The mkiv Supra Owners Club

no warm air from heating on going problem

catfish man

well the big freeze is here and my matrix is still not working :(

ive flushed it out with the help of dude(good bloke:))

fitted a new thermosat:)

got all air locks out of engine:)

put in antifreeze :)

and still no hot air:(

the 2 pipes on matrix are hot (top and bottom)

could the temp dial be a problem/faulty?

last chance? before i find some one to re-fitt a new matrix:taped:

Why did AFR not diagnose the problem, especially after spending so much time changing items etc, I trust you paid for the work, I would have wanted it fixed or the problem found if I was getting a garage to work on it

no just AFR talked me step by step over the phone :)

had no time to get down to them due to work :(

wont be untill after xmas when i can get down to AFR :(

changed items myself in little time i have free:(

My temp dial moves the arm its supposed to in the pic attached, all the other functions work on the heater controls for changing the airflow direction but still have a luke warm heater, ive been bleeding the damn thing for over 2 hours today to get luke warm air out of it.

24042009026.jpg

Yes that's right - the panel around the radio.

Just take it off and look at the top of the heater unit. When you alter the temp setting, the arm and mechanism should move. There's always the possibility that it could have become un-clipped

There's a rod from that arm that connects through the heater unit down to the air mixing arm in the first photo. If either one is un-clipped, then the heater won't work correctly.

Yes that's right - the panel around the radio.

Just take it off and look at the top of the heater unit. When you alter the temp setting, the arm and mechanism should move. There's always the possibility that it could have become un-clipped

There's a rod from that arm that connects through the heater unit down to the air mixing arm in the first photo. If either one is un-clipped, then the heater won't work correctly.

Cheers Steve

It's a good few years since I looked at that part of the the heater, but those photos look correct.

I haven't access to my main PC at the moment to look, but somewhere in the Toyota workshop manual (downloadable on this site somewhere) it tells you the range the lever should move through.

From memory, I thinks it's something like 100° - 110° of movement.

does the heater control dial just move the air control flap things or does it also work a temp sensor? ? hmm:search:

When you turn the temp control, both of the lever arms above and below the heater unit should move - but it does of course depend on the ambient cabin temp at the time. To test the movement, turn the temp control from one extreme to the other.

I've now cured my heater problem, i popped up to see Ibrar and put his lazer heat checking gun on the pipes and right down at the bulkhead one was 25 degrees lower than the other.

Ibrar had a look at his n/a and the pipes in and out of the matrix were on the opposite way round to mine.

I took the car back to my workshop and swapped the pipes over, after 3/4's of an hour of bleeding i was about to give up as still no heat from the heater, i raised the tickover for the last time trying to coax any air out the system and then let it drop.

The level in the rad then dropped by quite a bit so i topped up the rad and checked the outlet on the matrix and its now as hot as the otherside, checked in the car and my heater is now as it was :)

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Thanks for posting your solution Dnk. :thumbs:

I haven't got round to trying any of the possible solutions discussed in this thread, but I doubt my cause is the same as yours. :(

I didnt think it could be that either as when i tried before to bleed the system i got warm air through it which i dont understand even now. Worth checking the pipes are on the right way as you never know.

That's good news. Christmas has come early for you then! :)

Well it certainly saves all the dash coming out again which i really wasnt looking forward to, the strange part is i cant see when the pipes got crossed over, the matrix was changed in 2006 and im sure it worked ok after that but to be honest i dont care now as its 100 % again :)

Thanks for the help guys, merry xmas

I didnt think it could be that either as when i tried before to bleed the system i got warm air through it which i dont understand even now. Worth checking the pipes are on the right way as you never know.

If you happen to be around your engine bay with a camera in your hand over the next few days, could you take a photo of the offending area please so I can check that mine are on the correct way? :)

Or I could take a photo of mine and post it up here.