The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sky insurance on a TT for the under 30's

Guigsy

Appologies if this has been covered before but i guess it hasnt.

I am considering buying grahamc's TT. So i called sky (my current insurer) for a quote. Gave them the full specs. They came back to me later on in the day via email... Just as a side note im 24... the insurance on my NA is £1290

I have spoken to your underwriters regarding the change to the Toyota Supra. Unfortunately, they are unable to cover anyone under 30 on twin turbos at the moment. I have also looked at the rest of the market and am finding the same wherever I go.

Our office underwriter is currently negotiating a scheme for people of your age driving the twin turbos, but it still has to be agreed. He thinks we may be able to offer you a price by your renewal date.

I hope this make sense, however, if you do need further clarification, please contact me.

So i replied to try and get a few questions answered...

Interesting.

I called a few weeks ago for information on a twin turbo + 6speed conversaion and was given a a rough ballpark quote within minuites.

I also know several people my age and under 30 insured on TT's. Im not sure if they are through sky but i would assume a few of them are as sky are the club insurer.

Is it the same even if the TT is a non modified version?

If so why can i get insured on a twin turbo conversion (for only a couple of hundred quid more than my current policy) and not a car that was origonaly a twin turbo?

It all seems very inconsistant.

I understand that insurance is a very personal thing. but i dont follow how some people are insured with sky the same age as myself or younger on an imported TT for less than my imported NA with less horsepower. It makes no sense what so ever.

i hope i dont come accross as taking it out on yourself. but insurance is one of those things that drives me up the wall.

I would be gratefull if you could answer my questions for me.

Then this afternoon i had this response back.

I have just spoken at length to the underwriter regarding you enquiries. Below is the information he has given me.

Basically your insurers have got terrible claims being reported to them (I.e. high cost and frequent claims) for drivers under 30 on the twin turbo models over the past year or so. It has become such that they have taken the decision to decline insurance proposals for this type of risk with effect from the beginning of October. This explains why some people you know may have insurance on their twin turbos, even with ourselves, as their policies would have started prior to October. This would also explain why a couple of weeks ago you were advised it should be possible to insure you on the proposed car and now we are unable to.

Where as your insurers are by no means the only people we deal with to insure this type of vehicle, we have spoken to the other insurers we use who informed us they would not be willing to insure you, again, due to your age, the vehicle and the modifications.

As you have said in your email, insurance is a personal thing (but insurers use statistics from all their policies fitting similar details) and can sometimes be baffling as to why insurers will accept some risks and not others. As an intermediary, all we can do is offer our best price if one is available and explain why we cannot insure people if unable to quote.

I hope this goes some way to answer your questions and, as mentioned in my previous email, we are currently trying to close a scheme that would be beneficial for you, this is, however, at an early stage and should be available early in the new year.

I have also inquired at A-Plan and they have told me almost the same thing.

And they have said that if you are under 30 currently and are insured with them. You WILL get a renewal. but in the words of the guy i spoke to (i think his name was lee) if you make a claim... your "stuffed".

That might be something people might want to check. That seems a bit harsh to me.

However they (a-plan) did have one insurer that would insure me if my car was garaged and not parked on the road. However i live on a road of terraced houses. There are no garrages close i could use as i live very close to the town center. and even if there was i imagine the waiting list is massive. So they are currently trying to work something out for me but havent got back to me yet.

I just thought it might be interesting for you to know this if you are currently NA and thinking of going TT or buying a TT.

Its a pain in the arse.

I have also inquired at A-Plan and they have told me almost the same thing.

And they have said that if you are under 30 currently and are insured with them. You WILL get a renewal. but in the words of the guy i spoke to (i think his name was lee) if you make a claim... your "stuffed".

This paragragh concerned me, I had better not be "stuffed" if I have an accident... cheeky F*&^ERS!!!

Thats pathetic...

Yeah, I was also looking at buying grahamc's supra and did exactly the same as you. I am currently insured with sky and drive a mkiii supra turbo which has mod's to it and have been insured with them no problems for the past 18months. I a quote in august for a jap twin turbo 6 speed with bpu and told no problem would add a 235 to my current policy for rest of the year. Excellent I thought, so I started looking around for suitable cars. I thought I'd check on the insurance before I went to look at grahams and they tell me exactly the same as you. No can't insure you on that. So I find a different supra I'm interested in, sorry can't insure youon that either, with your age (21) and the sort of vehicle the underwriters won't insure you. They have recently changed their criteria and therefore are now unable to provide insurance on such a vehicle to someone in your situation. So I thought I'm screwed, sky were pretty much the only company that would consider it for a reasonable price before they changed the criteria, I've no chance now. However I phoned adrian flux and they were more than happy to provide me with a half decent quote with all mods declared. So looks like I could be changing insurance companies shortly.

id call them to find out but aplan said they will be honoring renewals. but i dont know about accients i didnt go into that very much.

admiral will insure me on a tt for the same price as a n/a. im gnna get insured with herts when i do my n/a-tt. and im younger than you are

Do they cover like for like on mods? i dont want all the mods listed to find out there not going to cover them like for like.

Looks like ill try admiral and aidrian flux then

id call them to find out but aplan said they will be honoring renewals. but i dont know about accients i didnt go into that very much.

Do they cover like for like on mods? i dont want all the mods listed to find out there not going to cover them like for like.

Looks like ill try admiral and aidrian flux then

admiral don't normally do liek for like cover

I am with Sky (Age 27 coming up 4 years NCB). I can't remember my quote for last year but it was about £1135 IIRC.

I got home to see my renewal on the floor, I thought ooh time to see what it will be last year. When I opened it I was very dissappointed. They want £1001 and that isn't including agreed value (which my previous year did).

The best bit is the bloke on the phone last year said my premium will be loaded because of no previous experience with a RWD car of this sort. So next year I will see quite a significant drop in premium.

I was expecting around maybe £800 this time. So I will be getting some quotes elsewhere first and if they don't match/better them I will be off I think.

I had exactly the same issue with my previous insure when i wanted to purchase an imported N/A GTO.. they couldnt insure me,, However Adrian Flux said they could .. they quoted me £2500 then went on to tell me if I could find a uk spec GTO TT then my insurance would be £900ish....... it just dont make sense,,,,, they were willing to insure me for less money on a car im more likely to kill myself in? WTF is that all about lol

Thank so and so im already with them. would be gutted if i had done all i had and then couldnt drive it :rlol:

TBH though - it was predictable. With the reduction in prices and most cars being BPU. Its a reciept for disaster!

They are fast cars, they are rear wheel drive and prats can afford them.

This paragragh concerned me, I had better not be "stuffed" if I have an accident... cheeky F*&^ERS!!!

Thats pathetic...

I think they will mean that you won't be able to get insured again afterwards, as having an accident that writes the car off effectively ends your insurance so you have to take it out again. They can't refuse to pay if they have accepted you.

The majority of members are over 30 btw IIRC from the polls that seem to pop up every now and then. And of course it's not Sky refusing cover, it's the underwriters - they don't know or care if you're a member of anything!

Seems very odd to me. Why be a club insurer if you won't insure the club members :blink:

They insure me and im 22 on a single - they are not all bad :)

You have to remember, business is business.

They are still good for club members but there are always going to bracket that certain compaines are not good at. e.g 17 - 25 on TT's :)