The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Road tax prices??

SilverSoop

Hi all, i actually wanted to bring this up on the forum for a while.

My road tax is currently £165 for 6 months because its a 98' vvti TT model and its carbon emissions have been printed on the V5 document; 303g/km of carbon emissions. For 1 year, it was something in the region of £300!! :blink:

Earlier models i.e, 94' supras because my other one was £99 for 6 months and £180 for a year.

I phoned up the dvla about this and i spoke to a woman who also felt this was wrong, she thought the prices go up after a Y reg and mine is an R reg...

So she spoke to her manager, and her manager said because "its an import and produces very high carbon emissions the road tax is infact correct"

what a bloody rip off i thought!

For the mkiv supra owners who have got late models too, whats your road tax prices because i still dont think mine is correct! :thumbdown:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, i actually wanted to bring this up on the forum for a while.

My road tax is currently £165 for 6 months because its a 98' vvti TT model and its carbon emissions have been printed on the V5 document; 303g/km of carbon emissions. For 1 year, it was something in the region of £300!! :blink:

Earlier models i.e, 94' supras because my other one was £99 for 6 months and £180 for a year.

I phoned up the dvla about this and i spoke to a woman who also felt this was wrong, she thought the prices go up after a Y reg and mine is an R reg...

So she spoke to her manager, and her manager said because "its an import and produces very high carbon emissions the road tax is infact correct"

what a bloody rip off i thought!

For the mkiv supra owners who have got late models too, whats your road tax prices because i still dont think mine is correct! :thumbdown:

The manager was just lazy. There is something very wrong there. Its only cars registered after a certain date, i think it might even be as late as 2005.

When was your car registered in the UK? It will be right if it was registered after the new law was brought in.

Scott =op

I thought your road tax could not be calculated on carbon emissions unless it was made in 2001 onwards so there does seem to be a mistake here.

Yeh i thats what i and the woman at the dvla thought but the manager said because it was a late import of very high emissions, its correct but i dont think so. I know for a fact there is an owner on here who has an S reg supra. If your reading this, whats your road tax price??

The reason im asking is because i can then phone up the dvla and say theres a later model than mine paying less, why's that then....

The manager was just lazy. There is something very wrong there. Its only cars registered after a certain date, i think it might even be as late as 2005.

When was your car registered in the UK? It will be right if it was registered after the new law was brought in.

Scott =op

It was registered as its says on my V5 in front of me, declared manufactured 1998.

It also says date of first reg; 01/07/1998

Date of first reg in the UK; 09/07/2007.

Does this make a difference or is my road tax incorrect??

Edit (correction)

It's "Cars registered in the UK on or after 23rd March 2006"

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/forms/v149.pdf

Yep mines registered in July 07 so that would make it correct then...

When was your supe registered then ivan and what band is yours ivan????

Edit: Also my supe is a band P and it wasnt on that document there ivan i think it only went to a band G.

Older supes were i think a band J....

My road tax is currently £165 for 6 months because its a 98' vvti TT model and its carbon emissions have been printed on the V5 document; 303g/km of carbon emissions.

For 1 year, it was something in the region of £300!!

If this figure is correct (higher than a Ranger Rover Sport) then you're probably lucky it's not more because yesterday Budget means you could soon be paying more like £450ish a year.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=72203&d=1205337502

It was registered as its says on my V5 in front of me, declared manufactured 1998.

It also says date of first reg; 01/07/1998

Date of first reg in the UK; 09/07/2007.

Does this make a difference or is my road tax incorrect??

Sorry to say, your screwed!

I wonder if this will hit the importers. I know i won't buy a fresh import now :(

Scott =op

Sorry to say, your screwed!

I wonder if this will hit the importers. I know i won't buy a fresh import now :(

Scott =op

Well if this is true, dont buy a late, late model because you will be hit by expensive road tax prices!

I wonder what an owner of a late R33/R34 GTR skyline owner pays...

Well if this is true, dont buy a late, late model because you will be hit by expensive road tax prices!

I wonder what an owner of a late R33/R34 GTR skyline owner pays...

Doesn't matter if its a 98 or a 93, you would still have been hit with the same charge. As already said, its when the car was registered in the UK not when the car was built.

Scott =op

Doesn't matter if its a 98 or a 93, you would still have been hit with the same charge. As already said, its when the car was registered in the UK not when the car was built.

Scott =op

Yeh there is that but when i had my n/a i *think* it was registered in the uk in july 06 and my road tax for 6 months was £99 not £165 as it is now...

For my Tiger it was registered for the emissions bit based on the age of the engine. I had documented proof from Ford it was put into a 1988 build, therefore I didn't need cats and it was the old style of taxing.

The emissions are measured at a certain RPM (can't remember what now) so you need to have some kind of fuelling computer and multiple cats at the time of ESVA testing to make it a bit more friendly at test time. :innocent:

It's harsh that new imports are measured at the higher tax rates though.

For my Tiger it was registered for the emissions bit based on the age of the engine. I had documented proof from Ford it was put into a 1988 build, therefore I didn't need cats and it was the old style of taxing.

The emissions are measured at a certain RPM (can't remember what now) so you need to have some kind of fuelling computer and multiple cats at the time of ESVA testing to make it a bit more friendly at test time. :innocent:

It's harsh that new imports are measured at the higher tax rates though.

Yeh its just my luck!! :(