The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Renault Megane Sport: Bit quick off the mark ain't they?

RedM

I had one of these on my arse this evening. We were both stuck behind a 40mph rolling road block.

I was in 2nd and when a chance to pass appeared I went for it. Straight up through the revs, plenty of traction, loads of grunt etc but, damn, the Megane came with me, easily matching my acceleration.

I finished the pass and, when I looked behind, there was the sodding Megane at exactly the same distance but it then started to fall away as my speed kept increasing.

Now, I've heard some good reports about these cars and I reckon one of these would make a great daily driver. Definitely quicker off the mark (no lag), all the weight on the front, small and nimble.

I'm wondering if these current hot hatches are becoming a match for a standard TT (at least in urban, B and some A road situations) due to weighing less and not relying on tubbies for their power.

Thoughts?

What boost to you run at? If you're stuggling for low end grunt how about the pre-spool mod - it'll greatly improve the low end power at a small cost to smoothness during the transition point.

Keep in mind that the auto is high geared, it's simply not designed to be a instand power machine, it's a cruiser. In this area the manuals perform better as the gear ratios are much closer together.

A guy at work owns one of these megans, from what he says it sounds rather quick at lower speed.

What boost to you run at? If you're stuggling for low end grunt how about the pre-spool mod

Stock boost as I have a stock Supra.

I've not heard of this pre-spool mod.

Explain-me-do...

A guy at work owns one of these megans, from what he says it sounds rather quick at lower speed.

I'd believe him.

not relying on tubbies for their power.

Thoughts?

The Megane sport 225s and above are turbocharged.

If it was that particular version it has more power than an Na and weighs a fair bit less!

You probably dont want to hear it but BPU sees them off with ease (although when i went against one it wasnt til i got into 3rd!)

The Megane sport 225s and above are turbocharged.

If it was that particular version it has more power than an Na and weighs a fair bit less!

You probably dont want to hear it but BPU sees them off with ease (although when i went against one it wasnt til i got into 3rd!)

I'm guessing it's a little turbo though which would explain how quickly it picks up.

Once I'd changed from 2nd up to 3rd I did start to pull away and if it wasn't for the R32 Golf that was blocking my progress I would have left it clean.

I just can't shake that feeling that these hatchbacks are better at short point and squirt driving as opposed to our Supras which need to be able to exert their brute force.

The pre spool mod basically removes the pre-spool for the 2nd turbo by changing some of the vac pipe routing. Instead of some exhaust gas being redirected to pre-spool the 2nd turbo, all gases are sent to the 1st turbo, thus creating higher power/boost from it. However, as your car is stock I wouldn't bother. There are far more effective ways to increase performance.

I just can't shake that feeling that these hatchbacks are better at short point and squirt driving as opposed to our Supras which need to be able to exert their brute force.

I agree, modern 'high output' 4 cyl engines, especially those with little turbo's are always going to be very quick at low speeds. The 0-60 times on most of these modern hot hatches are not far off the figures supercars used to get 20 years ago.

I'm not sure on the point of the thread though - is it just to mention that the Megan was quick (no problem with this, I might add!), or is it a question of how to improve the performance/drivabilty of your car?

The obvious route if you want to get a great deal more fro your supra is to modidy (bpu, or even single decat). It makes a dramatic difference to the way the car performs, in my opinion the nicest aspect of removing some exhaust restriction is the increase in throttle response.

The obvious route if you want to get a great deal more fro your supra is to modidy (bpu, or even single decat). It makes a dramatic difference to the way the car performs, in my opinion the nicest aspect of removing some exhaust restriction is the increase in throttle response.

While I'd love to go BPU I have concerns that the old girl is just hanging in there and such mods would only hasten her demise.:(

My N/A could keep up with a megane 225?!?

I raced a few. I doesnt take much to mod a turbo'd car for extra BHP.

The fastest car I have ever seen is a new subura WRX... that shot past me like a catipult when I had my foot flat to the floor at 120MPH... blatently wasnt standard even though it looked it!!!

As Homer said, the autoTT is very highly geared.

Add to this the weight (easily over 1.5tonne) and you've got a behemoth that is easy prey for small, short-geared cars at low speeds.

Remember the Persian army was held up by 300 (give or take 1000) Greek soldiers.

You are the Persian army.

Be smart: Don't play their game (low speeds, nimbleness etc).

Force them to play *your* game (floor it at 120 and see who wins, he he...)

In my freinds rover coupe tubby, one of these kept neck and neck (but then both are 2litre turbo's I spose) but I outpaced one pretty quickly from a start down a dual carriage way in my tt.. I'd imagine they'd be sharp from a rolling start, it'd be interesting to know in gear times

Absolutely, it's why I have so much fun jumping into the ZR sometimes. :eyebrows:

Different breeds.

The Megane doesn't look so great on paper though:

Performance

0-62mph (0-100kph) 6.5

Maximum Speed - mph (kph) 147 (236)

Weights

Kerb Weight (Excluding Driver) (kg) 1345

I wouldn't say it was light.

...Kerb Weight (Excluding Driver) (kg) 1345

I wouldn't say it was light.

My TT is a bit over 1600kg with a full tank.

That difference is like having three full-sized passengers.;)

As for the top speed, it maxxes out way before my 155 limiter kicks in, and it does pull hard even beyond the limiter.

At low speeds the supra's advantages are watered down, the hot hatches have a more level playing field (well not level, it just suits them better)

It is beyond a ton that the TT starts showing it's teeth

Yeah, bit like comparing a Viper to an Elise

If the road is an unlimited highway, the Elise stands no chance.

But if the road is a tight track, the Viper is shafted.

Horses for courses

I agree, i had a 'race' off the lights with a integra type r (i was behind him), up till about 50 there was nothing in it (he got a better start), then when my second tubbie came online i had to tap the brakes as i nearly went through him :), nice lad though, stopped for a chat and everything and was very impressed with the supe, the intergra was very nippy