The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing Stock BOV altogether ??

j1mb0b1

The BOV chatters when its vented to atmosphere and not recirculated back to the inlet. Just pull the pipe off the outlet of the BOV and plug it where it goes into the inlet.

Removing the BOV altogether can damage the turbos!

Removing the BOV altogether can damage the turbos!

Thats not what i wanted to hear :(, Not a good idea then ? is the damage due to long term use of no BOV, I would only remove it to make a nice little vid then pop it back on ?

I have just tryed this but to no avail, It was chattering very quitely at low revs when lifting off, but under full boost was just dumping like a normal Dump valve any ideas ?

Chris Wilson reckons that the dump valve is just there for noise supression. The back surge onto the turbo's is what is said to damage them, i don't see an issue at the boost levels we run on stock tubby's.

I'm going to remove my dump valve altogether also.

As mentioned above CW has frequently stated that the BOV is only their for noise reduction. I ran mine without one for a while, didn't get any damage but also didn't seem to get any 'chatter' either! Might have been because of the stock airbox suppressing the noise though.

As mentioned above CW has frequently stated that the BOV is only their for noise reduction. I ran mine without one for a while, didn't get any damage but also didn't seem to get any 'chatter' either! Might have been because of the stock airbox suppressing the noise though.

Did you notice any difference on the arse dyno?

any photos of this then?

It's not exactly difficult ;) Just remove the stock BOV and block up the 3 holes. Job done :)

Did you notice any difference on the arse dyno?

Absolutely none at all. No difference on gear changes under boost either

Absolutely none at all.

Thats quite promising then, it was always said that removing the BOV would cause the compressor to stall slightly adding to the lag.

Saying that, if there is no benefit then whats the point lol. I think i'll still have a play to see if the ARC induction kit makes a difference.

Cheers

Well thats good news :) I want to get the chatter I love that sound so much :), but just dont seem to be working lol :(.

Well thats good news :) I want to get the chatter I love that sound so much :), but just dont seem to be working lol :(.

Just before you go getting too excited, it will be nothing like the chatter you get on a single. I heard it once on a UK spec TT with no BOV and an aftermarket filter and although it did give a little bit of chatter, but it was very quiet and most of the time didn't make any noise at all.

Used to take the BOV's off of 200sx's all the time - never caused any damage to any of them, most running a bar'o'boost.

Can't see why the supra would be wildly different or any more fragile :search: (unless your running silly boost)

Might give it a whirl on mine as i get some flutter with it in place due to my intake, so it might be quite entertaining!! :D

I have not run a blow off valve, recirculating, or vented to atmosphere, on a high performance turbo engine for years. IMSA GTP turbo cars, Le Mans prototype turbo cars, F1 turbo cars, the new 450 bhp F2 Mazda engined turbo cars, the AER 4 cylinder 600 BHP 2 litre turbo engine, blah blah, (engines ancient and ultra modern), none of these run a blow off valve. They were instigated by Saab on the 99 Turbo engine, and made by Bosch, as a means of STOPPING turbo noise, which was deemed inappropriate for owners of cars who didn't know what a turbo engine may, or should, sound like, and inappropriate for a refined car without real sports car pretensions. Urban myth has given them magical qualities, mainly of reduced lag, and that running without one will kill the turbo. Turbo Dynamics, Turbo Technics, BBR and others all agree, not to mention that I feel it safe to say that if these myths had foundation F1, IMSA, Porsche and AER would have put a tuppeny bit, and lightweight valve on their engines!

I have not run a blow off valve, recirculating, or vented to atmosphere, on a high performance turbo engine for years. IMSA GTP turbo cars, Le Mans prototype turbo cars, F1 turbo cars, the new 450 bhp F2 Mazda engined turbo cars, the AER 4 cylinder 600 BHP 2 litre turbo engine, blah blah, (engines ancient and ultra modern), none of these run a blow off valve. They were instigated by Saab on the 99 Turbo engine, and made by Bosch, as a means of STOPPING turbo noise, which was deemed inappropriate for owners of cars who didn't know what a turbo engine may, or should, sound like, and inappropriate for a refined car without real sports car pretensions. Urban myth has given them magical qualities, mainly of reduced lag, and that running without one will kill the turbo. Turbo Dynamics, Turbo Technics, BBR and others all agree, not to mention that I feel it safe to say that if these myths had foundation F1, IMSA, Porsche and AER would have put a tuppeny bit, and lightweight valve on

their engines!

As said above is there any gain not runnng one ?

My Godddddd! Wiki disagrees, I take it all back.... ;) Send the link to all the main turbo race engine builders, they can't have seen this, they've been doing it all wrong for years :)

I have never heard of compressor failure directly linked to lack of a BOV, but this seems so entrenched in stone I will just keep counsel with the mottley crew at AER and Porsche et al, and carry on regardless, surrounded by all these dead turbos we can't seem to find ;)

BOV's aren't totally useless there is a possibility it can prevent a build up of pressure on the back of the turbine in high boost applications if the conditions were very cold and the ambient pressure was holding well. Thing is only place i can find where it would possibly be of benefit is agata, siberia :D

BOVs generally are just to let people know you are there :sly:

You know wikipedia rules! :D

I have just one last question before I go outside and remove my BOV though - you mention that high performance F1 and F2 cars etc don't have a BOV but could this be because the engines are likely to blow up for some other reason, or are simply rebuilt frequently enough anyway, that the lack of a BOV doesn't have time to cause a problem?

Now I just need to get my BOV sold on the forum before everyone starts removing them and second hand BOVs become worthless! :)