The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suggestions for releasing brake pad pins?

Ark

Argh! This happened to mine two weeks ago.

It's very difficult to knock them out in situ, removing the calliper is your best bet and using a mallet and something flat to gently knock them out, whilst being careful not to flatten the end of the pin or your buggered. You may be able to do it without taking the brake line off if you're lucky.

ChrisW ended up removing one front caliper and drilling the pin out. :( Lucky he had spares. He says it's a common problem if they've not been out in a while.

i removed mine last week, absolute fooker of a job!!

No easy way if they are binded in, and you will mushroom the end off whilst you are tryin to knock them out ;) its impossible not to when they are that tight.

I ended up using the grinder to chop the middle section of the pins out, leaving about 20mm sticking out the inside face of the caliper, soaking them in penetrating release, then clamped the pin v.tight using mole grips, then smacking the mole grips with a copperbopper to move the pins. It was either that of i wouldve ended up drilling them out.

you defo need the caliper off, and the bolts holding them on arent too friendly either;)

Calliper's now off, (brake fluid happily dripping onto the road) and it's on my work bench...I've already snapped one drill bit in there! FFS!!!!!!

Thankfully I anticipated damaging the pins so I've got replacements already. Fat lot of good that does me I can't get the old feckers out of the hole...

I have got one idea - I know someone with a bench drill. Maybe he can show them who's the boss.

Oxy acetylene & liquid nitrogen??? :)

Giving them a dose of liquid wrench (WD40, Plusgas... whatever your favourite is) daily for a week before the time comes to attempt to remove them may help.

Combine this with heating & cooling (blow torch or oxy) may just break the seal between the dissimilar corrosion.

Or maybe someone can come up with a drilling jig we can all use?? ;)

I've got pin punches, that not the problem ;)

It's so typical - the first calliper was a pig to do, but even though I mushroomed out the pin heads, they shifted so I was able to beat them back and forth with the hammer, and file off the lip I created.

Then I moved to the second one...nothing. No movement at all. Once I'd sawn the pins in half and got the head end out, I stuck one of the old pins from the first calliper in the hole and beat on it with all my might, and all that did was bend both pins!!!

As a matter of interest I checked back into my old receipts for the car - the pads were last changed in April 2005, so they've stuck fast in less than two years.

Still, if I do more track days, I can burn off pads faster, and change them more frequently, so less chance of binding next time!!! :rlol:

• 2 weeks later...

For the benefit of anyone who cares, I eventually sorted this with a big pillar drill- just cut the damned things straight out.

If you even start thinking about drilling these by hand, shoot yourself now, it'll be a mercy.

I also had the pleasure of this job a month ago.

I did the same thing, chopped the pins in half in situ with a small grinder thinking it would relieve the pressure and make the pins easier to thump out.

The only additional help I can offer is that when you have the calliper off you can drill the pins out carefully. I managed it without a bench drill, just carefully select a bit size the same size as the pin hole in the calliper, grind off the end of the pin (if you haven't already flattened it) and drill a hole into the (now) flat section where the pin is flush with the calliper surface. You will only need to take off a small amount as it is the mushed up end of the pin that stops the oin shifting in the hole.

I managed to get mine out this way and also didn't damage the calliper.

• 6 months later...