The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thinking of changing cam belt and pulley. Easy or difficult.

RedM

As per the title, I'm thinking of changing the cam-belt and the tensioner thngummy.

What kind fo a job is it and what tools are needed. Anthing special?

Also, do I need to look out, be aware of or avoid doing while doing the job.

BTW, had a search and couldn't find a 'how to'. If there is one please feel free to link to it so I look a right fool.

Easy Peeesy - Get jody to send you a crank pulley tool FOC Martin.

Easy peesy? You have to remember that I often have difficulty just pumping my tyres up.:blink:

BTW, have pm'ed Jody and you re: autobox fitting. Forgot mkivstore is still closed. Oops.

Markssupra has done a how-to, complete with pictures, in colour. He also has the tools.

I've been building a lovely polished set of tools but I haven't found a main disc yet.

If you borrow any tools

Beware of putting the bolts too far through the disc and damaging the plastic front cover behind the pulley.

You'll need a big breaker bar 1/2" drive as a minimum and a quality socket, and a big big pipe to put over the breaker bar.

Just been thinking that the cost of all the tools would probably be close to the cost of paying a 'bloke who knows' to do it.

true but in the future you would never take the car to garage to replace the coolant or radiator again, as once you've done this you will see how easy it is.

The tools = the cost theory needs to be looked at as a long term view. If you do not think that you will use the tools in the future then you may be right in just getting it done by a garage. 1/2" drive sockets and a breaker bar will come in handy for things like brake discs subframe bolts and the like.

If you DIY, you'll 'know' you didn't heat the crank pulley, and you'll 'know' you correctly set the cambelt tensioner.

If i were you i'd look at removing the rad..........if this spooks you then just take it to the garage.......if you manage this and get that semi confident feeling then with the guides on here and the right tools it should go fine.............

Scooter talks sense :) Long term view, I've no problem spending cash on say a valve stem removal tool or a breaker bar as they will probably last longer than I will.

And the only timing you have to set up is aligning the cam pulleys to notches in the timing plate, and the crank to it's 0deg setting, and then putting the belt on. If you manage to get it a whole belt tooth out then you shouldn't even be driving :D

-Ian

a gotcha for me was finding a vice with a large enough gape to compress the cambelt tensioner.............and also a thin enough pin (i used a 1-2mm allen key in the end) to reset it.........

it all sounds like a faff but it isn't if you are prepared.........

You can do it without removing the tensioner but you have to undo it's bolts to about the last turn of thread to stand a chance of getting the belt on :)

-Ian

apparently though, putting it back ie setting the tensioner from this position is a no no......

it should be released via the pin method........i'm not sure why its not ok to do it the cheat way! but according to CW (no less) it is. (i think it puts the cambelt under higher tensioner than the correct pin method)

apparently though, putting it back ie setting the tensioner from this position is a no no......

it should be released via the pin method........i'm not sure why its not ok to do it the cheat way! but according to CW (no less) it is. (i think it puts the cambelt under higher tensioner than the correct pin method)

Heh well from pissing about with camshafts I've done it that way about three times now and not noticed any abnormal belt wear or other problems. The first time I did it was back in 2003...

-Ian

As per the title, I'm thinking of changing the cam-belt and the tensioner thngummy.

What kind fo a job is it and what tools are needed. Anthing special?

Also, do I need to look out, be aware of or avoid doing while doing the job.

BTW, had a search and couldn't find a 'how to'. If there is one please feel free to link to it so I look a right fool.

Its here FOOL. :) Have a go Martin, when I looked at doing it I thought :omg: but it really isnt too difficult as long as you take care over it, and you get the satisfaction of knowing you done the job properly plus your car hasnt been taken round the local test track.