both units now have dual zone proximity sensor, and Blackjax, (which was the main reason to upgrade from the C300 to the C600).

Some companies are really anal about giving out certificates when the alarm has any additions. IMHO they're only being awkward as you have still had a Thatcham tested product fitted, and the fact that there is something else fitted that could compromise the 'tested specificatio' is a massive grey area.

With regard to what's the best alarm, that's really subjective and down to personal preference and experience. We only really do Clifford and Toad, but we have Sigma, Laserline, Selca, Micro-scan, at our disposal. In the past we've also dealt with Scorpion, Cobra and a few others.

IMHO, and it is my opinion, I prefer Toad for reliability and back-up, but Clifford wins for me due to the features and gadgets they offer.

With a Toad system, they're really easy to install/set-up with no strange quirks. Cliffords need a bit more time spent on the installation and this is what sometimes causes the end user to have problems. A bad installation can make them do all sorts of odd things which makes for a bad experience to anyone that's had an iffy one in the past.

Whilst I'm sure any Sextons branch could/should offer you good installation at competetive prices, they won't have come across RLTC before. Although I'm more than happy to share any information/technical support with another Sextons branch, so the choice is yours :)

Hope that helps a bit.

Little Hijack

Matt are you able to get the bonnet sensor seperately for the TOAD AI606? Mine is a bit moody at the moment often it won't disarm so I have to lift the bonnet and push the plunger a few times. WHen it plays up the indicators flash a few times instead of the normal twice.

Clifford is the way to go, and I would strongly suggest you take the car down to Matts to have it fitted.

Its less than a 2 hour drive from Winchester and well worth the piece of mind that the job is done right.

• 1 year later...
So whats the difference between the concept 650 and the intelliguard 950? :stupid:

According to the guy who fitted my alarm today the only difference is that with the IG 950 you get Dual Prox sensor,Tilt/motion Sensor and I think Glass Break sensor as standard.Everything else is exactly the same.

Well I've had no problems with the alarm...so far.Had it fitted today already.Dropped the car off at 9:15 this morning at a guy in Bury, Manchester that was recommended from this forum.First option was Matt Harwood,but its a long way from Liverpool to Kent.I only left at 6:30 PM tonight.I ordered the Intelliguard 950 with Intellistart.After I drop the car off I took a taxi to the Trafford Centre.Not long after the guy calls me and says he only just opened the box and there was no Intellistart in the package he ordered.I was fuming,but stayed calm as I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt.Decided to just have the alarm[Concept 650] fitted then.The airbag light is now on...:complain: ,but I know I should be able to fix it easily tomorrow.

• 4 months later...