The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A dyno in your pocket

cheekymonkey

How on Earth is the accelerometer meant to calculate your speed?

Well if you think about it, from a standing start, if you were to accelerate at 1m/s^2 then after a second you'd be doing 1 m/s, quite easy really.

I've had a play with it and it's looking quite clever so far. Needs polishing but not bad for the price.

Has anyone tried this Dynolicious app for the iPod touch/iPhone http://dynolicious.com/index.html? Apparently it works out 0-60 times, horsepower at the wheels, 1/4 mile times, g forces etc just using the accelerometer in the iPod!

Seems to have got pretty good reviews and has out performed some reasonably expensive kit. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0-DFbJQbeSY. Looks like someone tested it in an A3 http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=E-oEbSLpXnQ - results http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?cmd ... id=3960373. Obviuosly find a race track somewhere

Apparently all you need to know is the weight of your car

Well if you think about it, from a standing start, if you were to accelerate at 1m/s^2 then after a second you'd be doing 1 m/s, quite easy really.

I've had a play with it and it's looking quite clever so far. Needs polishing but not bad for the price.

Yeah, when I stopped to think about it it's fairly simple maths.

Video review here - http://videos.streetfire.net/video/iPhone-Dynolicious-video_174587.htm

Sorry, I guess I phrased that badly.

What I meant was, everyone used to slag off the results from dedicated (albeit cheap) performance meters, saying how inaccurate they are.

It's for precisely that reason that I've never even bothered to get mine out of the box. Why bother if the results are meaningless?

Now along comes an add-on piece of software for a phone and everyone seems to be bigging it up. :rolleyes:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Dynolicious-for-iPhone-Measures-Your-Car-039-s-Performance-91207.shtml

Performance Measurements include:

- 0-60 MPH

- Other Speed Tests (0-10 MPH through 0-100 MPH in 10MPH increments)

- Quarter Mile Elapsed Time

- Quarter Mile Trap Speed

- Elapsed Time and Trap Speed for standard intervals (60', 330', 1/8 Mi, 1000')

- Lateral G's (current and peak)

- Braking G's (current and peak)

- Wheel Horsepower

- Estimated Engine Horsepower

Good chance it will be crap but worth a download and see i reckon .

So... what are the official weights of the stock supra models? I know there are likely to be weight savings here, bling MDF ICE weight++ stuff there, fuel, fat/thin drivers, extra weight for single installs(?), aftermarket wheels, full tanks of fuel etc. (Hence the curb weight quotes hehe) I am after the original values. I just got hold of an install of this on my iPod touch as it looked to be quite good... as long as you mount it correctly and give it as much accurate info as possible :) I only have my bog basic Jap import NA to test it on at the moment (some 18" alloys that I need to find weight of to make a differential calculation) and the missus Fiesta ;). I have found some discrepancy in the figures whilst searching the internet for Supra info and no definitive answer - I guess I missed it (I thumbed through many search threads on here and haven't come up with what I was expecting). I suspect (and hope even) that someone will point me in the direction of something that has popped up previously on this subject... and if so, can I ask someone to sticky/FAQ it? ;) Cheers chaps (and chapettes).

So... what are the official weights of the stock supra models? I know there are likely to be weight savings here, bling MDF ICE weight++ stuff there, fuel, fat/thin drivers, extra weight for single installs(?), aftermarket wheels, full tanks of fuel etc. (Hence the curb weight quotes hehe) I am after the original values. I just got hold of an install of this on my iPod touch as it looked to be quite good... as long as you mount it correctly and give it as much accurate info as possible :) I only have my bog basic Jap import NA to test it on at the moment (some 18" alloys that I need to find weight of to make a differential calculation) and the missus Fiesta ;). I have found some discrepancy in the figures whilst searching the internet for Supra info and no definitive answer - I guess I missed it (I thumbed through many search threads on here and haven't come up with what I was expecting). I suspect (and hope even) that someone will point me in the direction of something that has popped up previously on this subject... and if so, can I ask someone to sticky/FAQ it? ;) Cheers chaps (and chapettes).

They are lardy girls, I think its 1450 for the SZ and 1550 for the TT's however someone had theirs on the scales and it came in at 1650!

Yeah, just wondered how accurate it was compared to GPS.

My GPS Speedo app measures 0-60/0-100, but due to the slow datarate (1 update a second) it's only ever good for a bit of fun and a general measurement.

Still the speed cam detection seems to work now, just need to work on the shape of the detection area.

• 5 months later...