The mkiv Supra Owners Club

uk turbos on j-spec.

afennell

Just wondering, thought they were stronger (steel) and could handle more boost.

But are heavier and less responsive. Going from fast-response J-spec turbos to slow-response UK ones would probably be rather unpleasant.

If you want more boost than the J-spec turbos can provide, fit a single that can do it properly.

In my experience the J-Spec turbos are far more reliable at 1.2 bar than the UK ones. More than 1.2 bar and both types are miles outside their efficiency range and doing more harm than good, both to themselves and the engine and its performance.

BOBBEH ....................Read em and weep ...yet again :cry: :cry: :p

Chris is fast becoming my hero !!!!! :love:

Dude :cool:

Funny, but full of irrelivant shit as usual and falsehoods.

Some people seem to think that if somethings been said enough times it makes it true... but no everyone is as guillible.

Go with whatever you want. Naturally people will soon be saying to you to go single turbo. Depends on what you're willing to pay of course.

No one in the UK can rebuild the ceramic turbos with ceramic internals, only steel. So if you want to stay with the (superb) ceramics, you need to buy new from Toyota. Steel internals have a lot more lag, and when overboosting they seem to fail earlier, no doubt due to slight imbalance on the heavier wheels having a more profound effect on bearing and thus seal life. I am saying that a new turbo in perfect balance gains an out of balance factor with age.

Bob are you OK, not cooked your self on those heated seats.:p

It has been said that UK cars were fitted with heavier agricultural steel turbo’s, because non Japanese owners have a reputation of not knowing how to look after their cars. They kept the superior ceramic turbos for the discerning j Japanese owner. Creamic technology in Japan has progressed along way since the MKIV twins were developed.

Ceramic turbos dont like crap filtration systems.

Phil, they came in very handy when I was suffering from sciatica :)

They're more 'heavy duty' as they're fitted to a car that wasnt limited to only going 112mph thats why the US, European and UK markets had them, to endure more abuse. Its so simple a concept.

I've seen the power of JDM turbos at first hand.. when they blew up in my face watching Paul E.. John was fairly quiet that day I can tell ya :read:

Phil, they came in very handy when I was suffering from sciatica :)

They're more 'heavy duty' as they're fitted to a car that wasnt limited to only going 112mph thats why the US, European and UK markets had them, to endure more abuse. Its so simple a concept.

I've seen the power of JDM turbos at first hand.. when they blew up in my face watching Paul E.. John was fairly quiet that day I can tell ya :read:

I wasnt Bobbeh as they hit me in the leg on their way out !!!!!!!!

Still 5 mins in a J-spec is worth 5 hours in a UK !!!! :rolleyes: :innocent: :tongue:

Dude :devil: