The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Poll: FTO or RX7 ?

Gerry

Thought I would do our own poll & even things up a bit :)

(See http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=116655 )

FTO or RX 7

For me there's no comparison really, FTO is a nice sweet car that looks pretty but a bit of a "hairdressers” car.

RX7 looks the biz (and does the biz) ... :D

What do ya think… ?

PS... This is obviously assuming that you have had some kind of mental problem and havn't got the Supra anymore...:blink:

Message from 'DeuceCoupe' (Hotrodder at work):

"Can I just say with all due respect, that the FTO is a very respectable car with good performance, but at the end of the day it is wrong wheel drive, and is only a 4 pot. The RX7 is one of the most beautiful sports cars ever designed, and the rotary engine has been a proven winner at Daytona (albeit in the earlier RX?). The MKIV Supra is one of the most underrated cars ever produced."

The FTO club were at Pod a few years back and were expecting great things, I seem to remember the NIVECs doing a low 17 and the MIVECs doing a low 16. Went off them after that.

JB

:blink: What does a mondeo do a quarter in?

RX7 obivously looks better and i take it from that information is a faster car.

Is there a choice?

as mentioned on the other thread...

just sold my wifes FTO after owning it for 3 years. Quite possibly the worst car i have ever driven.

she had a manual (not tiptronic), the gear box was awful, the accelerator far too sensitive.

As for the engine admittedly she only had the 2.0L v6 GR version (not mivec) but there was absolutely no power and had to rev the nuts off it just to get anywhere. It sounded like it was going to explode past 5,000 revs and all this from a car that had only (supposedly) done 40,000 miles.

The bodywork is extremely tinny, when you shut the boot it felt like it would brake.

It handled pretty well up to 50mph but anything over that was scary.

The GR model is basically a complete and utter let down to drive for me.

I was going to say i'd like to drive a Mivec for comparison but seeing that they only get 16s down a drag strip i no longer want to.

If its purely down to looks and NOT performance which is what i beleive the FTO website was comparing the RX with the supra then i don't think theres much in it.

I always thought the FTO looks like it should perform like a RX but dissappointed that it doesn't come close.

you could say the RX7 and the Supra are in the same League,but an FTO :wakeup:....i regard them as Mitsubishies answer to the Ford Puma or the Vauxhall Tigra!!same league as them.

I totally agree with what you are saying but to be fair the FTO thread is not about the performance of a RX7 vs Supra (course we all know who would win that one ;))

it was... "Better Looking??? Supra Or RX7"

so far its...

SUPRA 44%

RX7 55%

not sure where the other 1% is but hey ?

I totally agree with what you are saying but to be fair the FTO thread is not about the performance of a RX7 vs Supra (course we all know who would win that one ;))

it was... "Better Looking??? Supra Or RX7"

so far its...

SUPRA 44%

RX7 55%

not sure where the other 1% is but hey ?

You’re right, I was full of indignation and didn’t read the thread title correctly !

Saying that… the Rex still wins on looks every time…

:)

Guest shadowake

If it was on looks im affraid I'd have to go for the FTO "goes off to hang head in shame" but if your talking about power, performace and handling the RX7 wins every time hands down :D

for looks alone I'd go:

Supra > RX7 > FTO

for performance, well that depends - stock I'd still go:

Supra > RX7 > FTO but the supra TT and RX will be much closer, in a different league to the FTO

For handling around the tight bits I'd go:

RX7 > Supra > FTO

to be fair