The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Am I the only one here that doesn't like Top gear?

Carl_S

Top Gear rocks! Ok it's all scripted and the challenges are all rigged and planned but it's great entertainment.

Well if you think its fun, theres nothing I can say.

But you don't see it as a factual program, like when they do car comparisions? Would it surprise you to know that Clarkson allegedly rigs the test outcomes if he dont like the results, or he changes them to be more dramatic? Not that I'm saying he does, but it's what I heard somewhere.

used to like it way back from the William Wollard, Chris Goffey days, through to the 90s, with Tiff Needell.

They used to do great topics in it, car museums, visiting Nick Mason and his cars, and other things the public don't see. Used to be my favourite program on TV up until the current three.

Oh, and The Stig, is tired and dated now, time to rethink that.

Clarkson really should do his serious documentaries, he is great at them, Both Brunel and the Cockleshell Heroes.

Even Fifth Gear is going the same way with the James May clone.

Shame really they can't take it back to more of the Classic TG and do interesting features again.

Well if you think its fun, theres nothing I can say.

But you don't see it as a factual program, like when they do car comparisions? Would it surprise you to know that Clarkson allegedly rigs the test outcomes if he dont like the results, or he changes them to be more dramatic? Not that I'm saying he does, but it's what I heard somewhere.

Nope. Doesn't surprise me at all. It's not a factual program any more like it used to be. It's just pure entertainment. If you look at it like that it is a very entertaining show.

The main problem i have with TG, is the 'people in positions of power' will see it, i.e. Magistrates.

They will see three guys driving like total twats for the most part on the public roads in high performance cars.

I know people should be able to make their own minds up and not go with what they see on tv, but i can't imagine many magistrates having a performance car, let alone being in one.

So, if one of us is driving safely on the road, but maybe a few miles over the limit (it happens), they will think 'fast car=boy racer' so hit him with big penalties. Yet, someone driving a saloon or small car over the limit may be treated more leniently.

It's all down to perception, and TG does no favours to people owning performance cars.

TG could still have the lighter/fun segment, but i would like to see more of the old stuff, like museums, collections and then people see the show as an all-round good show.

maybe add to the Poll "wish i could have TG more serious at times, show fast cars in good way, then i would not have got done", not me btw. lol

ja ne

Ian

I think its great!!You still get a healthy amount of facts on cars they are up to date on the latest cars. The Tasks are a bit of fun for the presenters and a bit of family entertainment!!

I think clarkson is so funny the only one i dont like is May because he bores me but he's quite witty at times!!

All in all a very good show that appeals to all the family notjust us petrol heads!!

Ben.

It is an entertainment program, not a factual one anymore. I watched some old Top Gear's a while ago, and they were boring :yawn:, telling you the cubic inches of a boot on a car you couldn't care about. It's changed for the better although some bits do drag on a bit.

I like the trips round Europe in the three supercars etc, very good :)

I watch it simply because I'm interested in the cars that they review. However, there's lots to dislike about it. Celebrity back-slapping in the interminable, boring 'star in a reasonably priced car'. Pointless races that predictably always go right to the wire. Clarkson's tunnel vision, political agenda and xenophobia dressed up as knockabout humour.

Tiff Needell isn't the world's most dynamic presenter, but at least he can look at a car without his mind already made up and he doesn't seem to need to stamp is ego all over a programme.

used to like it way back from the William Wollard, Chris Goffey days, through to the 90s, with Tiff Needell.

They used to do great topics in it, car museums, visiting Nick Mason and his cars, and other things the public don't see. Used to be my favourite program on TV up until the current three.

Oh, and The Stig, is tired and dated now, time to rethink that.

Clarkson really should do his serious documentaries, he is great at them, Both Brunel and the Cockleshell Heroes.

Even Fifth Gear is going the same way with the James May clone.

Shame really they can't take it back to more of the Classic TG and do interesting features again.

Yeah the format is dated but you can't please everyone all the time. I think they should be applauded for entertaining more people than every before. But they need to rethink things I think a bit. I have some ideas, but I think they will keep going with the current format becuase its so popular, but for me its already dated. the old TG, had more of a timeless quality to it.

What about "It used to be good but now it annoys me in a huge way"

Damn I thought I posted that option, I was certainly thinking about it.

The main problem i have with TG, is the 'people in positions of power' will see it, i.e. Magistrates.

They will see three guys driving like total twats for the most part on the public roads in high performance cars.

I know people should be able to make their own minds up and not go with what they see on tv, but i can't imagine many magistrates having a performance car, let alone being in one.

So, if one of us is driving safely on the road, but maybe a few miles over the limit (it happens), they will think 'fast car=boy racer' so hit him with big penalties. Yet, someone driving a saloon or small car over the limit may be treated more leniently.

It's all down to perception, and TG does no favours to people owning performance cars.

TG could still have the lighter/fun segment, but i would like to see more of the old stuff, like museums, collections and then people see the show as an all-round good show.

maybe add to the Poll "wish i could have TG more serious at times, show fast cars in good way, then i would not have got done", not me btw. lol

ja ne

Ian

Its a good point, but I'm not sure how maybe law enforcers watch that and make jugments against boy racers... But facinating point, maybe you're right: the very program that petrolheads love, is making us get harder speeding fines/ more tickets/ more speed camera. Who knows?

I watch it simply because I'm interested in the cars that they review. However, there's lots to dislike about it. Celebrity back-slapping in the interminable, boring 'star in a reasonably priced car'. Pointless races that predictably always go right to the wire. Clarkson's tunnel vision, political agenda and xenophobia dressed up as knockabout humour.

Tiff Needell isn't the world's most dynamic presenter, but at least he can look at a car without his mind already made up and he doesn't seem to need to stamp is ego all over a programme.

Totally agree. If I flick channels and see its on and there is a car I like on it, I'd watch it too. Eg Supra :-)

I like it and watch it with the kids every week.

Only thing bothering me lately is the way Hammond looks. With his daft cloths and dafter hair. Must have been that near death experience (thank god he lived) or summat. :blink:

Yeah, whats up with that style? I get the feeling that little hammy, is a bit like me. Eccentric. But likeable. I hope he wanted to return to TG after the accident, and was not pushed into it.